PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bailey Zappe in the Red Zone Sunday Night and This Season

He has more than earned his shot, assuming a medium-short leash. As in, if he suddenly sucks, it's fielder's choice to yank him in favor of Malik or Jones... it wouldn't be a categorical blunder. But right now, he has earned the shot... his starts to lose!
Malik is in Baltimore. Nobody wants to see Jones.

Zappe did more with less than Mac Jones ever could.

Malik is in Baltimore. Nobody wants to see Jones.
I’m sure a bunch of Edmonton eskimos fans will next year when he’s playing there.

I'll say this about Zappe...
It's true that he seems to do more with less than Mac did.
He's shown the same problems as Mac, but less of a sample size, and he may be more mentally tough with the ability to correct mistakes.
He seems more mature than Mac, and has certainly faced longer odds and more adversity to get here.
If he wins these last 2 games, with good offense output, I'd be okay keeping him in the mix next year.
But he HAS to compete with a high value FA (like Cousins) and/or a high draft pick.
We can't be guessing or lengthening this QB search anymore. We need to triple dip and be ready to win next season.

Got it. Zappe did more with less height than Corky Jones ever could.
Captain says batted balls still a concern.

Malik was the answer.

He's been solid thus far when they get into the red area:

Edit - misunderstood original post and the following are just Pats drive success in scoring and not Zap’s actual numbers - sorry!

This is what I’m getting for Zappe red zone drives in 2022, with the only pass TD the TT11 strike.

2 for 2 1TDs
4 for 4
4 for 4 3TDs
1 for 1 1TDs

At least no turnovers that I see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Agreed. But I’ll tell you why not.

Zappe doesn’t have the pedigree. He’s not a top QB from from a top football school. He wasn’t highly touted pre-draft. He wasn’t drafted high, only went in the fourth round. He‘s too short.

All he did was set the FBS season records for passing yards and passing touchdowns in his senior year.

so he can’t be a franchise QB.
:rofl: Oh you got me…

This is what I’m getting for Zappe red zone drives in 2022, with the only pass TD the TT11 strike.

2 for 2 1TDs
4 for 4
4 for 4 3TDs
1 for 1 1TDs

At least no turnovers that I see.
His Red Zone totals in 2022 (last season) were:
1703616015060.png

Just the one TD (Thornton), but no turnovers:
1703615932897.png

The missing target is a throwaway (3rd-and-9 at Cleveland [QTR 4 - 9:14 remaining])

Last edited:

Belichick with a big hug with Zappe after the game. Was surprised by it.

I know it's a Zappe thread, but I actually kinda liked Ryland's stoicism. He made the big kick, but he does not appear satisfied (and shouldn't be) and certainly is not soaking in any glory. It's possibly apropos of nothing, but neat to see I guess.

As for Zappe, the eyeball test speaks volumes. We will know more about him with more games and more opportunities for teams to evaluate and prepare for him. He's got promise...for something.

I know it's a Zappe thread, but I actually kinda liked Ryland's stoicism. He made the big kick, but he does not appear satisfied (and shouldn't be) and certainly is not soaking in any glory. It's possibly apropos of nothing, but neat to see I guess.

As for Zappe, the eyeball test speaks volumes. We will know more about him with more games and more opportunities for teams to evaluate and prepare for him. He's got promise...for something.
I noticed that, but it worried me about Ryland. I’m afraid he might be letting the failures fester without drawing positive energy from successes to offset and heal those wounds to his psyche. Will have to wait and see how the future unfolds I guess.

Speaking of Zappe, I thought this was very impressive, with the kid telling Belichick it’s time to take their relationship up a notch:

“The handshake thing, I told him when I walked in after the Broncos game, he reached out for the handshake, and I was like, ‘Coach, no more handshakes. Let’s go for a hug,’” Zappe said Tuesday on WEEI’s “Jones and Mego” show. “So that’s kind of how that all happened.”

How Bailey Zappe responded to Patriots viral video with Bill Belichick

He's been solid thus far when they get into the red area:

Ian
Do you have a data base of passing based upon length of throw?

Belichick with a big hug with Zappe after the game. Was surprised by it.

They have to find a way to keep Slate. Coach, motivational speaker, players’ associate—mentor… I don’t care ..,What was the title that jackass that went to Houston had?

I’ll miss him in these if he just goes into the night.

Ian
Do you have a data base of passing based upon length of throw?
Not yet. However, I am going to be adding that.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back