PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Artificial crowd noise at Indy? (MERGED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really need a catchy name for this thing to get some legs!

I was very very skeptical about this all (of course I wanted it to be true but I couldn't really believe it) UNTIL I saw the clip and it was just so strange how the crowd kept cheering way past the completion and then it cut to the real reaction of the murmuring you'd expect from a home team giving up a completion...
I'm officially in agreement with what I've been reading on this board, something's fishy

Our friend, Vic Ketchman on Jaguars.com chimes in:

http://www.jaguars.com/News/Article.aspx?id=6468

Joe from Pontypridd, Wales: On the first play of the fourth quarter in the Indy-NE game, the crowd noise CD clearly started to jump. Obviously, someone forgot to clean the disk that day. Do you think this will be picked up on by the NFL and, if so, what action can be taken?
Vic: I didn’t see one play of the game. As I had said last Friday, I would be on an airplane during the “Big Game,” so I was caught off guard this morning when my inbox was jammed with e-mails about this situation. Hey, I’ve been telling you for two years that they pipe it in. If the commissioner had been reading my column, he would’ve known about this. It’s time to investigate, again.

I can't help but feel if it turns out to be a CBS production issue, and I think it's a waste of time to speculate until the word comes down. However, I will admit it will be A LOT of fun if it turns out the Colts were doing it.

I would hope that Pats fans won't get all bitter about it but rather take the opportunity to merciless mock the NFL, sports pundits, and idiot Pats haters up and down the line.

I would hope that Pats fans won't get all bitter about it but rather take the opportunity to merciless mock the NFL, sports pundits, and idiot Pats haters up and down the line.

We're very good at multi-tasking. :D

I can't help but feel if it turns out to be a CBS production issue, and I think it's a waste of time to speculate until the word comes down. However, I will admit it will be A LOT of fun if it turns out the Colts were doing it.

I for one don't care that they were doing it at all - save for the fact that it makes a pretty awkward situation for the sanctimonious "omg! teh pats r cheetrz!!!1!!!" set.

i don't care if the colts are penalized or not. all i want is general acknowledgment that the pats are not alone in breaking the rules to get an edge, that all teams do it one way or another and moving forward everyone is just going to shut the hell up about it.

Amen, brother. Somehow, I just don't see that happening. I can't help but think that a bunch of us will call them cheaters and everything else, becoming exactly what we've condemned for the last two months. The reality is that if the stuff happening with the Patriots the last few months were happening to the colts instead, I'd probably be piling on too. It's just too fun not to.

Last edited:
I think "Noisegate" is as good as anything.

That's funny because a noisegate is an actual piece of audio equipment. Signal is sent to it. When it reaches a certain threshold or level. the gate opens and passes the signal to the system. When it decreases the gate closes.

For a name I kind of like "Pipe Noise" as it reflects the Colt's pipe dream that they would win and of course the extra crowd noise was piped in.

So, is there not one among us who was actually at the game who would care to shout out (pun intended)?

So, is there not one among us who was actually at the game who would care to shout out (pun intended)?

You may not hear it with yelling yourself or the guy next to you. What is very suspicious is that it goes up right after the snap as if someone went to turn it down but went the wrong way. You would want it turned up before and during the snap then turn it down.

That's funny because a noisegate is an actual piece of audio equipment. Signal is sent to it. When it reaches a certain threshold or level. the gate opens and passes the signal to the system. When it decreases the gate closes.

For a name I kind of like "Pipe Noise" as it reflects the Colt's pipe dream that they would win and of course the extra crowd noise was piped in.

exactly my point

The radio broadcasters do not have a parabolic mic on the field. Their speech on their headsets bleeds out the sound coming from inside their stadium. So I have to disagree with you here.

I remember these are the kind of statements we were making after the Jets game too. We thought it was all bunk and just a bunch of haters. A week later the Pats lost a 1st round pick, BB lost $500K, and the Pats became "cheaters".

The radio broadcasts have mics that are only for crowd noise as well. The mics the broadcasters are using don't pick up the sound of the crowd and if they didn't have crowd mics as well, it would sound like they were calling the game from somebody's basement.

Bumping for a good point.

Not a good point.

Our friend, Vic Ketchman on Jaguars.com chimes in:

http://www.jaguars.com/News/Article.aspx?id=6468

Joe from Pontypridd, Wales: On the first play of the fourth quarter in the Indy-NE game, the crowd noise CD clearly started to jump. Obviously, someone forgot to clean the disk that day. Do you think this will be picked up on by the NFL and, if so, what action can be taken?
Vic: I didn’t see one play of the game. As I had said last Friday, I would be on an airplane during the “Big Game,” so I was caught off guard this morning when my inbox was jammed with e-mails about this situation. Hey, I’ve been telling you for two years that they pipe it in. If the commissioner had been reading my column, he would’ve known about this. It’s time to investigate, again.

Vic hates all things Colts and takes every chance he can get to take a shot at the Colts. He writes something nearly every week on the Colts and he covers the Jags.

I was and I truly did not hear anything like what was on the TV broadcast.

Well, if this does get legs, it will surely end up being called 'noisegate', because people can't seem to resist using the 'gate' suffix for any scandal.

Frezo, thank you for your insight. Your account of what you suspect happened certainly seems plausible to me. But I have a question. If cbs's broadcast mixes the broadcasters' voices with crowd noise, field noise, etc., all on different channels, isn't it possible that there could have been a glitch in the crowd noise channel? Perhaps some type of digital time-based effect got switched on accidentally?

Anyway, I hope that your account proves correct.

Well, if this does get legs, it will surely end up being called 'noisegate', because people can't seem to resist using the 'gate' suffix for any scandal.

Frezo, thank you for your insight. Your account of what you suspect happened certainly seems plausible to me. But I have a question. If cbs's broadcast mixes the broadcasters' voices with crowd noise, field noise, etc., all on different channels, isn't it possible that there could have been a glitch in the crowd noise channel? Perhaps some type of digital time-based effect got switched on accidentally?

Anyway, I hope that your account proves correct.

I don't feel this was a digital error. A repeitive digital glich has a very definate signature that is more stacato and has more attack. IOW it is more clicky sounding. It also has a well defined start and finish to the repetitions present in the loop. I don't hear that in the recording. What i do hear is a smooth rise and fall in between the crests in the audio wave. Maybe I'll fire up some software and really pick this apart.

Either way this isn't going to go away anytime soon. Noisegate it is!

Thanks for all the insight Frezo.

Based on the articles I've read, clearly Kraft heard it live.

Thanks for all the insight Frezo.

Based on the articles I've read, clearly Kraft heard it live.

Apparently a CBS employee is admitting to causing it and that it was not in the stadium system. I could've been wrong. We'll see where it goes from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back