PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB rips Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess so...nice pic of it.

But premature contact was by an imperceptible microsecond in real-time. Sure, the pic says that it's technically a foul, I'll give you that. But I think it's a matter of how anal you want to be. The pic shows how close it was too. You can't expect refs to have the benefit of things like that...it might take days to get through one game.

That said, I haven't heard the explanation from the league as to why they called it legal. Did they have one?

Let's just say it was a penalty by a fraction of a second that wasn't called...what then? What conclusions are drawn?

BTW, look at the way Wes is running into Talib here. Does not look to me like he's in position to try to hurt him. It seems to me like he's curling up to try to protect himself.

- How anal is the officiating when it comes to pass interference? If they look at those plays real close under review why not one like this?

- Does intent really matter? If a player doesn't intend to cause pass interference but they do it anyway the same flag is thrown.

- How anal is the officiating when it comes to pass interference? If they look at those plays real close under review why not one like this?

- Does intent really matter? If a player doesn't intend to cause pass interference but they do it anyway the same flag is thrown.

I honestly don't know what your argument is here, or, more specifically, why you would care so much if this was called a penalty or not. There was a pass interference no-call in your favor as well, and it probably cost the Broncos 4-points in that game. Whether Welker's hit was a penalty seems beside the point to me anyway...in my mind, the question is whether the play was dirty or not. I don't think Welker deserves the animosity some Pats fans are directing at him. That's what I'm talking about.

But about the penalty or lack thereof:

First of all, pass interference is not reviewable...we'll start there. I'd be first in line to say that it SHOULD be. Anything should be reviewable. You see it all the time where there was something like a 50-yard penalty or more on a complete bull**** PI call. Now, how does it make sense that something like that cannot be contested? That's a game-changing call right there.

Look at what happened last week in the Seattle game. The 49ers' Bowman CLEARLY forced a fumble on the goal-line and came down with possession of the ball...****ed up his knee big-time in the process as well, probably a severe MCL injury. Everyone and their grandmother knew Bowman had possession of the ball, but it's not reviewable. Seattle kept the ball on that play because that's what was called on the field, even though everyone knew that was wrong. That's just adding insult to injury, literally. Things like this piss everyone off on a weekly basis. I wonder if the league came out with a statement about THAT.

And don't expect the league to always tell the truth. In Welker's case, they probably said "close enough" and swept in under the rug. IMO, it was close enough, but I can see how Pats fans would disagree...so don't slam me. But look at the way the NFL handled the last second play in the Seattle/Green Bay game with the replacement officials...remember that? They didn't admit they were wrong there either (they were), and that ruling determined the outcome of the game...Welker's play did not determine the outcome of the game in terms of whether it was called a penalty or not. Personally, I can see how it wasn't called, even though it really was a penalty by a hair.

The real issue is whether it was a dirty hit. I don't think it was malicious in nature, and I can't find too many people outside of New England that thinks that it was, can you?

It's possible that they will address this issue, or at least look at it in the offseason when the competition committee meets. That alone could have been what Belichick was looking for, although my guess is that there was/has been some bad blood between he and Welker for awhile now, and his initial reaction was to be kind of pissed off.

It's quite possible that he still feels that way, or that he is human like the rest of us and has realized that he probably should have just kept his mouth shut. I honestly was shocked that he was so vocal about it. We normally don't see Belichick do that too often.

When Peyton tried to kick a San Diego player in his OMAHA region there was no mention of it anywhere.
chargers70.gif

When Peyton tried to kick a San Diego player in his OMAHA region there was no mention of it anywhere.
chargers70.gif

Oh, the persecution of it all...because that NEVER happens. Brady is actually much better at it. If this were karate, Brady would be a black belt, and Manning would have no belt at all...maybe a shoelace holding up his trousers.

Here we see Tom Brady trying to take Ed Reed out. In fact, I think he was actually trying to kill him.

This was in the Championship game last year...I suppose this was nothing, though:

1-22-13-Tom-Brady-slide_full_600.jpg

brady-ninja-1-20-131.gif

It should have been called a penalty, but the outrage about it was much ado about nohting. The hit wasn't legal, but it wasnt dirty either.

Here we see Tom Brady trying to take Ed Reed out. In fact, I think he was actually trying to kill him.

This was in the Championship game last year...I suppose this was nothing, though:

brady-ninja-1-20-131.gif

This was nothing, just as Manning's attempt to tickle the balls of the San diego player.

Oh, the persecution of it all...because that NEVER happens. Brady is actually much better at it. If this were karate, Brady would be a black belt, and Manning would have no belt at all...maybe a shoelace holding up his trousers.

Here we see Tom Brady trying to take Ed Reed out. In fact, I think he was actually trying to kill him in the worst play I've seen.

brady-ninja-1-20-131.gif

I believe that the point the poster is trying to make is that it was pretty ironic that we constantly heard about how insanely horrible Brady's slide was, yet didn't hear one peep about Peyton Manning, who did the exact same thing.

That's a pretty big double standard right there, that one could be replayed on national sports shows for 7 days straight and be the focal point of so much attention, while the exact same move made by the "other" fan favorite QB doesn't even get the slightest whiff of attention.

This was nothing, just as Manning's attempt to tickle the balls of the San diego player.

Manning's attempt was beyond feeble...

But was Brady's ninja kick a dirty play? A malicious attempt to take out a top defender in a Championship game?

Tit for tat now...completely relevant for this topic of this thread.

Let's see who is a hypocrite homer.

Is this one of the worst plays you've seen? Or is it OK because Reed wasn't actually hurt? What?

I believe that the point the poster is trying to make is that it was pretty ironic that we constantly heard about how insanely horrible Brady's slide was, yet didn't hear one peep about Peyton Manning, who did the exact same thing.

That's a pretty big double standard right there, that one could be replayed on national sports shows for 7 days straight and be the focal point of so much attention, while the exact same move made by the "other" fan favorite QB doesn't even get the slightest whiff of attention.

Finally,someone who speaks English . :rocker::rocker:

LOL at EXACTLY the same thing...what Manning did was pathetic and laughable IMO, not really dangerous at all. Brady's kick had potential to do some serious harm to a major player in a huge game, or at least "take him out." The huge difference between the two is obvious, but that is beside the point. We aren't talking about Manning. Who gives a **** about media attention?

You want to talk about "the same thing," then if you can forgive Brady, then you can forgive Welker. Talk to me about a double standard...mmm-kay

Explain to me the difference in principle between what Brady did to Reed and what Welker did to Talib...in principle, now. I'd like to hear your opinion about that.

But was Brady's ninja kick a dirty play? A malicious attempt to take out a top defender in a Championship game?

Is this one of the worst plays you've seen? Or is it OK because Reed wasn't actually hurt? What?

Let Mr Pickett teach you how a QB slide is done
800px-Pickett_QB_slide.jpg

LOL at EXACTLY the same thing...what Manning did was pathetic and laughable IMO, not really dangerous at all. Brady's kick had potential to do some serious harm to a major player in a huge game, or at least "take him out." The huge difference between the two is obvious, but that is beside the point. We aren't talking about Manning. Who gives a **** about media attention?

You want to talk about "the same thing," then if you can forgive Brady, then you can forgive Welker. Talk to me about a double standard...mmm-kay

Explain to me the difference in principle between what Brady did to Reed and what Welker did to Talib...in principle, now. I'd like to hear your opinion about that.

throwout.gif

I still think that if the league doesn't do something about this in the offseason, Belichick is going to design some major rub plays next year. He'll plan plays to have some big WR take out the other team's DB. It'll probably be on a play inside the ten, as that's where a short crossing pattern has the biggest potential for a score. Maybe they'll call the play the "Omaha slam"?

The League really needed to toe the line on this one and for an organization that is suppose to control the number sport in America, they really do a poor job of it. Look, I can understand if they want to preserve the integrity (or lack thereof) of the game or even players. but, when we can take a still and clearly show that the contact was made prior to the pass, then that's ridiculous and the only reason they seem to "get away" with it is because it's against the Patriots.

I don't believe it was dirty. I do believe it was designed. I don't know if the contact was suppose to be as violent as it was. but, the League would have been best served to say that the contact was initiated slightly before the ball was there and could be a penalty (if called that way) and this is the type of bam-bam play that is too hard to judge in real time. Everyone would have won that way.

the only open-rule question I have is, does the receiver have to have possession and "make a football move" for the block to happen or when the ball contacts a receivers hands? it just adds to the timing of when to start the clock

Looks like it's open season on DBs for now (as long as you can time it right). And maybe some fo those big bodies tight ends can do a slightly better job. Though, it's a good strategy sending in the smaller guy, because who would believe it';d be intentional that way.

brady-ninja-1-20-131.gif
"Trying to kill him"? Jesus, honey, you really do need that dark chocolate...

Troll says what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday