PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At least two teams don't have Ingram on their board

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I'm going to take a guess and say one of those teams is Miami. The other team could be the Giants.

In my opinion, I wouldn't select a running back at thirty-three, nor would I select Mark Ingram if I did, if I'm New England. That is, you're taking just as much of a risk drafting him as you would with drafting Da'Quan Bowers.

Take Mikel Leshoure or Ryan Williams instead. Neither will likely be available at sixty, though.

"I've had two teams tell me the knee is very bad," said Lombardi. "He won't be on their boards. They're teams that need running backs." Mike Mayock is also "not so sure" Ingram will be a first-rounder. The consensus is that there's better value on mid-round backs, as opposed to Ingram in the first. Look for the Patriots to have a chance to draft Ingram at No. 33 overall.

Report: Mark Ingram not on two teams' boards - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I too, like Williams and Leshoure, I also (like many others) think Vereen provides an intriguing thought.

To be honest, I can't say that I was all that sold on Ingram to MIA at 15 as many other, so called draftniks were. I just have a gut feeling they may not even target the position with that pick.

Admittedly, I figured Miami would draft Ingram... But, I soon changed my mind once you've considered a few things. DeAngelo Williams is available in free agency and the two sides have a mutual interest in each other.

Interestingly, Miami doesn't own a second round pick. It has been said that they like Leshoure.

It's 2 weeks before the draft. Do not believe anything you hear.

In related news...

Tampa Bay has the fifty-first pick in the second round. But, if Ingram were to last this long, St. Louis would take him at forty-seven.

Ingram might not be the highest-profile player to have visited Tampa Bay in advance of next week's draft -- players like Cameron Jordan of Cal have visited and are projected to be drafted earlier -- but Ingram is one of the more interesting prospects to come to town. That's because his presence here suggests that the Bucs recognize running back is not a position of great strength, though they certainly have a talented back in LeGarrette Blount.

Consider: Cadillac Williams is a free agent and arguably on the down side of his career, even though he undeniably an important asset to this team in 2010 as both a runner and receiver on third downs. Earnest Graham, who also is aging, has been strictly a fullback lately, and that doesn't figure to change.

The fact that the Bucs would spend one of their prospect visits on a running back expected to be drafted in the first or second round tells us they're probably serious in considering an addition in the backfield.

Will it be Ingram? I'd say the odds are stacked heavily against that considering the major needs the Bucs need to address early in this draft (pass rusher, cornerback, etc.). But it would be surprising if the Bucs didn't come away from this draft with a running back prospect would could contend for playing time immediately.

Reports: Alabama running back Mark Ingram visiting Tampa Bay Buccaneers today - St. Petersburg Times

It's 2 weeks before the draft. Do not believe anything you hear.

That's right. Teams may truthfully say they won't take Ingram very high, but be lying through their teeth about whether they'd take him if he slipped a bit. :)

I'm not surprised.. He's a vicious runner and he takes a pounding.. I mentioned this 6 weeks ago but majority won (shocker)..heheheh

If Ingram's knee is so bad that 2 teams that NEED RBs don't have him on their list, what makes Lombardi think that the Pats would risk the #33 pick on him? If anything, that tells me the Pats won't be taking the risk on Ingram.

I certainly would take Ingram at 33, if the knee checks out. All he does is produce and has the intangibles that will make him a good pro.

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch him until the 40s.

In fact, I prefer his ex-teammate/backup as an overall player. Especially in the Pats team.

Give me DeMarco Murray later on.

I'm going to take a guess and say one of those teams is Miami. The other team could be the Giants.

In my opinion, I wouldn't select a running back at thirty-three, nor would I select Mark Ingram if I did, if I'm New England. That is, you're taking just as much of a risk drafting him as you would with drafting Da'Quan Bowers.

Take Mikel Leshoure or Ryan Williams instead. Neither will likely be available at sixty, though.

Report: Mark Ingram not on two teams' boards - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I really like the way Ingram runs and the fact that he runs angry will help make a O line look more smash mouth than they are, but

1.) Ingram is not going to out race defenders to the endzone.
2.) Ingram ran behind a lot of superior college O line guys and probably won;t have that in the NFL.
3.) Ingram is a smaller back and he was injured a lot in college, which makes me ask if he will be able to handle a physical pounding in the NFL.

Richardson, whom I also think is the better RB.

Richardson is a beast.

PS: Nick Saban was reported by someone on the CBS website to have had Barry Sanders Jr. as his guest at a U of A basketball game last month.

I really like the way Ingram runs and the fact that he runs angry will help make a O line look more smash mouth than they are, but

1.) Ingram is not going to out race defenders to the endzone.
2.) Ingram ran behind a lot of superior college O line guys and probably won;t have that in the NFL.
3.) Ingram is a smaller back and he was injured a lot in college, which makes me ask if he will be able to handle a physical pounding in the NFL.

I'm with you, I don't want to touch him with our first 3 picks (maybe 4).. My decision with him changed a couple of months ago.. He's such a vicious downhill runner, I don't think he'll have a long career in the NFL..

Now he is small at 5'9 but he's a rock at 215 but I don't think its that big of a deal.. MJD has the same body style but what makes him awesome is he tries to run around or squeek around players.. and if all else false, he tries to run over them. like Mayock said, he's a vicious runner, add in the fact he's only a down hill runner - lets pass

Good, that's two less teams to worry about. Hopefully, Miami IS one of those two teams. You hear more junk this time of year about these players than ever. Use your own eyes. Watch the film. Look at his combine work, his pro day work. If that's a kid with a bad knee, SIGN ME UP.

Last edited:
Richardson, whom I also think is the better RB.

However, reports are that New England desires to select at least one running back in this year's draft. If Trent Richardson declares for the 2012 draft, he and LaMichael James will surely be the top two running back prospects. So he isn't worth thinking about.

However, reports are that New England desires to select at least one running back in this year's draft. If Trent Richardson declares for the 2012 draft, he and LaMichael James will surely be the top two running back prospects. So he isn't worth thinking about.

Well, I agree that you don't pass on a player this year and hope you get a player next year, but in this case, Bennie could be a free agent after 2011. No reason BB couldn't draft a guy like Alex Green in the 5th this year and follow up with Richardson if he feels that strongly about him.

But my only point was that some believe that Ingram was helped immensely by the Bama offensive line, and if Richardson, running behind that same line, looked better, then maybe Ingram isn't the top runner available in the draft, he just had a fantastic offensive line, especially in light of an injury which could prove to be degenerative.

Wisconsin had a good string going of highly rated (and drafted) running backs that accomplished very little in the NFL because their o-lines couldn't dominate the way the Madison Hogs did under Alvarez.

Last edited:
But my only point was that some believe that Ingram was helped immensely by the Bama offensive line, and if Richardson, running behind that same line, looked better, then maybe Ingram isn't the top runner available in the draft, he just had a fantastic offensive line, especially in light of an injury which could prove to be degenerative.

In regards to a running back playing behind a strong offensive line, the same could be said of Toby Gerhart at Stanford. Interestingly, he finished behind Ingram for the Heisman Trophy in 2009. Coincidence?

Lately, Alabama has become a warehouse for running backs under Nick Saban. They won't miss Ingram. And let's not forget, Shaun Alexander went to Alabama.

Trent Richardson leads Alabama running backs into 2011 (video) | al.com

Good, that's two less teams to worry about. Hopefully, Miami IS one of those two teams. You hear more junk this time of year about these players than ever. Use your own eyes. Watch the film. Look at his combine work, his pro day work. If that's a kid with a bad knee, SIGN ME UP.

I don't understand why anybody would want to sign a kid with a bad knee to a 1st round contract. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents