PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the 2012 Pats better than the 2001 SB winning team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that example is poor because that runner will run another race. Thios championship teams will never play another game.
If that were the only race of the runners life, it could make a good example, but my argument would remain the same, the runner who ran 10.34 to win would be conisdered better than the runner who ran 10.30 to finish second because the purpose of running a RACE is to win, not to post a time.

But you cannot do that, because the runner is the same and the teams are very differnet. A runners lifespan is not one race, and pretending it is queers the analogy.

My example is good, you are much too quick to dismiss it. Take the Olympics for example. They all train with the objective of getting the gold. The 100-meter Olympic final is 1 race per 4 years. While the main purpose is not to post a time, the better time will win it.

Now, it's not possible to compare one year from another without being subjective. The 2008 runner-up could very well have beaten the 2004 gold medalist if both athlete had competed in the same race. We'll never know.

Different era, different circumstance. The 2008 runner wasn’t part of the 2004 race. You cannot evaluate him based on something he wasn't a part of.
It becomes a subjective assessment.

I think its the only way to define it. What could convince you a team that didnt achieve the singular goal is better than one that did?
They may be better at many things, but they are not better at the one sole thing that is the purpose the team exists for.

No, it's not. It's your opinion, based on your definition of the term better.
I agree on your definition of the term 'better' for a given season. But I do not agree with it for comparing teams from different seasons, because it's flawed. Here's the thing : How can you be so sure that the level of competition on any given year is equal ?

You'll agree with me that not all 45 Super Bowl champions are the same. Some on these teams are better than others. If we push this idea a little further, we could very well come to the conclusion that some runner-up might have won a Championship on another year.

That's why I would say that the 2007 Patriots were better than the 1995 Cowboys. It's totally subjective, but it cannot be any other way because the 2007 Patriots did not participate in the 1995 season. Why do I think the 2007 Patriots are better ? Because I think the level of competition in 1995 was lesser than in 2007.

It comes back to the race analogy. The 2007 Pats and 1995 Cowboys were not part of the same race. Cowboys won in 1995, and they were the better team from 1995. Doesn't mean that if they had raced in 2007, they would have beaten the Patriots. As such, I wouldn't call them the better team.

Who would win a head to head meeting is not the determination of who is better. The goal of the 1950 Browns was not to convince you they could beat a team of players that wouldn't be born for 30 years, but to win a championship.

But the OP is asking just that.
If the analysis stops at who won a Championship and who didn't, then there's no discussion....so why start a thread. Just play along...

My example is good, you are much too quick to dismiss it. Take the Olympics for example. They all train with the objective of getting the gold. The 100-meter Olympic final is 1 race per 4 years. While the main purpose is not to post a time, the better time will win it.
This makes no sense. You just agreed that winning matters not time.

Now, it's not possible to compare one year from another without being subjective. The 2008 runner-up could very well have beaten the 2004 gold medalist if both athlete had competed in the same race. We'll never know.
He did not win. You can't compare the times because you do not know if the time would be different if pushed.
As you said, you never know, so you must conclude that the actual real life result is what you must go with.

Different era, different circumstance. The 2008 runner wasn’t part of the 2004 race. You cannot evaluate him based on something he wasn't a part of.
It becomes a subjective assessment.
It becomes a subjective assessment if you try to compare them but they shouldn't be compared.
The objective was to win. One did and one did not.

No, it's not. It's your opinion, based on your definition of the term better.
No, its FACT based upon my definition of better.

I agree on your definition of the term 'better' for a given season. But I do not agree with it for comparing teams from different seasons, because it's flawed. Here's the thing : How can you be so sure that the level of competition on any given year is equal ?
I have never attempted to discuss what team would beat what team.

The discussion was which team is better. The team only lives in its moment. It won or did not. A team isn't better because it failed but can make an excuse.
The 2001 Patriots achieved their goal.
The 2007 Patriots did not.
Therefore the 2001 Patriots were a better team.
Who would win if they played is irrevelant.

A team exists for a season and either does or does not accomplish its goal. The ones that do, by definition were better than the ones that did not.
Unless you want to introduce a definition of better that conflicts with the fact that the purpose that the team exists is to win.

Let me put it this way.
If you could prove to me beyond any doubt that the 2007 Patriots would beat the 2001 Patriots, that would not make them a better team.
That team has a result attached to it, and no amount of conversation or debate is going to change that result.

You'll agree with me that not all 45 Super Bowl champions are the same.
They are the same in the regard of being the only 45 that achieved the goal that every team ever existed to strive for.

Some on these teams are better than others. If we push this idea a little further, we could very well come to the conclusion that some runner-up might have won a Championship on another year.
I disagree because winning a Championship on the field separates them.
Being the 'best' team means achieving the singular goal of every team.
Let me put it another way. If you could convince me that the 2007 Patriots would have beaten the 2007 Giants 99 times out of a hundred, I still say the Giants were a better team.
Why?
Because they existed for the purpose of winning that Championship, and they did. They had one and only one opportunity. Those 53 players were the best TEAM in the timeframe and under the parameters that they existed.

That's why I would say that the 2007 Patriots were better than the 1995 Cowboys. It's totally subjective, but it cannot be any other way because the 2007 Patriots did not participate in the 1995 season. Why do I think the 2007 Patriots are better ? Because I think the level of competition in 1995 was lesser than in 2007.
You seem to be arguing that better players equal better team. That is the central point where I disagree.
A TEAM is what they DO, not how they are percieved or would have done under other circumstances.
Every team that has ever existed started the season even with an equal chance of winning the SB, and with the same singular goal.
Only the ones that achieved it can be considered among the best, because failing to achieve your purpose in life is failing.
Yes they get one chance and there are many factors that could make the best talent not be the best team, but that doesn't change the reality of it.

It comes back to the race analogy. The 2007 Pats and 1995 Cowboys were not part of the same race. Cowboys won in 1995, and they were the better team from 1995. Doesn't mean that if they had raced in 2007, they would have beaten the Patriots. As such, I wouldn't call them the better team.
The 1995 Cowboys did not exist in 2007, so that is irrelevant. Each group had one and only 1 shot. One succeeded, one failed. One was a better team that the other.

I'm just not sure how you can consider an organization(team) that fails to achieve its goal to be a better organziation than one that does.
Do you think the 53 players on the 2007 Patriots would trade the right to be considered better than the 1995 Cowboys by you, for having completed the job and won the ring?
Doesnt that answer the question?

But the OP is asking just that.
If the analysis stops at who won a Championship and who didn't, then there's no discussion....so why start a thread. Just play along...
He is asking who is a better team, not who would win if they played against each other. You are changing the question to fit the side of the argument you wish to be on.

He is asking who is a better team, not who would win if they played against each other. You are changing the question to fit the side of the argument you wish to be on.

You're wrong. You are trying to fit YOUR definition of better to fit your argument.

Read the initial post again.

When he said :

''I am thinking the 2012 team is better on O..and by a wide margin but the D...well...not so sure.''

I don't think he was doing a comparison based on Championship accomplishment.

You're wrong. You are trying to fit YOUR definition of better to fit your argument.

Read the initial post again.

When he said :

''I am thinking the 2012 team is better on O..and by a wide margin but the D...well...not so sure.''

I don't think he was doing a comparison based on Championship accomplishment.

Can you point me to where he said the question is who would win if they played?
I can point you to the title of the thread asking who is a better team.

First of all, I'm assuming that the question refers to the 2011 Pats since the 2012 Pats won't take the field until September and the Foxboro braintrust has multiple, high draft picks and $20mil of cap room to change the team before then.

Seriously, though. Ten years is a long time; lots of things have changed both on the field and in the rule book and in how games are officiated. I always take the view that winning is what counts. All we know now is that both teams made it as far as the AFCCG and one of them won it all.

If the 2011 team doesn't bring home the Lombardi, then no, it isn't better on the simple theory that bling on the finger is worth more than debates in the air.

If this team brings the trophy home, then I think it's a toss-up; the current team has a mature Brady and three pro-bowl receivers but the older team won with a superior D, which this team has not yet shown.

Last edited:
Can you point me to where he said the question is who would win if they played?
I can point you to the title of the thread asking who is a better team.

I just did...
Again, read the post. If the OP wanted to compare based on Championship credentials, he wouldn't need to list the players on the 2001 defense, because that would be irrelevant to the argument, if it's as simple as saying one won a championship while the other has not (so far, at least).

You just have to face the fact that when people are comparing teams from different seasons, they are comparing based on an fantasy/dream match-up comparison standpoint. By who's better, we all mean who would beat who, or who would do better if place in an hypothetical situation.

We all do, just read all the other posts. All, but you.

But you're the one who's right.

By all means, continue with your analysis. Still don't understand why you need to post multiple times for an argument that can be resumed by they won a championship, thus they're better. What's the fun in that ?

Man, I wouldn't want to be in Mrs Johnson's shoes...must be hell in that house when everybody else says one thing, but Andy just keep arguing based on a technicality...

I just did...
Again, read the post. If the OP wanted to compare based on Championship credentials, he wouldn't need to list the players on the 2001 defense, because that would be irrelevant to the argument, if it's as simple as saying one won a championship while the other has not (so far, at least).
That is simple what you are reading into the question.
I am discussing who is better.
I could care less who would win in a fantasy matchup, and would not have responded if that were the question.

You just have to face the fact that when people are comparing teams from different seasons, they are comparing based on an fantasy/dream match-up comparison standpoint. By who's better, we all mean who would beat who, or who would do better if place in an hypothetical situation.
Why would I 'have to face the fact' of what you think people are talking about?
The question, whehter clear in the OP or developed during the course of the thread, is which team is better. Teams don't play hypothetical games,don't get to redo a bad effort, and have one shot at being a team accomplishing.
How good they are is based on what they accomplish.

We all do, just read all the other posts. All, but you.

But you're the one who's right.
If you want to believe the best team is determined by who you think is supposed to win rather than what actually happened on the field be my guest. Just don't waste your time trying to convince me that football is played on a keyboard.

By all means, continue with your analysis. Still don't understand why you need to post multiple times for an argument that can be resumed by they won a championship, thus they're better. What's the fun in that ?
Apparently because you keep trying to argue that the quality of a team is based on your opoinion of how they are supposed to play instead of what they actually do on a football field.

Man, I wouldn't want to be in Mrs Johnson's shoes...must be hell in that house when everybody else says one thing, but Andy just keep arguing based on a technicality...

So let me get this straight. I say one thing you say another. I stick to my point, and you stick to yours, and I am stubborn, but you are not?
Its not a technicality, its the definition of best team.
If you wish to have a fantasy football discussion about who would win against each other, feel free to do so, with whoever wants to, but don't try to tell me thats how you determine who is the best team, because it isn't.
It is also notable that you have refused numerous times to answer the questions such as how you define best team.

It is also notable that you have refused numerous times to answer the questions such as how you define best team.

Actually, I did.

And strangely enough, I agreed with you.
I just nuanced it a little bit...

I agreed that on a given season, the better team is the one winning a Championship. There's no what if, I stick to the facts. The better team won.

The part I don't agree with , is when determining what teams are better from different seasons. Because, as I said numerous times, I don't agree with your definition of better. I follow what most people do when discussing fantasy matchups, meaning doing a subjective comparison of what team would have won given an hypothetical situations.

It's much more fun this way, are there's no right or wrong answers. It's done in the same way as discussing the GOAT...which QB is better, which WR is better and so on.

You have the right to your opinion, but getting to the point of saying that other people are wrong because they don't agree with your supposed facts (or saying that there's only one definition of better, yours) is just obnoxious, given that the thread was obviously started as a way of discussing the merit of the 2011 team versus the 2001 edition of the Pats.

Actually, I did.

And strangely enough, I agreed with you.
I just nuanced it a little bit...

I agreed that on a given season, the better team is the one winning a Championship. There's no what if, I stick to the facts. The better team won.

The part I don't agree with , is when determining what teams are better from different seasons. Because, as I said numerous times, I don't agree with your definition of better.
Didn't you just say you did agree?

I follow what most people do when discussing fantasy matchups, meaning doing a subjective comparison of what team would have won given an hypothetical situations.
But I am not discussing fantasy matchups.
My point is very simple. The purpose of a team is win a Championship. That is the reason they exist.
The best team, therefore is the one that is 'best at winning championships'.
So a team that didn't win one cannot BE A BETTER TEAM that one that did.
Perhaps they would win if they played a game, but a team only consists of the season it exists in.
Who would win if 2 teams from different years or eras played is a dfifferent question that who was a better team. Not more talented, not better on the most days, not a better matchup, better players, etc, but a better TEAM-defined as a group of players with a singular goal of winning a championship in the one opportunity they have to do so.

I think our big difference here is all I care about is what a team accomplished on the football field, and judge the quality of a team 100% on what it accomplishes in its one chance.

It's much more fun this way, are there's no right or wrong answers. It's done in the same way as discussing the GOAT...which QB is better, which WR is better and so on.
Well of course its a more entertaining discussion, but that doesn't mean it is the correct definition of better TEAM.

You have the right to your opinion, but getting to the point of saying that other people are wrong because they don't agree with your supposed facts (or saying that there's only one definition of better, yours) is just obnoxious,
I have not said your opinion is wrong. I have given my opinion.
By your standard you are equally obnoxious because we are going back and forth disagreeing.
I have stated what I believe best TEAM is. I have backed that up with logic.
I have stated that I am discussing best TEAM, not who would win a hypotheitcal game.
How is that saying you are wrong?
Where you are wrong is that you read into the OP and claimed to know what he meant.

given that the thread was obviously started as a way of discussing the merit of the 2011 team versus the 2001 edition of the Pats.
And my answer was if they win the SB I consider them a better team, if they do not I do not.
What is your answer?

If Brady is better and the team loses, the team isn't better.

I've heard some suggest that the 2007 team was better than the 2001 team.

I think they might have a valid point to make even though the 2007 team did not win the Super Bowl.

If this is a simple "predict whether the Patriots will win the Super Bowl" thread, then I'll have to give that some more thought.

My general answer to that question would be "I don't know"

But if the question is - which team was better, 2001 or 2011, I'll go with 2011, as Brady is a very large percentage of what makes this team great, and he's significantly better now than he was in his first partial season as a starter.

Last edited:
And my answer was if they win the SB I consider them a better team, if they do not I do not.
What is your answer?

If I had to choose between the 2011 or the 2001 team to enter a playoff tournament for the GOAT team, I would pick the 2011 edition.

So, to me, the 2011 edition is a better team.

If I had to choose between the 2011 or the 2001 team to enter a playoff tournament for the GOAT team, I would pick the 2011 edition.

So, to me, the 2011 edition is a better team.

No point discussing it further then.
Your definition of best team is who you think would win a pretend game,
Mine is what the team did with its only opportunity on the field.
Should have gotten that straight 50 posts ago and we could have saved all the trouble.

I've heard some suggest that the 2007 team was better than the 2001 team.

I think they might have a valid point to make even though the 2007 team did not win the Super Bowl.

If this is a simple "predict whether the Patriots will win the Super Bowl" thread, then I'll have to give that some more thought.

My general answer to that question would be "I don't know"

But if the question is - which team was better, 2001 or 2011, I'll go with 2011, as Brady is a very large percentage of what makes this team great, and he's significantly better now than he was in his first partial season as a starter.
That team was 14-3 with Brady and beat Oak, Pitt, StLous in the playoffs.
This team is 14-3. If it loses tomorrow, there is no way, IMO, it is a better team. I don't know how better QB equals better team. Interestingly the #1 passing offense has never won a SB.

Big Sey and Bobby Hamilton were such beasts. Seems like 2012 vs 2001 would be a classic unstoppable force vs immovable object matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes