PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are people ACTUALLY worried about the O?

Status
Not open for further replies.
usually you are a ****ty poster but this is honestly the best post you may have ever made, everything in it is 100% correct

That you think so should worry Deus more than this team ever should...

I wish he'd get over his seymouritis. :steamed:

Seymour would not have made a difference in this game. The offense needs to wake up and Brady needs to get it together.

As far as the run game goes, yah - they do not committ to it. They should - with TAYLOR.

Last edited:

Mo, my concerns about what I'm watching are not just about Seymour (although, yes, I think Seymour being in the lineup could have been an enormous help in both games so far). If you've watched the two games, you must see that this team has problems everywhere right now. There's not one level on either side of the ball that doesn't have problems, and the coaching has been uncharacteristically inadequate/poor to date as well

Wow... I guess people are way more worried than I thought.

*NE was one of the top running teams last season. They've played 2 games this season so far.
*The blueprint ? Come on... Brady's been using some of this stuff since 01.
*I'm pretty sure two weeks is hardly enough to make garantee-to-be-right statements... is they are still going in the same direction (the O) in December, then I'll panic.

The defense has faced two shaky offenses and has failed when needed. The offense has been poor with the exception of a 5 minute stretch in game 1. The special teams have been anything but, with the exception of a forced fumble at the end of last week's game. The coaching staff is getting dominated by its opposition.

You should be losing sleep over pretty much every part of this team right now. Hopefully the training room staff is at the top of its game, because that's pretty much all we have right now.

Oh, stop being all polyanna and false cheer, and raising everyone's hopes with unrealistic expectations. :D

We don't know yet whether this team will make the necessary adjustments and play up to it's ability and expectations, or just be mediocre. This team's history under BB suggests the former, but I agree that the coaching staff and play calling haven't exactly inspired confidence so far.

Given that people were predicting at the end of preseason we would need to win 38-35 shootouts to cover up for our defense, and that we've since traded Seymour and temporarily lost Mayo, I don't think our defensive effort has been too shabby. Yes, we still need to be more aggressive, yes, some of our 3rd down play has been less than stellar, and yes, neither the Jets nor the Bills are a top offense. But still, the defense hasn't been the problem so far.

I felt all preseason that we were getting too pass-happy and becoming too much of a finesse offense, but it seemed like most people on this board didn't want to hear that. Everyone expected us to put up 30+ PPG and to need it in order to win. I'd be very happy with last year's offense at this point - a more balanced running attack and a relatively mistake-free passing game.

The first two performances this year have certainly been shaky, and are a major cause for concern, but not for panic at this point. However, if we don't make some major adjustments, then we will be in trouble this year.

usually you are a ****ty poster but this is honestly the best post you may have ever made, everything in it is 100% correct

Wow, this is the same exact thing that ran through my mind when I read it.lol

When a defense allows 16 total points, it usually wins. The loss today is squarely on the offense. Brady needs to get it together. I expect it to take 4 weeks - which is what I have said all along. Anything more than that and I will officially become a chicken little ;)

No disrespect to you, especially since I see the point you're trying to make, but the defense was far from adequate. I know they only allowed 16 points, but to say they played well is overstating the facts. There were, by my count, six '3rd and long' plays that the Jets were allowed to convert, Sanchez had pretty much all day to throw, and the tackling was incredibly horrible. There were so many plays where missed tackles led to first downs. Yes, the offense played miserably and should be blamed for the loss; however, the defense didn't help matters much. They Jets moved the ball up and down the field, and I think the 16 points allowed is misleading. The Pats were among the top teams in points allowed last year as well, but the defense was terrible . . . see what I mean? Again, no disrespect intended.

What's infuriating is that the Patriots are becoming the team that every quarterback, especially bad ones, loves to play. They have a knack for making average QB's, or a rookie in this case, look like All-Pro players. This goes back a few years now. I remember the days when the Patriots were feared and people talked about how confusing and exotic the defense was. Now, they're just boring to watch. They can't get to the QB. They don't force turnovers. They don't score defensive TD's. They're just boring to watch. Even with the youth movement, the defense still seems old, slow, and dated.

With all that said, the offense needs a Red Bull or something. They look lethargic, confused, and uninterested. Two consecutive delay of game calls . . . two illegal procedure calls, one negating a first down (both on Galloway, I believe) . . . dropped balls, and a QB that's playing timid = bad offensive play and immediate need for adjustments.

Last edited:
*NE was one of the top running teams last season.

Goes to show, if they feel they need to emphasize it, they can. Lamont Jordan ran well, but they have as much RB talent as they ever have, excepting Dillon's big season.

Teams are all over routes by Moss and Welker. It's been two years + and I'm sure film of them hs been watched more than Star Wars.

Mix up the routes and play some real smash mouth at times and take the weight of the world off Brady's shoulders for a bit.

Those passes in the flat to mini welker fooled no one and Moss is having to fight to grab 8 yard passes. Seems obvious to me they're pressing to relive what worked in 2007 instead of taking what the defense gives us.

It would be different if we don't have other players, but guys like Faulk are underutilized in the Moss-Welker (Edelman) and pray for rain offense.

Goes to show, if they feel they need to emphasize it, they can. Lamont Jordan ran well, but they have as much RB talent as they ever have, excepting Dillon's big season.

Teams are all over routes by Moss and Welker. It's been two years + and I'm sure film of them hs been watched more than Star Wars.

Mix up the routes and play some real smash mouth at times and take the weight of the world off Brady's shoulders for a bit.

Those passes in the flat to mini welker fooled no one and Moss is having to fight to grab 8 yard passes. Seems obvious to me they're pressing to relive what worked in 2007 instead of taking what the defense gives us.

It would be different if we don't have other players, but guys like Faulk are underutilized in the Moss-Welker (Edelman) and pray for rain offense.

Man, this analysis is so on point. Why is Faulk not on the field more? Why aren't they using Fred Taylor? Why is Green-Ellis even active for games? Teams know this offense inside and out now, I don't care what anyone says. Really, this offense hasn't looked good since the Eagles game in 2007. It's time to mix things up now for sure.

the only thing i dont get is why cant they do for brady what they did for matt

run the football untill he get's he's confidence back

i meen dose are the same if not better RB with taylor in the mix that last year got 159 yerds a game

dose brady realy need to throw the ball 50 times a game right now when the O line cant block

and its not like brady throw for 400 yerds most of the time it was 3 incomplete pass is and out

they cloud have run on first and 2th down a lot more and make it 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 4 and not 3rd and 15

Last edited:
Oh, stop being all polyanna and false cheer, and raising everyone's hopes with unrealistic expectations. :D

We don't know yet whether this team will make the necessary adjustments and play up to it's ability and expectations, or just be mediocre. This team's history under BB suggests the former, but I agree that the coaching staff and play calling haven't exactly inspired confidence so far.

Given that people were predicting at the end of preseason we would need to win 38-35 shootouts to cover up for our defense, and that we've since traded Seymour and temporarily lost Mayo, I don't think our defensive effort has been too shabby. Yes, we still need to be more aggressive, yes, some of our 3rd down play has been less than stellar, and yes, neither the Jets nor the Bills are a top offense. But still, the defense hasn't been the problem so far.

I felt all preseason that we were getting too pass-happy and becoming too much of a finesse offense, but it seemed like most people on this board didn't want to hear that. Everyone expected us to put up 30+ PPG and to need it in order to win. I'd be very happy with last year's offense at this point - a more balanced running attack and a relatively mistake-free passing game.

The first two performances this year have certainly been shaky, and are a major cause for concern, but not for panic at this point. However, if we don't make some major adjustments, then we will be in trouble this year.

As good as Moss, Brady, Welker are, if other team knows what you are going to do 80% of the times, sooner or later, they'll figure it out and find a way to stop it. I mean this game reminded me of the 'Blue print' thing going on during 2007 season. Rather than having Brady pick you apart, go down with guns blazing type of defense. I mean, yes, with Moss and Brady in a lineup, it would be foolish not to pass but some balance would be nice. And I'm not talking about Pats current stable of running back where they try to pick up big chunk. As I was watching the game, I found my self wishing we had 2004 Corey Dillion. A bruiser and a workhorse who you could count on to get good positive yardage and wear down the defense.

With that being said, I think Brady and Galloway will come around. There is just way too much talent and way too much brain power at coaching position for this team to suck. Also, as much as people pile on offensive line, I thought they. Running lanes were there and as much as Brady was knocked down so much, what do you possibly expect if you throw the ball 40+ times a game?

Worried about the talent? Absolutely not. Worried about the play-calling? No....but they're clearly a work in progress.

This offense has far too much talent to end up outside of the top 5-6 in the NFL. Anyone who thought Brady was going to come back and be his 2007 self in the first few weeks of this season was being unrealistic IMO

Mo, my concerns about what I'm watching are not just about Seymour (although, yes, I think Seymour being in the lineup could have been an enormous help in both games so far). If you've watched the two games, you must see that this team has problems everywhere right now. There's not one level on either side of the ball that doesn't have problems, and the coaching has been uncharacteristically inadequate/poor to date as well

It's week 2 and we're 1-1. So is Richards team. He had 2 tackles and an assist this week. If one of Cassel's receivers had been able to get out of bounds to stop the clock KC would have won on a FG. The defense was FINE. And that's without Mayo. I fault the ST for a lousy performance across the board (with the exception of Maroney on KO's), the coaching staff for wussing out to open the half when they had stymied this kid fairly easily for the entire first half and would stymie him again only a TD to late, but mostly I fault the offense. And not the QB, although he had his meltdown moments, but that's not rust so much as frustration showing and with good reason... Moss is a $9M team captain and I want to see him do more than wave his pompoms on the sidelines and give pep talks, play headgames with defenders who pick him and commit facemask penalties. Why a kid like Edleman can get it in this offense while a veteran like Galloway lags behind baffles me. Why we have 5 RB on this roster I have no idea. But mostly I want an OL that can pass and run block without it looking like a chinese fire drill where we can't convert 3rd and short or Brady is picking grass out of his teeth. The kind that allows the TE's to get out in the pattern and screens to be set, too.

But I'm not going to piss and moan like some 5th grader who's lunch money got stolen for the last damn time just because Bill dosen't always do what I'd do in his place. I think if Bill has an achilles heal it's his belief that he can scheme and coach his way out of any corner. I think this is a talent issue, only it's that he thinks his talent on offense is better than it truly is. Brady's favorite receiver used to be the open one. Aren't many of those lately and he seldom has time to locate them when they are. If we could punish teams on the ground or underneath they would back off. But we CAN'T. There is a reason. You know that as well as I do. This isn't something Dante can scheme around, been trying to for a year and a half now...

Brady saved their asses last week. He's the least of the problems. The offense is getting stale, everyone knows what's coming unless they go no huddle and Brady pulls a receiving TE out of his ass...or everyone executes to perfection. It shouldn't be this hard with the weapons this team has.

But while I'm discouraged I also looked at the winners this week as well as last and I don't see a lock for the AFC Superbowl contender emerging. Denver is 2-0, much to Mav's chagrin, though. :D

They switched it up because they were suddenly in 1-30. In fact one of the penalties negated a pass for a first down...

No, not exactly. Here is the game log I checked it to make sure I remembered correctly.

There was a 3 yard run then a 10 yard pass. This was followed by a 4 yard run, 13 yard run and 12 yard run to the Jets 36 yard line. Then we had a shotgun pass incomplete, then a 1 yard shotgun run followed by the penalties that resulted in the 3rd and 30. Some of these were shotgun runs but runs nonetheless. The Pats are too pass happy, especially with a QB returning from injury.

BB needs to start drafting some punishing offensive linemen. I get that BB likes to trade down and get more picks, but if those picks just end up being jag's whats the point. the poor drafts from 06 and 07 are starting to show up.

Brady saved their asses last week. He's the least of the problems.

Brady is also the reason we lost this week. I'm the biggest Brady ballwasher there is when he's doing well, but he's clearly rusty...not stepping into throws...no rapport with his receivers...throws he'd normally throw right in between the numbers low high or wide. I expect him to get better as the season goes on but I compare this to a lot like Manning's season last year where he was injured and had to get it together or Cassel's season where he started off like Vince Young and looked like a pro-bowl quarterback the second half.

At the end of the season, we're looking at a 11-5, 10-6 team. I wasn't impressed with the Jets. If Brady didn't turn into Jim Sorgi today, we would have won the game. They aren't a threat to the division. 11-5, 10-6 will be good enough to win the division. But anyone who deludes themselves into thinking we're the team to beat this year is living in the past.

Luckily, it's about getting hot at the right time. If they finish strong in the second half and Brady and the offense round into form, I can see them doing damage in the playoffs. These past few years, the 1 seed is pretty much useless as the Super Bowl winners and contestants have been dark horse teams with decent but not great records.

But as of now, we'd be lucky to take 1 out of 3 between Atlanta, Baltimore, and Tennessee, and that isn't a bad thing because this team just needs to take care of business in the second half when the team grows and the schedule gets easier.

"I think if Bill has an achilles heal it's his belief that he can scheme and coach his way out of any corner. I think this is a talent issue, only it's that he thinks his talent on offense is better than it truly is. Brady's favorite receiver used to be the open one. Aren't many of those lately and he seldom has time to locate them when they are."

Mo you hit the nail on the head. People think "In Bill we trust." but the pats simply do not see to have the talent on either side of the ball. Yes they have a great QB and a great receiver but what good does that do if Brady constancy has to throw the ball under pressure because the damn offensive line is constantly getting manhandled?

The defense is being held together by spit and duct tape. They really have no playmakers on defense any more. Seymour, Bruschi, Vrable and Harrison are gone and are have been replaced by either rookies, cast offs from other teams or unproved players.

Worried about the talent? Absolutely not. Worried about the play-calling? No....but they're clearly a work in progress.

This offense has far too much talent to end up outside of the top 5-6 in the NFL. Anyone who thought Brady was going to come back and be his 2007 self in the first few weeks of this season was being unrealistic IMO

You're right and what I'm about to say may not apply to you but . . . reading statements like this is so infuriating now because it's all hindsight and that's always 20/20. I was saying that there was no way Brady or the offense would come out firing in February on this board, and I repeatedly got flamed and called all kinds of nasty things for it. I laughed at the time, but after two sub-par performances, everyone is seeing the light. It was always unrealistic to think that a QB who missed a full year of football could come back and immediately be in 2007 form. More importantly, the mental hurdles of coming back from any injury are usually daunting, even impossible for some. I knew that and it worried me back then. It worries me even more now. I can only wonder just how long it'll take him to clear his mental hurdles.

I think brady has confidence in his ability, but after 2 weeks he doesn't have confidence in his line

If the coaching staff smartens up and starts, you know, using the guys they have signed up for that position called "running back," this offense will be much better. I don't mean a rush-heavy offense, but giving the ball to Maroney and Taylor fourteen times combined today was inexcusable, especially considering the score.

I won't worry about Brady unless he's playing the way he did today on week five.

At the end of the season, we're looking at a 11-5, 10-6 team.
No. 12-4 at least if Brady plays well next week.

As for Atlanta/Baltimore/Tennessee, we should beat Tennessee. Of those three, the Ravens are the only team I really worry about.

Last edited:
Re: Are people ACTUALLY worried about the O ?

Brady has attempted 100 pass attempts, in TWO GAMES. This horrible play calling has just gotta stop, all these holding penalties and delay of game penalties have got to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back