PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's contract details per Adam Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not even really the off season and already we are discussing the meaning of multiple sources and the merits of Adam Sheftler.. what will we be doing in June??

It is not even really the off season and already we are discussing the meaning of multiple sources and the merits of Adam Sheftler.. what will we be doing in June??

Talking about how we drafted 10 future HOFers, of course. ;)

I don't get the point of having a contract with mutual options. If either side can back out of the contract after every season, what is the point of having a three year deal. These must be incentive based options like if Belichick win the Super Bowl he can nulify his remaining year or if he has a losing season Kraft can do the same. Otherwise, either side could threaten to exercise their option every year to renegotiate the contract in their favor based on how well the Pats did that year.
Because they both realize they each want to work with someone with whom they respect and who WANTS to work with them.

Neither would want to be there if the other didn't want him, so what makes their system workable is that they know the other person wants wants them.

You really can't exercise that option as a ploy. If you exercise it, then you are a free agent. It isn't re-negotiation at all. You are basically quitting and then trying to get the guy to hire you back at more money. Besides, if either were the type to do something like this, the other wouldn't want him anyway.

Why not mutual clauses? We have two people who respect each other as individuals and as businessmen in the NFL. It is not unknown for such relationships to go sour - if one or the other can't deal with the (potential) problems they have the option to cut the tie. BB has the leverage to make such a deal with an owner, and Bob Kraft has the business smarts to negotiate a mutual contract that protects the team, but also respects the best coach in the NFL.

As usual, I don't understand worry over BB's departure. He and Scott Pioli are clearly loving the challenge of maintaining a winner. They have Bob and Jonathan Kraft who clearly believe in that vision and are working hand in glove with BB/SP to maintain that winner.

Most contracts in the NFL do not give out unconditional options. There is no point for a team to give them out and they definitely do not protect the team. Kraft is not know for deals where the person he is dealing with can walk away for nothing.

Say Kraft and Belichick have a falling out and Belichick decides to exercize his option and then become the Dolphins' head coach in spite (sorta like what Parcells did with the Jets except he tried to play games with his contract claiming he was GM and coach of the Jets and then just a consultant). I don't see Kraft opening himself up to a situation where Belichick can either hold him up for more money or walk away to another team with no compensation for the Pats. This is the same guy who has made sure that Pioli's contract has him listed as the key decision maker eventhough Belichick is actually the key decision maker to stop him from freely leaving to another team who will offer him a GM role.

I don't think Belichick has it so he can just walk away from the team unless his contract really expires after next season and there is a mutual option to extend it another year or two. It just doesn't make sense and it doesn't fit into the way the Krafts do business.

As for Belichick leaving the Pats, I agree that it is total media generated story. If Pioli seriously thought Belichick was going to leave after this year, he would have at least interviewed with the Giants. I don't Belichick leaving the Pats unless something sours with Kraft, the team goes on a several losing streak, or he decides to retire.

Last edited:
the idea of a mutual option makes perfect sense:

BB - "I don't want to sign a long-term contract and get stuck in it"
Kraft - "what do you want?"
BB - "I want the ability to opt-out at any time"
Kraft - "ok. but if you get the option, so do I."

It's a crappy deal for Kraft, but if it would be the only way to bring BB back it'd be worth it. It'd be better for BB than a new 1 year deal every year because it means that if he wants to stay he can just work under the deal rather than going through the negotiation process each year. Both sides deal with the risk of being dropped by the other, which is offset by not being restricted by it in the future.

the idea of a mutual option makes perfect sense:

BB - "I don't want to sign a long-term contract and get stuck in it"
Kraft - "what do you want?"
BB - "I want the ability to opt-out at any time"
Kraft - "ok. but if you get the option, so do I."

It's a crappy deal for Kraft, but if it would be the only way to bring BB back it'd be worth it. It'd be better for BB than a new 1 year deal every year because it means that if he wants to stay he can just work under the deal rather than going through the negotiation process each year. Both sides deal with the risk of being dropped by the other, which is offset by not being restricted by it in the future.

Options to remove years are typically tied to incentives. Options to add years are usually mutual agreements. I think we are probably splitting hairs.

Belichick probably has a contract through next year with an option for future years that will probably be picked up unless one side informs the other they choose not to pick up the option.

I still can't see Kraft agreeing to a contract where Belichick can exercise an option and then go to another team without the Patriots getting compensation. That has nothing to do with mutual respect. It has to go to protecting an asset. Do you really see Kraft agreeing to a contract where Belichick can decide to walk away from it in the middle of it and become let's say the Dolphins' head coach without Kraft having the ability to stop it or get draft pick compensation?

There has to be conditions to the options or the options are to extend a contract that ends before the the three years Schefter states. Kraft is too shrewd of a businessman to agree to a contract that could come back and bite him no matter how much he respects Belichick. By all accounts he respects Pioli just as much, but they put language in his contract to protect the Pats if Pioli took a GM job elsewhere.

he also reported parcells was coming back FWIW

And that McDaniels was a leading candidate for the Raiders job.

But wait.... Schefter knows everything, even the fact that BB really really loves Houston. :rolleyes:

I don't get the point of having a contract with mutual options. If either side can back out of the contract after every season, what is the point of having a three year deal. These must be incentive based options like if Belichick win the Super Bowl he can nulify his remaining year or if he has a losing season Kraft can do the same. Otherwise, either side could threaten to exercise their option every year to renegotiate the contract in their favor based on how well the Pats did that year.

I'm not a football coach and I don't make BB type of money, but I work exclusively under contracts. These always have an "out" for both sides. It's too hard to get companies or individuals to sign otherwise. I know it works differently in the NFL, but the reason for doing so is the same: Making the contract more palatable for both parties. It's actually a great thing to have this as its a sign of trust between the Pats and BB. If he were coaching the for the Raiders, for example, he would likely not give them an out or get an option from them. They'd pay the cash value of the contract period.

I would not be so quick to dismiss, adam Schefter.. he is a good reporter... But I would hope Belichick is here for another 3 yrs and retire...

A good reporter who seems to have an agenda against the Pats.

And that McDaniels was a leading candidate for the Raiders job.

But wait.... Schefter knows everything, even the fact that BB really really loves Houston. :rolleyes:

On NFL last night he was positively drooling while reporting that this years Pro Bowl, while usually ho hum, will have some spice due to Tomlinson's comments re BB! What a weasle he is!!!:rolleyes:

I'm not a football coach and I don't make BB type of money, but I work exclusively under contracts. These always have an "out" for both sides. It's too hard to get companies or individuals to sign otherwise. I know it works differently in the NFL, but the reason for doing so is the same: Making the contract more palatable for both parties. It's actually a great thing to have this as its a sign of trust between the Pats and BB. If he were coaching the for the Raiders, for example, he would likely not give them an out or get an option from them. They'd pay the cash value of the contract period.

I bet your out says that you can't work for a direct competitor for x number of years. Virtually every employment contract I have seen has restriction some kind of restrictions post employment even with out. I'm sure Belichick has an out if he want to retire or coach in the college ranks. I really doubt he has an option that will allow him to resign from the Pats before his contract is done and then coach for another NFL team. Those type of contracts are not done in the NFL. I really doubt that Kraft allowed that either.

Look at Jeff Fisher. Jerry Jones would kill to sign him. He has one year left on his contract because the Titans exercised an option a few weeks back and the Titans have denied Jones permission to talk to Fisher. That is how the NFL works. Kraft is too smart of a owner to have it any other way.

From what Chris Mortenson has heard, is that his contract is year to year and he has options to add another year to his contract after each year. That make sense. Belichick having a 3 year deal and being able to option out to sign with another team doesn't make sense though.

There might be some kind of mutual respect that Kraft will let him out of his contract to pursue outside interests beyond the NFL coach ranks, but mutual respect will not give Belichick the freedom to break his contract and go and coach another team. I think people who think this are short changing Kraft's business mind. It has nothing to do with respect, it is bad business to allow your star employee to break his contract and go to a direct competitor without compensation.

There might be some kind of mutual respect that Kraft will let him out of his contract to pursue outside interests beyond the NFL coach ranks, but mutual respect will not give Belichick the freedom to break his contract and go and coach another team. I think people who think this are short changing Kraft's business mind. It has nothing to do with respect, it is bad business to allow your star employee to break his contract and go to a direct competitor without compensation.
Sure, that's probably one of Kraft's lines, Bill Cowher is still bound by his contract, but can be bought out if a team could entice him and was willing to pay the price. What price would Miami have to pay to make Kraft happy vs. say Arizona? I can see the two of them working to make the contract as friendly as possible for both parties in terms of the relationship they have - if Bob Kraft is willing to pay outlaw money to Bledsoe and Law, why wouldn't he be willing to give up a little of his control to keep a great business manager in place, they increased Pioli and Dimitroff's compensation after Seattle and Minnesota (respectively) tried to lure them away.

I don't think we disagree on the relationship, I just remember Kraft is a softy for this team, and BB "is" his team. I can see him being a little non-standard with the contract for the sake of his favorite coach, but I'd bet there are protections in place for him since we both agree he is an astute businessman who does remember the Parcells' fallout.

Last edited:
Options to remove years are typically tied to incentives. Options to add years are usually mutual agreements. I think we are probably splitting hairs.

Belichick probably has a contract through next year with an option for future years that will probably be picked up unless one side informs the other they choose not to pick up the option.

I still can't see Kraft agreeing to a contract where Belichick can exercise an option and then go to another team without the Patriots getting compensation. That has nothing to do with mutual respect. It has to go to protecting an asset. Do you really see Kraft agreeing to a contract where Belichick can decide to walk away from it in the middle of it and become let's say the Dolphins' head coach without Kraft having the ability to stop it or get draft pick compensation?

There has to be conditions to the options or the options are to extend a contract that ends before the the three years Schefter states. Kraft is too shrewd of a businessman to agree to a contract that could come back and bite him no matter how much he respects Belichick. By all accounts he respects Pioli just as much, but they put language in his contract to protect the Pats if Pioli took a GM job elsewhere.

you're absolutely correct except for the fact that there's nothing typical when you're talking about a coach who has won 3 superbowls in recent years with your team.

i'm probably wrong as wrong can be. but if kraft and belichick found themselves in a situation where BB was no longer under contract at that point kraft has no asset to protect. if the only way BB would come back to coach would be if he had an opt-out clause then kraft would have the option to either agree to it or not. maybe BB would be bluffing, but maybe he would walk away. would it be worth taking the chance he walked away, or even worse coached a different team?

as i said it'd be an awful deal for kraft, but it'd be better than losing BB.

The obvious "tell" here is the fact that Scott Pioli is staying put - happily in New England. That move alone obviously means the BB/SP duo are here for the long term.

No reason to leave, they have the ideal situation that every single coach/ GM type & owner dreams about.

Every action taken over the past few years always has an eye towards long term success.

While Sunday still hurts - the outlook is very good for our favorite franchise. Contracts be damned, if they wanted out they would find a way. There is no need and all the pieces remain solidly in place.

SEVEN...that's the total number of Superbowl rings I feel Tom Brady will be wearing when he finally hangs 'em up and BB/SP will be around for all of them

After what happened to him with the Jets, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an out clause.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. I put absolutely no credence in anything he reports. If something he says happens....it is serendipity...not insight. A true tool.

This BB leaving rumor has been floating around long enough that to some it has taken on a life of its own. I have no special insight.....but I doubt BB is leaving anytime soon. If I am wrong and BB does leave, I will buy and wear a Colt's championship hat to work for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News