PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots undermanned at WR again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you kidding me. they have virtually the same WR corps as last year. Stallworth split time with Gaffney last year due to Stallworth's ineffectiveness and Gaffney's ability to fit perfectly in the offense with what the pats needed. Any production out of the #4 and #5 WR's would be great, but as long as 1-3 are healthy, we will have mismatches all across the field like last year. Just gotta make sure McDaniel doesnt get stupid again.

I think it will be

1.Moss
2.Welker
3.Gaffey
4.Jackson

Another thing that I would like to point out is this year SUCKED for wide receivers. Not a single one taken in the 1st round, so what does that tell you? The Pats receivers are well stacked right now imo. I wouldn't rule out drafting another in 2009, if the class is deeper in quality receivers, but neither does WR look to be a need position for this year.

I knew Stallworth wasn't going to be here next season, but it would've been nice to get more out of it in 07. He was probably the fastest WR we had.

Your crazy. He got tripped from behind in Divisional game against Jacksonville. His on-field speed is so much slower than his timed speed. Welker and Moss are both faster than him.

Your crazy. He got tripped from behind in Divisional game against Jacksonville. His on-field speed is so much slower than his timed speed. Welker and Moss are both faster than him.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do the Patriots have enough quality WR's this upcoming season? I'm thinking Moss, Gaffney Welker and two suspect wr's in Washington and Jackson. The big question is will we finally see something out of Chad Jackson? I have a feeling Gaffney gets the nod at the #2 spot. Gaffney is ok but he's not a "big" play maker.

What's your take guys?

I think we're good. Moss has obviously emerged as the elite receiver of his Minnesota years. Welker will be fine and we know what we're getting out of Gaffney. Now, if one of those guys go down then it gets a little scary because while I'm not ready to write Chad Jackson off, the idea of him having to replace one of the main three scares me. I think the loss of Stallworth and his YAC will be felt more than we can fathom right now BUT not enough to cause any drastic bad outcomes. It will be fine but I don't see an aerial assault near as potent as last year. But it doesn't need to be that way because IMO no matter how modern football has become you still need to run the ball and play defense to win championships, not throw for 500yds and 6TD's/game.

Last edited:
I'm only worried they won't find enough playibg time for Jackson. They need to find out what they have there soon.

If he is what many here believe he is and what even the sceptics hope he is, he'll earn his way on to the field. If he isn't, he won't. There are plenty of snaps to go around with all the multiple WR sets. The best guys play - look no further than Gaffney overtaking Stallworth last year. The deal Gaffney got makes it crystal clear the Pats don't see him as a long term WR solution so Jackson will have every chance in the world to win that job.

No. They are good. Gaffney made clutch plays last year. If by "big" you mean long plays for TDs, that guy is Moss. It's better that Welker, Moss, and Gaffney have different skills and roles on this team. Perhaps Slater will play a bit if he can make the team and if Chad falls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick