PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard film review: Patriots vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who like Felger and Maz listen for an average of 47 mins/day.
People who hate Felger and Maz listen for an average of 64 mins/day.
People who obsess about F & M listen for 4 hours but deny their addiction
Right out of "Private Parts."
Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

You do have to admit Bedard is a humorless wonk whose personality is designed for print only. The beauty of the Bedard segments is the Oscar Madison/Felix Unger interaction.

The only beauty of the dynamics between Felger and Mazz vs. Bedard is how Bedard exposes how little Mazz actually knows about football. I think Bedard is fine for radio with the right hosts. For years he did other shows locally with no problems.

I thought Kline played pretty well last year, and was surprised that he was behind Devey - after Devey consistently looked poor through the first four games.
I think Devey has looked awful. He can't play the techniques the Patriots use. And apparently he's not too bright, based on this example.

I guess he will be on tomorrow. Some early observations from his feed

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 3h3 hours ago
2 plays after being flagged for ineligible receiver downfield, Devey was in the end zone with LOS at the 10. Uh...

B0bspy2CQAAGlNg.png:large

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 3h3 hours ago
That's the reason Brady couldn't throw it away and instead took the -1 sack.

Is Bedard telling me that Brady saw Devy's number downfield (inelligible) and took the sack because of the penalty?

Man we have a smart quarterback!

(Wonder how many fans of other teams look at that play and use it as proof that he in decline?)

EDIT: I see now several posters have already made exactly these points. Well, I agree ;)

I used to like the show. I listened all the time. Now I basically only listen to the Bedard, Perillo, and Gasper segments (because there is a rational voice above all the noise). Otherwise, I listen to Dale and Holley or a podcast like PFW. I might switch to Felger and Mazz if Dale and Holley are in commercial.

Personally, I think Felger and Mazz have fallen into the same trap that Glenn Ordway did. They are starting to buy into their ratings dominance and going overboard with their on air personas. It made Ordway unlistenable and it has made Felger and Mazz unlistenable.

My latest theory is that they've decided their core demographic is the haters so that's who they play to. That way they get the added benefit of outraged Pats supporters calling as well. Best of both worlds. For them. For us, not so much.

Wait, you mean to say the Jordan Devey didn't just think he could run downfield on a pass play?
I'm shocked.

Come on Andy. He's a tuba player. That's what tuba players do.

Come on Andy. He's a tuba player. That's what tuba players do.
I'm sure he has an ugly wife and a dog that pees on the floor too.

Can we trade for that AWTE?

AWTE, Jay Shields, and Andy Johnson are the 3 best film analysts on the 2 message boards, IMHO. All far better than any of the regular "professional" analysis that we get.

AWTE, Jay Shields, and Andy Johnson are the 3 best film analysts on the 2 message boards, IMHO. All far better than any of the regular "professional" analysis that we get.

I think you need to add yourself to that list Mayo.

Really enjoy your observations.

I think you need to add yourself to that list Mayo.

Really enjoy your observations.

Absolutely NOT. I appreciate the compliment (and I try to contribute to the best of my ability), but I'm talking about detailed film analysis, with a really good understanding of X's and O's. I'm not good enough to trust myself doing that without making mistakes - the kind that we see columnists make all the time when they try to do detailed analysis. That's partly my point - you need to know your limits. The 3 guys I mentioned all have a much more detailed understanding of X's and O's than I do. I just try to learn from them.

FWIW, here is bedard's reply to this post i sent him

Interesting. "Didn't see" doesn't align with what AWTE said at all, nor do I see a reason why a guy shouldn't just keep pushing his man downfield on a running play.

That has the fragrance of someone dancing to support a flawed conclusion.

Considering I just spent a whole thread pimping Bedard's OL analysis, this serves a bit of hubris for me.

I appreciate his effort, though, and he is still better than anybody else getting paid to do it.

Thank you. Wish I had more time to do it.

Considering I just spent a whole thread pimping Bedard's OL analysis, this serves a bit of hubris for me.

I appreciate his effort, though, and he is still better than anybody else getting paid to do it.

I too appreciate his effort, and he is much better at it than most columnists. But it's a good reminder of taking analysis with a grain of salt.

Interesting. "Didn't see" doesn't align with what AWTE said at all, nor do I see a reason why a guy shouldn't just keep pushing his man downfield on a running play.

That has the fragrance of someone dancing to support a flawed conclusion.

Agree that no one would ever teach an OL to stop his block to look back and see if the QB unilaterally changed the play to a pass without an audible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back