PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB rips Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wish BB was this vocal when Spygate came out....

Yep. That was a terrible press conference by Brady.

Osi (I think it was him) said Tuck and a couple of his other defensive teammates on the Giants were "seeing red" when they saw a clip of Brady scoffing at the 17 points prediction.

Brady did give the right answer - "They're a great team and they should be confident", but it was too late. That was an un-Patriot-like thing to do and who knows - maybe it fired up the Giants enough to put them over the top.

If my memory serves right, I think Brady said something like why not 43-42 (still Giants W). And if you think of the fact that we had Randy Moss and that our O had just broken a few records that season, who wouldn't be confident?

So, no, I don't fault Brady for that comment.

In fact, I am amazed at the poise and the grace at which some of the top NFL guys like Brady conduct their PC. Every single word and pause is dissected and analyzed @ such a minute level that I am surprised that these guys even want to do PCs. How tough it must be to be constantly on guard when they speak to the press, given how easy it would be to automatically respond with their true thoughts - especially when asked stupid or provocative questions.

Anyway. Back to the OP.

I too wish BB was vocal when Cameragate came out.

He did give a splendid interview on CBS and it looks like it hoped that would be sufficient but sadly no.

Yep. That was a terrible press conference by Brady.

Osi (I think it was him) said Tuck and a couple of his other defensive teammates on the Giants were "seeing red" when they saw a clip of Brady scoffing at the 17 points prediction.

Brady did give the right answer - "They're a great team and they should be confident", but it was too late. That was an un-Patriot-like thing to do and who knows - maybe it fired up the Giants enough to put them over the top.

sb1-
I agree with you, but I was not questioning Brady's modesty or humbleness - I think any non-Pats fan takes his demeanor to be a bit fake and contrived. I don't think he is humble and I don't care one way or the other. This is not college ball where you want your athletes to be good in the classroom and off the court/field. This is professional sports where the ONLY thing I care about is wins and Championships. Brady has failed to delver. Blame it on not having the offensive talent (no one seemed to be crying when we were winning Lombardis the Pattens and Givens' of the world...yet we could not make it happen when we had the Mosses, Stalwarths, and Welkers). Remember when Randy Moss was phased out of the offense in 2011? Or when we tried to do that to Welker in 2012?
Those 2 players helped Brady become "all world" after he was often referred to as a dink and dunk system QB in his early years. Well, maybe he is. His best pass is the accurate, straight-line 5-15 yard strike. He does not do well in deep throws that require touch. Our DB's give up "indefensible" throws all the time to other good QB's...how often does Tom drop a 40 yard bomb over the shoulder and in stride to only where "his guy" can catch it. Moss gave Brady an incredible catch radius and made Tom's throws look pretty amazing. Welker took 5yard passes for 15 yard gains. The play action bomb to a WIDE OPEN Amendola in the Colts game was not a great throw...he had to slow down to a virtual stop to catch it and had no way to continue running.
I would love to see a stat on Brady completing passes that are in the air longer than 20 yards. I bet he has a decent completion percentage but a low number of attempts...probably disproportionate to his otherwise high number of total attempts/completions.

In closing - I am just upset. We don't have much cap room and there is no tremendous help coming to the offense (Gronk is not durable and if Edelman walks, everyone will talk about Brady not having weapons). We need Vince to rework his contract and if we lose Talib...we will be stuck without a really dependable corner and go back to drafting DB's hoping they are able to play out their rookie contracts without either sucking or breaking. I swear, if I saw Tavon, Ras-I, Wheatly, or Wilhite on the street (I would not recognize them because thats how useless they are) I'd punch 'em in the face. They are like Chris Canty all over again.

If my memory serves right, I think Brady said something like why not 43-42 (still Giants W). And if you think of the fact that we had Randy Moss and that our O had just broken a few records that season, who wouldn't be confident?

Even if he felt that confident - why make it public? Why would he scoff or laugh at his opponent knowing full well they were watching? I know what the 2001-04 Pats would do to a QB that did that and it wouldn't be pretty.

And that still told the NFC Champs that their defense wasn't good enough to hold them to less than 42 points. How is that not disrespectful?

The fact the Giants said they "saw red" when they saw the PC speaks volumes. Love Brady but he should have known better.

Uncle Meat also once said that posting here as a Bills fan is like being a Jew in Nazi Germany, so... yeah. He's something.

Whenever you pull the Nazi card in a debate you've lost and no one should pay further attention to you.

Whenever you pull the Nazi card in a debate you've lost and no one should pay further attention to you.

But I didn't do that...the "Nazi card."

I also didn't attack anyone here, nor did I wish someone comes off the field on a stretcher, unlike others.

Here are Blandino's words:
Now we have to look to see when was the ball touched in relation to the contact. You'll see here, as the contact occurs, the ball is touched almost simultaneously. We don't have a foul for pass interference.

For the second time this season, "almost simultaneous" was good enough for him.

I kind of wish BB hadn't said this. I think Welker intentionally collided w/Talin to open up DT on the crossing route but absolutely not w/the purpose of taking him out of the game. Seems like BB's dislike of Welker more than a fair judgement of the play.

I don't blame Welker for trying to take out a defensive player. For years the defensive game plan against him was to try to injure him....

but nt Talib--Talib is not a headhunter. Take out some goon like Pollard, but not Talib.

sb1-
I agree with you, but I was not questioning Brady's modesty or humbleness - I think any non-Pats fan takes his demeanor to be a bit fake and contrived. I don't think he is humble and I don't care one way or the other. This is not college ball where you want your athletes to be good in the classroom and off the court/field. This is professional sports where the ONLY thing I care about is wins and Championships. Brady has failed to delver. Blame it on not having the offensive talent (no one seemed to be crying when we were winning Lombardis the Pattens and Givens' of the world...yet we could not make it happen when we had the Mosses, Stalwarths, and Welkers). Remember when Randy Moss was phased out of the offense in 2011? Or when we tried to do that to Welker in 2012?
Those 2 players helped Brady become "all world" after he was often referred to as a dink and dunk system QB in his early years. Well, maybe he is. His best pass is the accurate, straight-line 5-15 yard strike. He does not do well in deep throws that require touch. Our DB's give up "indefensible" throws all the time to other good QB's...how often does Tom drop a 40 yard bomb over the shoulder and in stride to only where "his guy" can catch it. Moss gave Brady an incredible catch radius and made Tom's throws look pretty amazing. Welker took 5yard passes for 15 yard gains. The play action bomb to a WIDE OPEN Amendola in the Colts game was not a great throw...he had to slow down to a virtual stop to catch it and had no way to continue running.
I would love to see a stat on Brady completing passes that are in the air longer than 20 yards. I bet he has a decent completion percentage but a low number of attempts...probably disproportionate to his otherwise high number of total attempts/completions.

Looked it up.

Brady this season on passes thrown 20+ yards in the air
17-61, 580 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT.

I don't know about the system QB label but Charlie and BB definitely had the reins on him for his first couple of seasons. He only attempted 51 of these passes in 2002.

That presser just irked me when it happened. Intentionally or not - dude called out his Super Bowl opponent and disrespected them in front of the media. If was Plaxico I would be laughing after I saw that because that's exactly what I was hoping he'd say. To me that was just un Patriot like. I don't know if he's a humble guy or not, or at least as humble as the public face he puts on... but that certainly wasn't.

NFL confirms the hit was legal:

NFL confirms Wes Welker?s hit on Aqib Talib was legal | ProFootballTalk

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/426123554611294209

NFL head of refs Dean Blandino on the Welker/Talib play: “Under the current rules, this is a legal play.”

Absolute horse****. Of course Goodell had his stooge mouthpiece for officiating come out and say it was legal. Wouldn't want people talking about it leading up to the Super Bowl.

But if it is supposedly a legal play then why the hell was this called a penalty?

Jcy9M.gif

Guess it is just legal for Manning and the Broncos and illegal for every other team.

Then the "current rules" suck.

Why do I even watch the NFL. Lately I have nothing but contempt for it.

No. See it is illegal for every other team just not the Broncos. Goodell's stooge just basically told the Broncos pick the Seahawks all you want in the Super Bowl and you won't be flagged for it.

Goodell wants that fairy tale ending for Manning. Just like last year the NFL got Ray Lewis one more ring in his last year.

But if it is supposedly a legal play then why the hell was this called a penalty?

Jcy9M.gif

Because the defender obviously made contact WELL before the football was touched by the receiver or anyone else.

On the other play, Welker collided with Talib around the same time Thomas touched the ball. Hard to make that differentiation in real time on Welker's play, too. Even with slow-motion, it's close. The call (or non-call) is not reviewable.

Once someone besides the QB touches the ball, contact like this is called a block.

Pick plays are not always illegal, but this gif shows a clear and blatant violation of the rules. You can't do that.

Because the defender obviously made contact WELL before the football was touched by the receiver or anyone else.

On the other play, Welker collided with Talib around the same time Thomas touched the ball. Hard to make that differentiation in real time on Welker's play, too. Even with slow-motion, it's close. The call (or non-call) is not reviewable.

Once someone besides the QB touches the ball, contact like this is called a block.

Pick plays are not always illegal, but this gif shows a clear and blatant violation of the rules. You can't do that.

la-sp-sn-welker-hit-on-talib-20140121

Welker made contact before the ball was caught.

Got anymore to say troll?

Fact is if some random person can take a screenshot of the play at the point where Welker hits Talib and it clearly shows the ball hadn't been touched yet then the NFL has no leg to stand on calling it a legal play.

Here's a legally block by a WR

j6q47.gif

la-sp-sn-welker-hit-on-talib-20140121

Welker made contact before the ball was caught.

I guess so...nice pic of it.

But premature contact was by an imperceptible microsecond in real-time. Sure, the pic says that it's technically a foul, I'll give you that. But I think it's a matter of how anal you want to be. The pic shows how close it was too. You can't expect refs to have the benefit of things like that...it might take days to get through one game.

That said, I haven't heard the explanation from the league as to why they called it legal. Did they have one?

Let's just say it was a penalty by a fraction of a second that wasn't called...what then? What conclusions are drawn?

BTW, look at the way Wes is running into Talib here. Does not look to me like he's in position to try to hurt him. It seems to me like he's curling up to try to protect himself. Is this the way to go about hurting someone's knee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes