PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bam Childress waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this means that this new guy would be a game day active player as a returner who provides depth at wr. Bam would only be active if he was sure to be playing wr as he was sub-par as a returner. From that perspective it makes sense although Bam looked great as a wr at times. Perhaps we can still hang onto him on the PS. The question I have is if Smithis going to be our main returner, why do we need Willie Andrews?

It's just possible this guy could be a receiver as he moves into the three year "gets it" range.

From Ga. Tech:

Finished his career in second place in Tech history in career receptions (174), fourth in career receiving yards (2,238) and ninth in career TD catches (12) . . . Scored 15 touchdowns on receptions, rushes and returns and also threw one touchdown pass.

Why do we assume he can't?

Bam was #5 WR and BB wanted a look at this guy for STs and had to bring him onto the roster claiming him off waivers. Hopefully, no one needs a smurf WR named Childress, if not, I expect to see Bam back - he is just fulfilling the Patrick Pass on again off again role.

BoTown said:
I still remember, not at this board necessarily but other boards, the praise that Caldwell was getting when the Pats signed him. This guy is looking like the WR version of Duane Starks. I always figured him to be a scrub and that assessment hasn't changed. He was considered the 5th best receiving option in San Diego, and it's not as if they are running the Fun and Gun offense of the Rams. He's played in 4 NFL seasons and hasn't had more than 28 receptions. If there were any justice, and Branch and Jackson were available to line up on that field, that would stay the same, no more than 28. But he'll probably see a lot of time on the field by default. I don't consider him to be any better than our 5th best receiver, and that's not including the TE's and Kevin Faulk. As far as receiving options go, he's way down there.

Hope I'm wrong about the guy, but he hasn't impressed me.

Yes, Caldwell was considered the 5th receiving option in San Diego because they had Eric Parker, Keenan McCardell, LaDanian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates. 2 of those players are ALL -PROs. The other two catch better than 70% of the passes thrown to them. Sorry that Caldwell is such a disappointment at 65.1%. Of course, when you look at Deion only catching 62% with 6 drops and David Givens catching 62% witn 9 drops, Caldwell doesn't look so bad.

Also, Caldwell is still coming back from his ACL and learning a new system. Caldwell should be a solid #2/#3 receiver when he gets on the page with the rest of the offense. But I don't expect him to carry this team.

BoTown said:
You're making the mistake of assuming that I'm following everyone else's opinion. I'm not ragging on Chad Jackson because I believe his talent will make up for his lack of football savvy. Caldwell will be ahead of him on the depth chart by default. That may or may not change. I'm not always right...I thought Duane Starks was going to be a great addition (though I didn't go overboard and expect him to replace Ty Law) and I was wrong about that, many of us were. But we're not talking about some rookie here, we're talking about a 4-year NFL veteran who hasn't amounted to anything.

How long did it take players like Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell to blossom? Also, you seem to not understand that Caldwell lost almost an entire season due to an ACL injury. Not to mention that there was some tremendous depth ahead of him in San Diego in terms of receivers.

BoTown said:
Of course, the same could've been said about David Patten when the Patriots brought him in, and that acquisition turned out to be great. Caldwell could end up being the next Patten. I'm not ruling that out, and in not ruling that out I'm giving him a chance. But I have a right to be skeptic, just as you have a right to feel confident in him. If he can help this team out then I'd love that more than anything. This team needs all the help it can get.

So, you are a guy who rushes to quick judgements and would rather look at things in a half-empty state than a half-full state. Go it.

I liked Bam I thought he was our type of player

Remember. Troy Brown was cut a couple of times too...

Kdo5 said:
And he hasnt played a regular season game for the Patriots. Thanks for your rapid judgement before the season actually begins. He was shaky in preseason, completely new to the Patriots, completely new to the playbook, way different. I didnt expect him to be amazing. Relax and give the guy a frigging chance in the regular season. God, I'm sick of the huge negativity towards him. Yes he hasnt looked great in preseason but you say he looks like Duane Starks. I'm sorry but the guy hasnt played a regular season game, why isnt Chad Jackson being completely ragged on? He hasnt played yet, he must suck. I've tried to hold in my frustration hearing the comments on how Caldwell already sucks because of the preseason and how Dillon will be replaced because he didnt get lots of yards in the preseason. Ellis Hobbs must've sucked because he didnt get an INT...its like the preseason means everything. Give them a freaking chance, some of you.

Nice thought, but Caldwell didn't exactly light it up the 4 years in San Diego. It's not just this pre-season.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Remember. Troy Brown was cut a couple of times too...

and troy brown was an eighth round pick, which these days would be an udfa

Unless he's a punt return/kick return guy, very few teams will even sniff him because of his height.

Too bad. He's very talented and obviously motivated to play. Seeing him get beat out by guys who have almost no fire in their bellies - pathetic.

DaBruinz said:
So, you are a guy who rushes to quick judgements and would rather look at things in a half-empty state than a half-full state. Go it.

No, I'm a guy who simply isn't as high on Caldwell as you might be. Clearly you disagree with it and that's fine by me. I'm not one to give in to peer pressure and change my stance because others don't see it the way I do.

And no, I'm not all about half empty. I see many positives with this team. I don't necessarily see Caldwell as one of those positives, though maybe I should because as long as Branch is holding out and Jackson is still learning the plays and coming back from his hamstring injury, we need all the receiving help we can get. Caldwell is an upgrade over Bethel Johnson, if anything.

What bodes well for Caldwell is Brady has the ability to get the most out of any receiver not named Donald Hayes. In that regard I see reason to be positive. As for everything else, I will wait to see what he does on the football field, and if he proves my skepticism to be off then nobody will be happier to see that happen than me. Until then, we can agree to disagree. It's that simple, really. You can think less of me for it, I don't care. Like any other fan here, I want what's best for the team and will be rooting for Caldwell every week as long as he wears the Patriots uniform.

Last edited:
Re: Childress released; WR Smith claimed

From Bills.com on qhy he was waived:

Jonathan Smith - The talented return man was unable to turn in a big play in the preseason and didn't do much to showcase his ability at the receiver position either. The deepest position on the roster was going to have some casualties.

Re: Childress released; WR Smith claimed

From Scouts:
Looks like a decent end of the roster KR/PR, with nice receiver potential.

Jonathan Smith
Born: November 28, 1981
Argyle, GA
Height: 5-10
Weight: 194 lbs. Age: 24
Pos: WR
Experience: 3 years
College: Georgia Tech
Drafted: Year:2004 Round:7 Pick:13, Bills NFL: Undrafted

REC 5 | YDS 56 | TD 1
Profile Stats Splits Game Log News Scouting Fantasy

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Comment:
He is on the shorter side and doesn't have good bulk. He lacks strength and will get pushed around at times. He has marginal top-end speed. He shows good vision, shiftiness and elusiveness as a PR but he lacks explosive top-end speed to ever become a legitimate weapon in that area. He does, however, provide good versatility as a back-end-roster-type player. He is elusive in space and shows good vision and patience with the ball in his hands. He does have very reliable hands. Shows good awareness and route running skills for a young player. Does a nice job of finding soft spots in zone.

i really did not expected it

for me a surprise, no doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes