PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are people ACTUALLY worried about the O?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's week 2 and we're 1-1. So is Richards team. He had 2 tackles and an assist this week. If one of Cassel's receivers had been able to get out of bounds to stop the clock KC would have won on a FG. The defense was FINE. And that's without Mayo. I fault the ST for a lousy performance across the board (with the exception of Maroney on KO's), the coaching staff for wussing out to open the half when they had stymied this kid fairly easily for the entire first half and would stymie him again only a TD to late, but mostly I fault the offense. And not the QB, although he had his meltdown moments, but that's not rust so much as frustration showing and with good reason... Moss is a $9M team captain and I want to see him do more than wave his pompoms on the sidelines and give pep talks, play headgames with defenders who pick him and commit facemask penalties. Why a kid like Edleman can get it in this offense while a veteran like Galloway lags behind baffles me. Why we have 5 RB on this roster I have no idea. But mostly I want an OL that can pass and run block without it looking like a chinese fire drill where we can't convert 3rd and short or Brady is picking grass out of his teeth. The kind that allows the TE's to get out in the pattern and screens to be set, too.

Well, we seem to have watched a different game for the second week in a row.

But I'm not going to piss and moan like some 5th grader who's lunch money got stolen for the last damn time just because Bill dosen't always do what I'd do in his place. I think if Bill has an achilles heal it's his belief that he can scheme and coach his way out of any corner. I think this is a talent issue, only it's that he thinks his talent on offense is better than it truly is. Brady's favorite receiver used to be the open one. Aren't many of those lately and he seldom has time to locate them when they are. If we could punish teams on the ground or underneath they would back off. But we CAN'T. There is a reason. You know that as well as I do. This isn't something Dante can scheme around, been trying to for a year and a half now...

The team's playing poorly, both on offense and defense. Noting that is not a case of "piss and moan like some 5th grader who's lunch money got stolen for the last damn time". It's pointing out the obvious when analyzing a game. As for the line, I'm not going down that road. It can only lead to bad things.

Brady saved their asses last week. He's the least of the problems. The offense is getting stale, everyone knows what's coming unless they go no huddle and Brady pulls a receiving TE out of his ass...or everyone executes to perfection. It shouldn't be this hard with the weapons this team has.

Brady's throws used to be in on time, every time, and in a 6 inch window. Right now, they are early, late, high, low, in front, behind, in the ground, far overhead and, occasionally, on target. Saying he's the least of their problems is just ignoring the reality of what's going on.

But while I'm discouraged I also looked at the winners this week as well as last and I don't see a lock for the AFC Superbowl contender emerging. Denver is 2-0, much to Mav's chagrin, though. :D

Yes, it's week 2 and there's plenty of time to get everything together. What so many here kept ignoring last week is that I was talking about one game and not indicting the season. I feel the same way after week 2. This team needs to show dramatic improvement, and it needs to happen soon, but 1-1 isn't a reason to panic.

Now, if they fall to 1-3, I'll still be looking at the team and thinking that it can make it back to the playoffs, but I'll understand those that are panicking, because the margin for error will be all but gone.

Last edited:
2003 we started out 2-2, losing to 2 non-playoff teams (one was a thrashing, Brady's worst game of his career).

2001 we started 1-3, looked 100x worse than 2003.

Oh let's not forget Brady's body language in early 2006. Offense turned out fine.

Oh let's not forget Brady's body language in early 2006. Offense turned out fine.

my body language would be terrible too if i had to pick between doug gabriel and reche caldwell as my primary receiver (at the time, jabar wasnt there yet)

brady looked godawful today but to be fair its tom brady, the patriots will be ok

Last year we had a pretty balanced offense and won 11 games. We need to be balanced. We need to run consistently.

This is like Madden where we keep throwing to rack up stats or something. Maybe force Brady out of his funk. Gah.

2003 we started out 2-2, losing to 2 non-playoff teams (one was a thrashing, Brady's worst game of his career).

2001 we started 1-3, looked 100x worse than 2003.

Unless Hoyer = Brady II, and Brady has become Bledsoe, 2001 is a terrible comparison.

Last edited:
Brady's throws used to be in on time, every time, and in a 6 inch window.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "used" is the past participle of use, from which I may deduce that you're referring to seven consecutive injury-free seasons for QB12.

Confirm/deny: He played poorly in his second complete regular season game since 2006, so you're *****ing that he's inaccurate.

I think brady has confidence in his ability, but after 2 weeks he doesn't have confidence in his line

:agree:

Or in his receivers. Watson stepped up huge late last week. This week, I guess he was mostly too busy blocking.

I just watched the Moss INT again and I'm sorry but Brady unloaded that throw in the teeth of a blitz and had $9M reasons to believe his receiver would not have literally decided to give up positon, be it because he either didn't think the throw was coming or he was intent on confusing the CB who literally took him out of the game all game or he flat out got beat. 8 throws, 4 catches, 24 yards. More often than not since the middle of 2007 Randy catches balls when he's wide open. Otherwise, it's a sketchy proposition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "used" is the past participle of use, from which I may deduce that you're referring to seven consecutive injury-free seasons for QB12.

Confirm/deny: He played poorly in his second complete regular season game since 2006, so you're *****ing that he's inaccurate.

No, I'm pointing out that, to this point in this season, he's been inaccurate in comparison to what he was in the past.

Last edited:
Unless Hoyer = Brady II, and Brady has become Bledsoe, 2001 is a terrible comparison.

Brady and the offense had a disastrous game @ Miami. It's a long season

Well, we seem to have watched a different game for the second week in a row.

Brady's throws used to be in on time, every time, and in a 6 inch window. Right now, they are early, late, high, low, in front, behind, in the ground, far overhead and, occasionally, on target. Saying he's the least of their problems is just ignoring the reality of what's going on.

Sanchez was sacked twice. Brady on the other hand was hurried 15 times and knocked down 5 more. That's almost half of his attempts. He was rusty early on Monday. He was 13 of 14 in the last two drives. The Bills were gassed. The JETS never let up and he was missing Welker (although he and Edleman did OK) and his TE's were MIA.

Yes, it's week 2 and there's plenty of time to get everything together. What so many here kept ignoring last week is that I was talking about one game and not indicting the season. I feel the same way after week 2. This team needs to show dramatic improvement, and it needs to happen soon, but 1-1 isn't a reason to panic.

Now, if they fall to 1-3, I'll still be looking at the team and thinking that it can make it back to the playoffs, but I'll understand those that are panicking, because the margin for error will be all but gone.

You were fine until the trade. It's like you got so incensed you joined the dark side... You used to know that this OL needed upgrading (although I think you carried a smoldering grudge for 2 drafts over it not being upgraded with a particular #1) and you know the deal with 81.

You were fine until the trade. It's like you got so incensed you joined the dark side... You used to know that this OL needed upgrading (although I think you carried a smoldering grudge for 2 drafts over it not being upgraded with a particular #1) and you know the deal with 81.

I'm fine now, just as I was before the trade. I've always called it as objectively as possible, and I will continue to do so.

Preseason:

I talked about my questions regarding the secondary
I expressed my preference for the 3-4 over the 4-3
I talked about my disappointment that the team passed on Oher when he was there
I talked about the offense needing time to gel and the need of the D to support the O
I talked about how bad a trade I felt the Cassel/Vrabel trade was
I talked about not liking the Hobbs trade because of the uncertainty in the secondary
I talked about the offensive line not being good at opening up holes for the run
I talked about the need to get Maroney involved in the passing game

Seems to me that I've always been willing to question this team, this coach, this front office and this owner even as I've been a fan and one calling for people not to panic. I've not joined any 'dark side'. You've just gone from one who questioned when it was appropriate, to one who now seems to consider any questioning, no matter how minor, to be an act of treason.

The Seymour trade was a bad trade, but it's not why I've talked about the team playing poorly in the past couple of weeks. I've talked about the team playing poorly in the past couple of weeks because the team's played poorly in the past couple of weeks. It's really that simple.

Last edited:
No, I'm pointing out that, to this point in this season, he's been inaccurate in comparison to what he was in the past.

To this point in the season his OL has been inconsistent if not incompetent as compared to any time before February 2008. Just ask Cassel...who took more blame for their rough start last season than he deserved. The scary part this time is Neal was in. And Moss has been increasingly easier to eliminate without a dedicated double team for over a year now. And Welker has been somewhat inconsistent and unavailable, probably because he's slowly recovering (hopefully) from some far more serious procedure than we'll ever know. And Galloway has been slow on the uptake while Lewis never managed any. And the 2/3rds of the TE are new and the veteran one finally had a career game last week but this week...

Honestly. Brady knocked the rust off last week. This week he was frustrated beyond belief. Talk to a QB and they will tell you that when the good ones miss more often than not it wasn't the throw that was off so much as the receiver. Brady isn't throwing to a guy, he's throwing to a spot where a guy is supposed to be. I didn't see Brady thumping his chest much today, and he generally owns up. And at least half his throws were being attempted under duress.

I'm fine now. I've always called it as objectively as possible, and I will continue to do so.

Preseason:

I talked about my questions regarding the secondary
I expressed my preference for the 3-4 over the 4-3
I talked about my disappointment that the team passed on Oher when he was there
I talked about the offense needing time to gel and the need of the D to support the O
I talked about how bad a trade I felt the Cassel/Vrabel trade was
I talked about not liking the Hobbs trade because of the uncertainty in the secondary
I talked about the offensive line not being good at opening up holes for the run
I talked about the need to get Maroney involved in the passing game

Seems to me that I've always been willing to question this team, this coach, this front office and this owner even as I've been a fan and one calling for people not to panic. I've not joined any 'dark side'. You've just gone from one who questioned when it was appropriate, to one who now seems to consider any questioning, no matter how minor, to be an act of treason.

I think questioning is fine. I think the FO and coaching staff deserve a certain amount of slack based on prior performance, but not absolute unquestioning devotion by any means.

I have my own list of concerns, some of which overlap with yours:

1. I am concerned about the lack of offensive balance and the over-emphasis on the pass, and becoming too much of a finesse offense.
2. I am concerned about the defensive play calling not being aggressive or attacking enough.
3. I am concerned about an over-reliance on veteran JAGs rather than more aggressively bringing in youthful talent (Butler, Brace Vollme and Chung).
4. I am concerned about the OL, and the run-blocking in particular.
5. I am concerned that the DL has not looked good since the Seymour trade.
6. I am concerned about LB depth.
7. Like you I would like to see Maroney get more involved in the passing game - he has elite skills when you give him the ball with some room to work.

I disagree with you on some points (I never saw Oher as a good fit; I feel that the secondary is developing nicely and will end up being our best secondary since 2003-2004), and I don't think the problems are insolvable or fatal, but there are issues to be addressed and the team's overall play over the first 2 games is not acceptable.

Last week I can understand Brady airing it out. Not today. They should have committed to the run. They had the time and the score on both sides was condusive to keep a balanced offensive approach.

For a few years now, probably since Weis left, the power structure that shapes the offensive philosophy has come from quarterbacks coaches (Josh McD, and now the current play caller, whose name I cannot recall). What they are best at is designing plays for Tom. Randy's arrival furthered that approach. (In fact, I was not surprised that Tom lost his season last year catering to the joint needs of Randy's and his. They got greedy once too often).

The team has to get back to a balanced offensive approach. They have competent backs. You cannot run for two or three yards on first down, pass for an incompletion on second down and then be forced to pass on third downs. But this is what has been happening very often lately. We have been punting quite a lot lately. If we are going to punt anyway, might as well get into that situation with 50% or more ground game.

I think our offense works way better when Moss goes over the middle on intermediate routes. I think it's a waste of time to send anyone on long patterns on this team. Tom is not yet comfortable and there are too many blitzes for the patterns to work.

Brady was discombobulated. it seriously reminded me of how bad Cassel looked vs the Chargers last year. the Jets clearly had Brady rattled-- Tom always exudes confidence, but he looked shocked on the sidelines. i'm not going to panic though. Brady and The Unstoppable Toss will get back on track vs the Falcons.

i do think Freddy T needs to be the full time RB and get 15-20 carries a game.

I disagree with you on some points (I never saw Oher as a good fit; I feel that the secondary is developing nicely and will end up being our best secondary since 2003-2004), and I don't think the problems are insolvable or fatal, but there are issues to be addressed and the team's overall play over the first 2 games is not acceptable.

Just thought I'd respond here:

1.) We disagree on Oher, and I wanted Clady the year before. I wanted a big-time LT and to try transitioning Light to the right side. I still think Oher would have been a good choice. If Volmer is ready by next season, I'll consider it a non-issue. If he's not, the other 3 second rounders had better become little short of Mayo-like to make up for the decision.

2.) I don't hate or dislike the secondary. I think it's a questionable unit in that I don't believe we know what we have there, and I don't think it's been tested yet. Atlanta should be an interesting test. I just thought that the trade was a matter of getting unneeded picks for a player that could help the team.

Just thought I'd respond here:

1.) We disagree on Oher, and I wanted Clady the year before. I wanted a big-time LT and to try transitioning Light to the right side. I still think Oher would have been a good choice. If Volmer is ready by next season, I'll consider it a non-issue. If he's not, the other 3 second rounders had better become little short of Mayo-like to make up for the decision.

2.) I don't hate or dislike the secondary. I think it's a questionable unit in that I don't believe we know what we have there, and I don't think it's been tested yet. Atlanta should be an interesting test. I just thought that the trade was a matter of getting unneeded picks for a player that could help the team.

I loved Clady the year before (though some considered him "soft"), but was happy (and still am) with the Mayo pick. I liked Clady, DRC and Mayo at #10 and would have been happy with any of them, but ILB was the greatest need and Mayo the most unique talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft