PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aqib Talib Calls Offseason Workouts "The Best Part of the year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be a pest, but how do you know he is a really, really good CB? He hasn't proven squat. I' m not saying he isn't, but he really hasn't done anything yet. He barely got on the field last year when he was healthy, and that was before Talib came and our secondary was a mess.

For the brief period in his rookie season where he was healthy, he played really well. Physically, he has all of the tools to be a Talib-esque corner--maybe not quite as good, but similar style and Pro Bowl talent. The problem is that he hasn't been healthy and on the field for nearly 2 years. That makes me skeptical that he'll ever reach anything close to his potential, but I'm definitely hoping to be surprised.

Dennard isn't a slot corner. He's strictly an outside guy.

TF??? :confused:

That's like saying "He's strictly Lamborghini. He can't drive a Chevy."

I detested the Dowling Selection, nearly as much as I detested the rejection of the Trade that the Miners reportedly offered us, so I have a Dog in this Fight...Having noted that, I have about as much faith in Dowling ~ and include him in my Plans & Projections ~ as I have in Pryor ~ Oh!! Wait!!...He's gone!! :rolleyes:

Having said so...He's one Hell of a sweet X Factor. :cool:

"Talib Anchors..."??? :confused:

Syntax Error.

Even so, as the Author of "The Ripple Effect ~ the Talib Trade will Transform our Defense", I applaud our retention of this psychotic lunatic, and I wouldn't be surprised if he racks up 8, 10, or even 12 Interceptions, this Year. :eek:

...At which point I would heartily recommend Tagging & Trading'm!! Sell HIGH, Baby!! :D

Aqib Talib's biggest challenge is attempting to stay healthy in my opinion. He's had the exact same 2 nagging injuries (hamstring, hip) that have kept him from actually finishing any of the past 3 seasons. To me, that's a major concern.

In his 5 seasons played, he misses an average of 5 games per year, or approximately 1/3 of each season. That's an enormous worry for "anchoring" our secondary.

That said, the depth has improved, and any one of Dennard, Dowling, Arrington, or even Ryan could end up starting in his place if need be.

I agree that I'd sell high too, unless he really took a couple of steps forward this year in terms of leadership, attitude, work ethic, and he showed the ability to stay completely healthy...then I'd consider keeping him for another 2-3 yrs on a higher money deal.

We all have a healthy skepticism about his ability to stay on the field, but Dowling is a really, really good DB. An actual season from him could make a big difference to this defense.

Didn't Dowling miss OTAs and struggled through TC with the injury that landed him on IR his rookie season?

Having him involved in a full program of OTA/TC would do him the world of good, hopefully he's over the injury bug.

Just to echo these sentiments even more, the same author of the original Talib story (the OP) also came out with this article today, where he states that Ras-I-Dowling was the best CB who stuck out in the group of 4.

Ras-I Dowling Might Be Patriots’ Best Option at Cornerback Alongside Aqib Talib, If He Can Stay Healthy | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe