PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard NFL Scout Quote: "Belichick is through screwing around"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Bedard NFL Scout Quote: "Belichick is through screwing around"

Meh, preseason.

When oh when will the patsfans.com 2-gap/read-and-react apologists step up and beg for forgiveness and mercy?

Here's one for our draftniks:

I know, I know... it don't mean nothin', it's loose talk in a press box. But that's got to be a good sign (if we really want to look at pre-season performances for signs.)

We need to keep in mind that a fan's perspective of pre-season is different from a coach's. A team's coaches know what a player is supposed to be doing according to the play book. Scouts are looking at potential cuts whose style of play could fit their teams' needs. Most fans are out of the loop on this stuff and for many pre-season football just isn't exciting. These games are very important for coaching staffs.

True
I remember serious wood over Michael Bishop to Sean Morey (?) 4th QTR pre-season heroics

I've been a fan since the 80's.. through good times and bad.

But the team I fell in love with, I did so for their defense.

I can't count the times an opposing team would be down on our 3 yard line and threatening a win and I would calm down and say "It's all right, Vrabel or Bruschi are going to come up big here".

And they did.

Don't get me wrong, our offense is great. Touchdowns are great and I try my absolute best to appreciate the magic of what I'm fortunate to be witnessing

...but watching other teams tear through us and push us around at will just breaks my heart.

I want the defense of old back.

And this is the first year since Bruschi retired that I've had some real hope that the Patriot defense of old is about to rise from the ashes.

Last edited:

I can't count the times an opposing team would be down on our 3 yard line and threatening a win and I would calm down and say "It's all right, Vrabel or Bruschi are going to come up big here".

And they did.

Don't get me wrong, our offense is great. Touchdowns are great and I try my absolute best to appreciate the magic of what I'm fortunate to be witnessing

...but watching other teams tear through us and push us around at will just breaks my heart.

And this is the first year since Bruschi retired that I've had some real hope that the Patriot defense of old is about to rise from the ashes.

And we're not entirely healthy either. No Spikes, no Cunningham, no Wright or Brace, no Dowling etc.

When oh when will the patsfans.com 2-gap/read-and-react apologists step up and beg for forgiveness and mercy?

You do realize that they are still mostly playing two-gap? When you see line backers blitz the formation, it's because you have a DL playing two-gap.

The Patriots D is undergoing a change in personnel and alignment....not philosophy.

Belichick knows that fundamental read-and-react Defense is not spectacular. It is merely effective and winning football.

Casual football fans like the attacking Defense just like they like running fools like Vick and Young running around, and occasionally throwing a completion. But who never win anything important.

But what you get is spectacular 5, and 6 yard sacks and losses. In return you get occasional 50, and 60 Yard TD throws against you too. Belichick has never had a Team that didn't end up in the Top Ten in the only Defensive stat that really counts, Points Against. he does that by forcing you to work hard for every score, and not give up anything cheap.

I think that he will use this Year as a penetrating 4-3 attacking year, since he could sign and now has a bunch of old vets that can do it, for maybe another year and possibly two. Meanwhile his youngsters continue to learn, and another draft will let him return to his favorite read-and-react type Defenses.

By the way, I read the title of this thread and I had to fight so hard not to make a Sharon Shenocca comment.

Am I a bad person? :(

You do realize that they are still mostly playing two-gap? When you see line backers blitz the formation, it's because you have a DL playing two-gap.

The Patriots D is undergoing a change in personnel and alignment....not philosophy.

Not according to these guys...
Davin Joseph said:
They used to be a 3-4, gapping-type defense. They’re more of an attacking defense now.
Anonymous NFC Exec said:
What we saw tonight, if that’s the way they continue to go into the season, is a complete departure from what we saw last season. They’re not reacting. They’re dictating.

And they did.

Nice first post! Welcome!

Last night, I was actually psyched when Tampa got the ball, because I got to watch more of this defense. Been a long time since I had that feeling.

He needs to address the middle of the defense then. All J. Johnson did Yesterday was complete to wide open guys in the middle of the park. Just reminded me of last season and the season before that.
I predict that we will sign a safety this weekend but I think they will wait when the first wave of cuts occur to know what or who they have on the table.
If Page does not make the Eagles, I hope he comes back here.

Last edited:

All J. Johnson did Yesterday was complete to wide open guys in the middle of the park.

Never seen somebody go 6/17 and then be described as throwing to guys who were wide open:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes