PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone notice the OL play? Light in particular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaws claimed Light was attempting to cut block, but I don't recall NE OTs using cut blocks to set up the screen, generally they let the DE push them back to the QB. Re-watching this play it looked like Schobel just got Light off balance and he fell, but instead of rushing Tom, Schobel read the screen and camped in the throwing lane. Tom may or may not have recognized the danger, he did try to get some loft to that ball, but Kyle Williams came off Mankins with a full head of steam and Brady had no time to spare. It was a super play by Schobel.

Box - This is why I don't believe it was a screen pass. on the screen, Mankins would have pulled outside.. Yet he didn't.. Unless they were doing a WR screen, which they usually do as a quick pass... not on a deep drop..

Box - This is why I don't believe it was a screen pass. on the screen, Mankins would have pulled outside.. Yet he didn't.. Unless they were doing a WR screen, which they usually do as a quick pass... not on a deep drop..
It was a screen, you can clearly see the screen forming behind Schobel and Morris cutting his route short and coming back behind the screen to give Brady a target.

It was a screen pass. Koppen was pulling and Mankins also pulled, but late. You can actually see him running and docking as he was between the RB and QB.

Box is correct in that Light wasn't trying to cut Schobel on the play. He just lunged at him as Shobel was going around him and Schobel threw him down. The reason I know Light lunges is because you can see his head going down right before he falls.

Considering it was a screen pass, there are 3 acceptable scenarios for Light: 1) he cuts the DE, 2) the DE rushes the passer hard, gets by Light, and is out of position when the pass is made, or 3) the DE recognizes the play but Light is actively engaged with him, thus making it difficult for the DE to either bat down the pass or turn and chase. There's no other way to spin it - Light made a bad play on that one.

Light may be washed up. I had him as a cut possibility going into the season. He won't be starting long if he keeps this up.

I guess you got to go back to noticing better. I have NEVER posted a single bad thing on Light, feel free to check every post I have ever made. Second, in EVERY 6 man line Light played RT inside Kaczur, go look at the tape. I dont think holding someone to one sack(lets not forget the INT for a TD either!)is a GOOD game. If every lineman held their guy to only 1 sack a game....thats 5 sacks, thats NOT a good game.
As far as missing blocks, every time Light pulled he missed his guy and/or HIS guy made the tackle. That includes the quick screens when he was on Whitner or other DBs. You could see in his body language that he was frustrated because even when he did make a decent block the RB would cut right into his guy and get tackled. Again, check the tape.
The rest of the line did OK, thats why Light's play stood out. Back to noticing things, I do notice that you talk &^%$ every time you follow my post. You do to other people as well, so you are that type of guy. In this case you have your "facts" wrong and I am tired of it. Stop talking out of your butt and dont put lies in other people's mouths to make yourself look smart as it only makes you look like a punk. White you are fact checking MY downplaying Light notice YOUR downplaying ME.

Jeff I wrote the same thing the other night. Light's play was extremely shoddy and on the interception that was a screen pass Light was on the dang ground. He couldn't even stay on his feet. If he was on his feet with his hands in the chest of Schoebel that would kept him off balance and most likely the ball WOULD NOT OF been picked off. In my opinion that interception was Matt Lights fault.

Light gave up 1 sack and some presure.
So he played crappy in 7-8 plays in a 77 snaps .... i am curious did brady have similar play snaps or moss maybe or what about wes welker.

the other team is coming to play too you know and inspite of your logic you need to analyse someone on the entire snap count and not well he played 76 snaps great but he is going to be cut because of 1 play

So he played crappy in 7-8 plays in a 77 snaps .... i am curious did brady have similar play snaps or moss maybe or what about wes welker.

the other team is coming to play too you know and inspite of your logic you need to analyse someone on the entire snap count and not well he played 76 snaps great but he is going to be cut because of 1 play

Say that when Brady gets steamrolled at Light's expense. I understand top LT's aren't easy to come by but luckily this week the Jets have no such pass rusher. They are straight up the gut blitzers. You know they want to make Brady move his feet and get him out of the pocket.

Brady had more poor snaps than Light.
Welker had more poor plays that Light.
Light's performance is about normal for him against Schoebel.

I understand that there are those on this site who would get rid of each of our OL's expect Mankins. Then there are those of us who appeciate how solid this line has been over the past few years.

Brady had more poor snaps than Light.
Welker had more poor plays that Light.
Light's performance is about normal for him against Schoebel.

I understand that there are those on this site who would get rid of each of our OL's expect Mankins. Then there are those of us who appeciate how solid this line has been over the past few years.

I doubt Welker had more bad plays than Light.
As for Brady, it's not even a fair comparison. Sure he has bad plays. But how many times does he bail out other players who make bad plays?

Light had about 10 bad snaps - including the penalty, screen pass, and ones where his man either got a direct hit on Brady or made a tackle for no gain. That also includes the plays where he played TE - not exactly his strong suit. I would venture to say that if each OL and TE had 10 bad plays like that, our offense wouldn't do very well.

I doubt Welker had more bad plays than Light.
As for Brady, it's not even a fair comparison. Sure he has bad plays. But how many times does he bail out other players who make bad plays?

Light had about 10 bad snaps - including the penalty, screen pass, and ones where his man either got a direct hit on Brady or made a tackle for no gain. That also includes the plays where he played TE - not exactly his strong suit. I would venture to say that if each OL and TE had 10 bad plays like that, our offense wouldn't do very well.

Our offense didn't do very well. And you wouldn't expect guards and centers to have as many bad plays because their position is more protected.

I think some of us need to read Grogan's analysis of the offense. I blame dante as much as Light for his failures against Buffalo. It was not reasonable to expect Light to take on Schoebel without help. That doesn't make Light any better. If dante didn't give him help, it was his responsibility to step up. HOWEVER, it is all on Light.

With regard to Brady and Welker early in the game, it is on them. They are the best.

Light is mediocre on a good day. Against a fast defense, he is worse than worthless...just a body standing out there wondering what to do as players zoom by him. Unfortunate.

You8 clearly don't know wtf you are talking about. Light wasn't on his rear end when Schoebel made the one handed interception. Schoebel had pushed Light back away from him, but Light wasn't on the ground..

No, sorry, that wasn't Light's fault. There is no where in any coaching manual for the O-line that says you keep your man from making an interception on an Ill-advised throw..

And Light didn't miss the block on Schoebel on that play either. Again, you love to make things up. People have taken you to task for that in the past.

Again, this seems personal and I think you have me confused with someone else. You clearly have to look at the tape again as I am only observing not interpretting. Schobel made a great play, sure. But Light I am SURE wasnt supposed to give him a free release on the QB. You dont think it was a screen?? Wow. Not much I can say on that, just WOW.
Back to Lights play. Even when he wasnt up against Schobel he was noticably the worst OL on the field. He whiffed on blocks more than once, he took his defender and BLOCKED him into the hole so he could make the tackle more than once. And on the 6 man line pass where he and Kaczur were double teaming the end....he GAVE UP on the play before the ball was out of Brady's hand(watch that again and tell me you are happy with him). Completely unacceptable. He was PULLED from the game what, 3x?? He had a bad penalty. He is best in the no huddle where the ends tire out, he is still a decent pass blocker. Given his performance its no coincidence that Vollmer got so much time on the field, obviously by design. That tells me the coaches are likely seeing the same thing in practice. I would be surprised if he finishes the season if he has another game like that.

From my seats I thought I heard the refs announce several times "72 is an eligible receiver." Why would that be?

Again, this seems personal and I think you have me confused with someone else. You clearly have to look at the tape again as I am only observing not interpretting. Schobel made a great play, sure. But Light I am SURE wasnt supposed to give him a free release on the QB. You dont think it was a screen?? Wow. Not much I can say on that, just WOW.
Back to Lights play. Even when he wasnt up against Schobel he was noticably the worst OL on the field. He whiffed on blocks more than once, he took his defender and BLOCKED him into the hole so he could make the tackle more than once. And on the 6 man line pass where he and Kaczur were double teaming the end....he GAVE UP on the play before the ball was out of Brady's hand(watch that again and tell me you are happy with him). Completely unacceptable. He was PULLED from the game what, 3x?? He had a bad penalty. He is best in the no huddle where the ends tire out, he is still a decent pass blocker. Given his performance its no coincidence that Vollmer got so much time on the field, obviously by design. That tells me the coaches are likely seeing the same thing in practice. I would be surprised if he finishes the season if he has another game like that.

Good post. I was surpirsed they cut Britt, I thought he had potential.

We have to face facts that Light just isn't that good and he's declined further this year.

He was PULLED from the game what, 3x?? He had a bad penalty. He is best in the no huddle where the ends tire out, he is still a decent pass blocker. Given his performance its no coincidence that Vollmer got so much time on the field, obviously by design. That tells me the coaches are likely seeing the same thing in practice. I would be surprised if he finishes the season if he has another game like that.

He was "pulled" from the game because NFL rules state that a player can't go from being eligible to non-eligible without either sitting out one play, or a stoppage in play. That's the way BB explained it on EEI. So I wouldn't put any emphasis on that. I will say that out of the 7 or 8 times he lined up at TE, he had 1 penalty and 2 missed blocks that ended up in negative plays (with one being the 4th and inches in the 1st quarter). I've always been pro-Light, so I'm hoping he just had a bad game. And maybe the Light at TE experiment will be over soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back