PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As of Week 10, how would you rate the Pats' needs?

It seems like most people have been side tracked but i'll give it a go.

QB UDFA Assuming no Mallet trade
RB No Need
Outside WR Depth
Slot WR no need (udfa maybe)
TE Depth
OT If Cannon stays as the Swing Lineman
OG Starter
OC either here or G starter
DT Depth
DE Depth
OLB Starter (if Spikes is gone)
ILB/MLB No Need
Outside CB Depth (if they can beat out Cole's ST worth to the team)
Slot CB None
S Depth
K None
P None
LS None
ST None

I've said this on a few threads for me the positions where a bit more talent would be nice is OG/C TE and 4-3 DE (Irvin Type) and 4-3 OLB (Lavonte David type). I don't think those positions are necessary but they would really help with this group's versatility.

I know I am probably against the grain here but DT isn't to much of a concern for me until we find out the extent of Wilfork and Kelly's ability to play and the fact that if Wilfork is cut we still hve Sopoaga t play NT if we think he's any good. C Jones has proven he can provide push inside. Vellano has been no slouch. I actually think we are quite deep at the possition goin in to 2014 with admittedly some question marks.

Setting aside the list of players, how does Seastrunk help given the list of needs you have, unless you're planning to trade away Ridley?

Yeah, maybe the Pats can do better than Bolden, but how much more will it cost? They're paying Bolden about $400K for the season.

I don't want a RB until round 4, but if BB likes a RB than it makes some sense. If Ridley has another good season in 2014, do you want to resign him for 4-5 million a year? I'll pass. Ridley/Vereen are 2015 free agents.

2001-2003: Smith
2004-2005: Dillon
2006-2009: Maroney/Morris
2010-2011: BJGE
2012-present: Ridley

BB doesn't commit longterm to a RB. It's just a waste of $ if the RB isn't AP/Lynch/Charles. So I guess a RB drafted in 2014 could be our starting RB in 2015.

BB doesn't commit longterm to a RB. It's just a waste of $ if the RB isn't AP/Lynch/Charles. So I guess a RB drafted in 2014 could be our starting RB in 2015.

Other than Kevin Faulk, of course. . . .

Other than Kevin Faulk, of course. . . .

Well he was a cheap 3rd down RB. I hope he does the same with Vereen, although it will be tough to tell what he'll command on the market.

As of today, our needs are:

QB - not yet

RB - can be found throughout & after the draft, and in free agency. Bolden does need
immediate replacement, however; and a backup for Vereen would be nice, kinda like
that Woodhead guy in SD. Thanks, Bill.

FB - Develin's TD notwithstanding, a true legit FB should be and can be found next season.

WR - wouldn't use an early-rounder on one, unless another Keenan Allen falls to late in
the 2nd round, for instance.

TE - a Move guy to replace the Prisoner should be a 3rd-day priority.

OC/G - Connolly & Wendy suck, and need immediate, 1st/2nd-day replacement.
And Mankin$ will need replacement after next season.

DL - both a DT & DE are 1st/2nd-day priorities. Both our run defense & pass rush suck,
as hard as that is to believe.

OLB - should be all set after drafting Lavonte David 48th overall in 2012. Oh wait...

CB - could be a high priority, again, if Talib or a reasonable facsimile isn't re-signed.

SS - Gregory won't be worth the money he is due to earn next year, and isn't stout enough
for my liking anyway. A better version of him could be found in free agency or during the
late 2nd/early 3rd days of the draft.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back