PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone know why the Patriots pass on Dawand Jones?

I keep seeing the word hindsight repeated, though I recall several posters and analysts pounding the table for Dawand all through the draft process so I'm not sure use of the word hindsight applies. The pounding was particularly loud during the 4 or 5 picks we had in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I was screaming at the TV in April of 2019 for the Patriots to take DK Metcalf....

Is N'Keal still even in the league?

I keep seeing the word hindsight repeated, though I recall several posters and analysts pounding the table for Dawand all through the draft process so I'm not sure use of the word hindsight applies. The pounding was particularly loud during the 4 or 5 picks we had in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
Anyone that followed the draft knew about the guy. Late first, 2nd round pick projection. Team’s knew about him from his work at Ohio St and senior bowl. Barely participated at combine and again almost nothing at his proday. Not a bench, not a wonderlic no jumps or shuttles. Assuming didn’t interview well at all.

I was screaming at the TV in April of 2019 for the Patriots to take DK Metcalf....

Well, that’s another one. A lot thought DK would be gone and were targeting AJ Brown. A decent percentage for Deebo Samuel and maybe 2 mocked Nkeal to the Pats.

While there is a tendency to blame the Pats for not picking him before pick #111, 31 other teams did not see him to have much value either..
Jones has played 3 of 4 games so lets see how he does after a few more, before the predictable whining and mashing of teeth..

He apparently interviewed pretty poorly. From what I remember he was telling teams he wanted to play basketball but was too big and had trouble keeping his weight in check, motivation issues, etc. Basically a Trent Brown clown who was right there in the 4th for us and we took a backup center. Take a guy like that in the first or second round? With this team not worth the risk but in the fourth? I was hoping we would have taken him. Would I give him a second contract? No, probably not, unless he does a lot of maturing but you get 3-4 years of solid play at tackle and let someone else pay him big money and become their headache while you get a third round comp pick in return. That would have been the Bill chess v checkers game but I think Bill has forgotten which chess pieces go where at this point.
Feels like we ask this question on so many guys that turn into or are studs in the league.

While there is a tendency to blame the Pats for not picking him before pick #111, 31 other teams did not see him to have much value either..
Jones has played 3 of 4 games so lets see how he does after a few more, before the predictable whining and mashing of teeth..
No use whining about it, obviously it was a great pick for them. Just watch him and you already know how good he is. We can lament the pick but some dwell on it for years and can’t let it go.

and were targeting AJ Brown

Pats scouts pounded the table for AJ Brown to the point Brown thought he was getting picked by the Pats but Todd Graham happened.

Beware of PFF stats. They wrote that he had a clean sheet against Pitt also.
PFF thinks he sucks. They have him rated 55th out of 68 OT. Only reason he's even playing is because Conklin is on IR

WOE IS ME, we are the only fan base who can bash their personnel department for picking "this" guy instead of "that" one in the draft. :rolleyes: And the neat thing is we use the SAME names over and over again of years on end. To think we have so MANY individuals here who are simply wasted at their current jobs when they SHOULD be working their 20-20 hindsight magic for NFL front offices.

A bit sarcastic, you say? Not NEARLY enough!

DK was a bad fit for their offense and a perfect fit for Seattle’s. Debo should have been the pick.

DK was a bad fit for their offense and a perfect fit for Seattle’s. Debo should have been the pick.

Not if you compare Deebo's college stats with N'Keal Harry's. Add in that Deebo's college career was shortened pretty severely due to season ending injuries in his Freshman & Junior years and Harry looked like the right choice. Plus, you know that if the Pats had selected the 6'0" Samuel over the 6'4" Harry, the "Oh great, another smurf" comments would have followed. :)

Are we going to discuss every player every team passed on for the first 3 rounds of the last five drafts?

DK looked like Chad Jackson 2.0. Tons of hype coming out from his workouts, but he was that boom bust type pick. Part of me thought they would roll they dice on him or Samuel.

Daniel Jerimiah predicted during his 40 yard dash, that if N'Keal Harry ran a 4.5, he'd be a first round pick. He ran a 4.5. Then he picked up more steam when he benched as many reps as DK Metcalf (27) at 225 pounds. Lastly, on draft day, Jerimiah had said that Harry was rising up draft boards. I ignored it and thought teams were blowing smoke to bait others to take him. Come to find out, Harry locked in his draft status with NE after that bizarre workout with McDaniels @DropKickFlutie told us about looooooooooong before the media finally starting talking about it. I asked him how he knew about this, but I don't recall if he had told me.

Last edited:
As it SEEMS right now:

This year, they got a shutdown #1 corner.
This year, they got the most promising DL force I've seen around here in a long time.
This year, they got another missile DB/LB, who I believe will have a very good if not great career.
This year, they got a very good kicker.
This year. they got a very good punter.
This year, they got a potentially Onwenu like OL force.
This year, they got a very good-looking OG/OT.
This year, they got an electric slot receiver.
This year, they got an NFL caliber WR, I believe.
This year, they got their center's replacement.

As for Speed and Bolden (I like him a LOT), we'll see.

So yeah, how dare they miss on Jones?

Not if you compare Deebo's college stats with N'Keal Harry's. Add in that Deebo's college career was shortened pretty severely due to season ending injuries in his Freshman & Junior years and Harry looked like the right choice. Plus, you know that if the Pats had selected the 6'0" Samuel over the 6'4" Harry, the "Oh great, another smurf" comments would have followed. :)

I wanted Deebo in that draft, and he had come out and said he wanted to be a Patriot.

Looks kinda dumb now..

The same reason they passed on Lamar Jackson and Nick Chubb for Wynn and Michel. Samuel, Brown, Metcaff, and McLarin for Harry, McDuffe, Hall and Pickens for Strange and Thorton.

Patriot Missile spoke out strongly against Dawand Jones. I remember.

He refused to be weighed at his pro day. He only practi one day at the Senior Bowl. He didn’t follow the normal meat market rules. But he’s an NFL starter as a rookie taken in a mid round so he was easily draftable by us at a position of need.

We had 14 freakin’ picks in the draft!

Unless like Wozzy one thinks we’re set with the free agents we brought in during the off-season and the tackles we already had left over from last season.

Ah, no. Rieff was cast aside by the Bears. They had enough after just one season with him.

I should say Patriot Missile is highly intelligent, judicious, but he was very anti Dawand Jones.

But I agreed with DaBruinz in the draft forum. The idea of OTs Trent Brown and Dawand Jones was certainly compelling.

At Ohio State he played against high competition, especially that classic game against Georgia. Some people said in that game he was dominant.

One could argue that the N'Keal pick is WHY Brady didn't stick around....had we taken one of Metcalf, Brown, or Samuel....we wouldn't also burn a 2nd on Snau nor done the AB experiment....

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back