PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As much as I absolutely hate to say it, Brady has not been playing well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is having a bad year but I'm not convinced 2007 Brady also wouldn't be having a bad year due to a terrible line, a faltering running game, the sudden disappearance of key contributers (White, Burkhead), an ever changing cast of WRs, and the worst set of TEs since like, idk, 2001?

That's really the problem with evaluating a team sport, it's impossible to not let pre-existing bias factor in given that all the cogs need to be working well for the machine to function properly.

I'm withholding judgement on whether or not this is truly the start of Brady's inevitable decline until we see what this team looks like after a month+ with Wynn, Sanu, Dorsett, and Harry all playing at once. We could continue to underwhelm or we could unleash an offensive onslaught that seems unthinkable now.

And then there's this...

images

Is that a Special or a Skylark?

He's older and it shows. Anyone expecting no decline whatsoever is living in lala land. I do not doubt his capability to reign it in for the playoffs and win us a Superbowl.

What you see in Brady is what we saw in Jordan and so few others

It's an absolute unquenchable thirst for winning. You and I don't have it. 99.9% of professional athletes don't have it, and my goodness are those incredibly competitive people with an unreal appetite for winning.

But there is something different about the legends like Brady. It's palpable through the TV screen. It's something that age never manages to beat. It's what wills you to make as many comebacks as he has had, it's what wills you to eat, sleep and breathe your sport.

Belichick and Brady like nothing more than winning. And they'll do it at whatever costs. Brady belongs in the comeback. He's his best when playing from behind. It's unreal.

As a person who has proclaimed on this website that we're lucky as individuals to have seen one of the most improbable dominations of sport in Usain Bolt, who by literal scientific evidence can be dubbed as a once in history talent, I can safely say (and obviously, subjectively) that even then - Brady is more impressive.

It is absolutely absurd. And I don't give a **** about a decline. Beyond the fact that it's exaggerated by crazy roster turnover and injuries, there is something far more profound in the will to win than the technology to get there. Brady has a will that not a single person of any other team can come close to possessing.

I actually didn't mean to write this. I'm just a little inebriated, saw this thread, and decided to jump in. Sorry to waste your time with what you all already know, even OP.
My god; maybe more posters should inebriate themselves more often before posting anything :D

He's older and it shows. Anyone expecting no decline whatsoever is living in lala land. I do not doubt his capability to reign it in for the playoffs and win us a Superbowl.
His arm doesn’t have as much zip as it used to but still looks good in the pocket. Movement wise

His arm doesn’t have as much zip as it used to but still looks good in the pocket. Movement wise
I don’t see a decline in velocity. And I think most of the problems have been due to all the issues that have been cited. He moves well too.

I think there may be two areas where you can maybe see a slight decline (note all the qualifiers here because everything could be tied to overall offensive woes):

—Brady’s first couple of throws in a game. He seems a bit stiff before he gets going, and his first throw or two are sometimes real wtf? efforts.

—Vision. Seeing the whole field quickly, open receivers, closing defenders. Feel like maybe a bit of a dip there.

Last edited:
His January and February number is all that matters.

If you want to see what a decline in arm strength really looks like, I suggest revisiting tape of 2015 Peyton. Talk about a cliff...

He's older and it shows. Anyone expecting no decline whatsoever is living in lala land.

Please explain this decline. He's still throwing the ball as hard as ever when it's called for, so we're not talking arm strength here.

Says more about how the league average passer rating has moved upwards over the years than anything interesting.

Or that the teams capable of winning 90% of their games without otherworldly QB production were dominant elsewhere. Without knowing the other QBs, that's the conclusion I would infer.

Please explain this decline. He's still throwing the ball as hard as ever when it's called for, so we're not talking arm strength here.
I think he has lost a little in terms of arm strength but not a lot. His passes didn't seem to travel through the wind as well during the Cowboys game (possibly an arm strength sign). I think his accuracy and decision making have declined noticeably. This could be a product of his surrounding talent so it's hard to pin point but the eye test says he doesn't look quite the same. He is still accurate but not as accurate consistently.

I think he has lost a little in terms of arm strength but not a lot. His passes didn't seem to travel through the wind as well during the Cowboys game (possibly an arm strength sign). I think his accuracy and decision making have declined noticeably. This could be a product of his surrounding talent so it's hard to pin point but the eye test says he doesn't look quite the same. He is still accurate but not as accurate consistently.
At least you're not dismissing the decline of talent around him......and his passes had about ss much velocity as he's always had as far as I could see especially when you factor the amount of rain pouring down. Brady's tine of year us fast approaching. Watch and see

Brady is having a bad year but I'm not convinced 2007 Brady also wouldn't be having a bad year due to a terrible line, a faltering running game, the sudden disappearance of key contributers (White, Burkhead), an ever changing cast of WRs, and the worst set of TEs since like, idk, 2001?

That's really the problem with evaluating a team sport, it's impossible to not let pre-existing bias factor in given that all the cogs need to be working well for the machine to function properly.

I'm withholding judgement on whether or not this is truly the start of Brady's inevitable decline until we see what this team looks like after a month+ with Wynn, Sanu, Dorsett, and Harry all playing at once. We could continue to underwhelm or we could unleash an offensive onslaught that seems unthinkable now.

This is how I see it as well. Unlike the past couple of seasons the decline in his play doesn’t seem to be related to in season injuries, and he’s definitely struggling at times, but I don’t rule out Brady and the Patriots offense improving significantly, and another good playoff run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back