PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

August 28th - The Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Foster get ST time vs Carolina ? Like to see him more vs Gints on ST to see what he can add....BB knows what Cy can do on returns......give DJ a shot and see what he has also......

The "extra" 4 game position could be at CB as you say. It could also be Cooper or Foster. Personally, I don't see Foster unless Bolden is cut.
Granted it was a VERY small sample, but Foster looks to me to have some Danny Woodhead quickness and slashing running style to go along with WR hands.

Unfortunately, assuming he gets even more reps in the last preseason game, I don't think he'll make it past cut down day to the Pats PS. So I would be interested to know if he is playing on any of the ST's. I noted he was back as the punt returner after Jones, but what about any of the other ST's. As I understand it, White doesn't do ST's

Didn't Foster get ST time vs Carolina ? Like to see him more vs Gints on ST to see what he can add....BB knows what Cy can do on returns......give DJ a shot and see what he has also......
Yep. Had a punt return for 15 or so yards. He looked good to me.

Given how much interest there was in him as an UDFA, I doubt Foster would make it through waivers. If we want to keep him, we'll probably need to find a spot for him on the 53. I think room can be made for him at Dobson's expense, but that would mean going into the season with only three healthy WRs (4 if Mitchell is good to go) and running a lot of 2TE sets. This all assumes that Amendola is close enough to being healthy that they won't leave him on PUP going into the season. If not, then Dobson gets his spot and this issue is pretty much resolved.

Foster could also beat out Gaffney (unlikely, IMO, as Gaffney is exactly what we need behind Blount), Develin (unlikely, IMO, as he adds too much versatility to the offense) or Bolden (more likely, IMO, but he'd have to beat out Bolden's ST value). If the Pats are adamant about keeping only 5 RBs, I think Foster's best shot is to beat out Bolden and stick as RB5 along with Blount, Gaffney, White, and Develin. To do that, he probably has to bring some ST value to the table.
Foster was interesting to many as part of a 90 man roster. Why should there be much interest now when 1000 players will be cut in the next few days?

Foster was interesting to many as part of a 90 man roster. Why should there be much interest now when 1000 players will be cut in the next few days?

Because the Pats are going to need a backup to James White until Dion Lewis gets healthy. That backup is most likely going to be either Foster or Bolden.

As far as why he should be interesting to other teams, the answer there is pretty simple: because he's an intriguing, versatile talent. He's a RB who can potentially line up as a slot receiver, and there's a premium on those guys right now. If he shows something in game 4 to go with an encouraging few touches in game 3, it's perfectly reasonable to think a 3DRB-needy team might take a flyer on him as their RB5.

Generally speaking, if a bunch of teams were interested in signing him to their 90 man roster, that means there'll probably be at least one team willing to make a spot for him on their 53. We're talking about a league where Jeff Demps was able to hang around with a roster spot on various teams' 53s for a few years, and he wasn't even committed to playing football. There's always a team willing to make room for young, cheap, intriguing talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back