PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ask PFW: Why am I a Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In high school and college it's called running up the score. In the NFL they are professionals. There is no excuse for being so far behind another team with parity rules, free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

Actually, it's not even in issue in college. When have you heard anything about Coach K or Roy Williams when they beat Div II teams by 60 and 70 pts? College football teams routinely beat 1-AA and weak 1-A teams by 50 pts, and you hear nothing. As far as I know, this a Patriots-only phenomenon.

Actually, it's not even in issue in college. When have you heard anything about Coach K or Roy Williams when they beat Div II teams by 60 and 70 pts? College football teams routinely beat 1-AA and weak 1-A teams by 50 pts, and you hear nothing. As far as I know, this a Patriots-only phenomenon.

True. Although with 1A ball they almost have to put the points on the board against lesser opponents just to maintain their BCS ranking.

Since points scored can be a tie breaker in the NFL it behooves the Pats to score when they can, you never know what the season can come down to playoff-wise.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=29173&pcid=41&rss=1

"Hello, I run a Fathers Organization and am a Patriots fan. However I am wondering if I have wasted years of devoted fanship and much money being a Patriots fan. This is the most unsportsmanlike team I have seen in recent memory. As we talked in our web meeting during the end of the game, (as we were going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal) "How can we tell our children that this is the way a TEAM handles itself?" Very embarrassed and ashamed are thousands of us fathers who are Patriot Fans that our team is not a Team we would want our children to imitate or look up to. Congratulations on the 10 - 0 start and Boo's for the way this team presents itself to Children and Fans everywhere."
Rich Capo

I agree with most posts that this guy is either nuts or does not understand the difference between professional sports and a high school team, but how about looking at the positives:

1. Point to Tom Brady and see how a 6th round pick expected to be at best a back-up works so hard physically and menatlly to be the best.

2. Troy Brown -- undersized 8th rounder with smarts and heart.

3. Wes Welker -- undersized, undrafted free agent.

4. Bruschi

5. How Brady never criticizes his 2006 WRs even though we all know how mediocre they are.

6. being goal oriented and wanting to be the best.

7. How an offensive line plays so well together with teamwork.

8. Ellis Hobbs' personal story.

9. The gentleman Seymour is.

10. How modest they are despite incredible numbers and people constantly trying to get them to say how great they are.

11. Not running up the score in multiple games when they could have.

12. How they treat Bam Childress and Billy Yates.

13. Intense level or preparation.

14. How #13 shows how much they respect their opponents, even ridiculously inferior ones

(That's enough for now -- I'm wrapping up early to get home to my family today.)

True. Although with 1A ball they almost have to put the points on the board against lesser opponents just to maintain their BCS ranking.

Since points scored can be a tie breaker in the NFL it behooves the Pats to score when they can, you never know what the season can come down to playoff-wise.

Yeah, but the college football blowouts were happening way before the BCS. Ask Baylor and Kansas State how those mid 90's games against Nebraska went. Not a word of bad sportsmanship was ever uttered about Saint Osborne.

I would think the best lesson you could teach your kids is just what you can accomplish though hard work, intense preparation and striving for perfection.

That guy doesn't get it.

Great reply from Casale. However he missed out two important points that appear to be the focus of the team. Number one the 60 minutes thing. The trouble with being so efficient with winning is that if they did take their foot off the pedal, the starters would not be conditioned to 60 minutes when they need it. This is critical, not just in the post-season, but in the run up to the playoffs. A defeat in late November, early December would break momentum and cause change of focus. I also think they do partially let up in the 4th quarter, not by taking all their starters out, but by letting the 3rd and 4th stringers try their hand. This is to my mind quite sporting, as it should make it easier for the opposition to stop them, which they sometimes do.

The second omission is the one mentioned by Brady in his radio interview on WEII earlier this week. He has only had 10 games throwing to Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Brady in his life. As a perfectionist he needs game time experience to know them better and guage how they react to certain situations. I think this is also highly reasonable, and believe that the time that Brady and the 1st string receiveres can let up is not until well into next season.

I admit that I have been critical of Manning in the past for bullying TDs on weaker teams, however unlike Brady he has had years (10 with Harrison and 5 with Wayne) to develop his timing and knowledge. I would also suggest that the running up the scores have been performed against winning teams - (redskins and bills) not the basement dwellers.

to paraphrase Jeff Spicoli "That guy's a ***!!

151442__fasttimes_l.jpg

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=29173&pcid=41&rss=1

"Hello, I run a Fathers Organization and am a Patriots fan. However I am wondering if I have wasted years of devoted fanship and much money being a Patriots fan. This is the most unsportsmanlike team I have seen in recent memory. As we talked in our web meeting during the end of the game, (as we were going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal) "How can we tell our children that this is the way a TEAM handles itself?" Very embarrassed and ashamed are thousands of us fathers who are Patriot Fans that our team is not a Team we would want our children to imitate or look up to. Congratulations on the 10 - 0 start and Boo's for the way this team presents itself to Children and Fans everywhere."
Rich Capo

My only comment is..."Who TF cares about this guy's kid?"

Seriously, if he is really worried about how his kid will view what the Patriots are doing, then he has no clue on how to be a father.

BTW, what's a "web meeting"? Is that like a chat group? This guy's world fascinates me.

BTW, what's a "web meeting"? Is that like a chat group? This guy's world fascinates me.

I believe he was referring to web meetings for "alternative" fathers.:eek:

I agree with most posts that this guy is either nuts or does not understand the difference between professional sports and a high school team, but how about looking at the positives:

----

9. The gentleman Seymour is.

(That's enough for now -- I'm wrapping up early to get home to my family today.)

Sorry, I would agree with all others but not this. Our 'gentleman' Seymour got away with stomping a player who was lying on the ground and didn't have the courtesy of apologizing even after a week. Lucky for him that it wasn't caught on national TV.

I highly respect Seymour as a defensive player but not as an individual.

Happy Thanksgiving!

...This guy's world fascinates me.

LOL!

I also think that this is not a 'guy' but some lady devasted first by Brady's out-of-wedlock son, then Harrison's drugs, then the spygate, then the fine, then the national ridicule that the Pats had to suffer...:)

Sorry, I would agree with all others but not this. Our 'gentleman' Seymour got away with stomping a player who was lying on the ground and didn't have the courtesy of apologizing even after a week. Lucky for him that it wasn't caught on national TV.

I highly respect Seymour as a defensive player but not as an individual.

Happy Thanksgiving!

One transgression in the heat of battle is enough to make you lose your respect for someone? Wow, I guess you don't respect many people. I wouldn't claim to know the man, but he has certainly gone through some incredibly tough times, but remains, by all accounts, a good guy.

One transgression in the heat of battle is enough to make you lose your respect for someone? Wow, I guess you don't respect many people. I wouldn't claim to know the man, but he has certainly gone through some incredibly tough times, but remains, by all accounts, a good guy.

Who cares? He's just an athlete on a team who we root for. Whether he's a good guy or a bad guy or somewhere in between makes zero impact on my life, your life, or anyone else's. Zero, zilch, nada.

Casale's reply is indeed awesome.

Regards,
Chris

I'm glad Casale put that father in his place. People are taking football way too seriously these days. First, people say that athletes shouldn't make so much money because it's just a game. Now, people are so affended that the Pats are blowing teams out by such a large margin. You know what people? It's just a game ! Is there a rule in which teams can only win by a certain amount of points? This is not little league, this is proffestional sports. It's a business in which players and coaches are getting evaulated on a weekly basis. There is no such thing as sportsmanship in proffesional sports. Its ok to respect other teams, but when your on the field, your job is on the line and sportsmanship is the last thing you will think about.

I also like Casale's opinon on the upcoming draft, if the Pats keep the pick and they have a chance to take McFadden, don't be surprised if they take another RB. Teams these days can never have enough RB's and McFadden could be one of those can't miss prospects. He is multitalented, which fits the mold of a Patriot player. And not to forget, had McFadden entered last year's draft, he could have been the first back taken over Peterson. Anther reason why I like the Pats taking McFadden is because the Pats do not have a lot of money tied into their running backs. Maroney's deal is a 5 year - 9 million dollar contract, which isn't much. Lastly, Laurenitis may not even enter the draft this year.

Last edited:
I'm glad Casale put that father in his place. People are taking football way too seriously these days. First, people say that athletes shouldn't make so much money because it's just a game. Now, people are so affended that the Pats are blowing teams out by such a large margin. You know what people? It's just a game ! Is there a rule in which teams can only win by a certain amount of points? This is not little league, this is proffestional sports. It's a business in which players and coaches are getting evaulated on a weekly basis. There is no such thing as sportsmanship in proffesional sports. Its ok to respect other teams, but when your on the field, your job is on the line and sportsmanship is the last thing you will think about.

I also like Casale's opinon on the upcoming draft, if the Pats keep the pick and they have a chance to take McFadden, don't be surprised if they take another RB. Teams these days can never have enough RB's and McFadden could be one of those can't miss prospects. He is multitalented, which fits the mold of a Patriot player. And not to forget, had McFadden entered last year's draft, he could have been the first back taken over Peterson. Anther reason why I like the Pats taking McFadden is because the Pats do not have a lot of money tied into their running backs. Maroney's deal is a 5 year - 9 million dollar contract, which isn't much. Lastly, Laurenitis may not even enter the draft this year.

Archives, is McFadden.....TIGHT!?!

If trampling a defenseless man down on the ground with your football cleats is 'transgression' in your world, yeah, I wouldn't have respect for those in any world. :|

To be honest, even though it was a bit horrible to hear about it, I also paused to cut him slack quoting similar 'heat of the battle' reason. But the fact that he didn't bother to apologize even after a week for his 'heat of the battle' moment made me flinch (some interviewer asked him specifically about it after a week, that's how I know this for sure; I don't know whether or not he apologized to that player later on) .

Remember the Titans player that same year who got ejected and thrown out for a similar 'transgression'?? The only reason Seymour got away was because it wasn't caught on national TV and thus avoided scrutiny (though NFL did fine him).

And you know what? It was in the past and I am currently enjoying the glory of what the Pats are doing. So, let us put this to rest. Happy Thanksgiving!

Rich Capo's e-mail represents the worst of this "new age" parenting crap that is producing a generation of sissies.

This Capo could be my Father in law. Against the Colts when Moss drew the PI. My FIL immediately said "He did that twice last week and did not get called for it" Like we had it comming. The way he reacted and other things he says I could tell he is embarrassed by the Pats. I was livid at the replays and I think he could see it was a stupid comment. But still, this may be a legit letter.

Oh yeah he tells me I cheer too much at the games too. You get the idea.

If it was not for his 72" HDTV and his season tickets I'd never watch another game with him.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News