PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB about to tie Landry - Halas and Shula next

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As BB prepares for his 270th win to tie Landry for 3rd spot, I'd like to discuss what his chances are to pass Halas (324 wins) and Shula (347 wins).

Our current pace of 12-14 wins per season, and 1-3 postseason wins, if continues, gives him 15 wins per season. With another half season to go, he needs 4-5 more seasons. Will it happen?

Thoughts?

As BB prepares for his 270th win to tie Landry for 3rd spot, I'd like to discuss what his chances are to pass Halas (324 wins) and Shula (347 wins).

Our current pace of 12-14 wins per season, and 1-3 postseason wins, if continues, gives him 15 wins per season. With another half season to go, he needs 4-5 more seasons. Will it happen?

Thoughts?
I certainly hope so but regardless I fk’n hate Shula. I can’t imagine BB ever being so crass and bitter and petty after he retires as Shula is.

Shula's a bitter, senile old man.

d9a.gif

He was a heck of a coach for his first 25 years but once the league focus changed from running to passing he was never as successful. Did not have the ability to put together a complete team around Marino and barely had any playoff success his final 10 years from what I remember. Does not do himself any favors with the undefeated team champagne celebration nonsense and his general bitter old man routine with Belichick.

I think he will coach to 70. As stated, 5 more seasons including this one with an average of 12-14 wins per season (assuming that amazing pace can be kept up and Brady is here etc) = 60-70 more wins

That would put him around 330-340ish wins in 5 years at 70 years old. And if he was thinking of retiring - at that point he is only a season away from catching Shula so I see him doing it especially given Shula's pathetic attitude towards the Pats. I think BB wants the record.

You have BB's 2009 statement about not coaching into his 70s. You have a statement from Kraft that "he knows" when that retirement day will come (age or some other criteria?). Belichick likely was not a fan of Marv Levy, the man he referenced when stating he did not want to coach into his 70s (i.e., with all the Bills talent, they were not achieving and Levy seemed old and tired.

Hopefully all the cryptic references mean Belichick plans on passing Shula and earning that place in history (unlike QB statistics, the volatility of the head coach position may allow that record to stand in perpetuity), unless he lacks the physical ability to go on as head coach. I like Ivan Fears's statement that Belichick will likely have to be carried from his role as head coach.

Unless this plan is coach until 70, he could challenge the regular season win total of 328 (85 more to go). That seems like a tough goal to achieve, as that would take 7 good seasons with 12 wins to challenge. I'd love to see that happen, as that would mean 7 more years of 31 fan bases hating the Pats. After 17 great seasons, that seems too much to wish for.

I always believed Brady would get the win’s records but Shula is too far off for Belichick to catch. I think Belichick lives on his own terms and won’t allow his feelings about Shula to lead him to coach just to catch him.

You never know, but I just don't think BB is going to be around past 3-5 years, which means it'd be nearly impossible to break the record during that time.

And I also definitely don't think he'll stick around solely so he can break a record.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back