PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone know why the Patriots pass on Dawand Jones?

Looks kinda dumb now..
The word is that he plummeted down draft boards due to his interviews and work ethic. Multiple teams passed on him.

But, yes, he was one of the guys I wanted.

The big red flag that went mostly unreported at the time was when he refused to weigh in at his pro day. He was 374 at the combine on March 5, but somebody (likely his agent) decided he was better off letting everybody assume the worst than to admit how much weight he really gained in the 17 days since then.

He apparently interviewed pretty poorly. From what I remember he was telling teams he wanted to play basketball but was too big and had trouble keeping his weight in check, motivation issues, etc. Basically a Trent Brown clown who was right there in the 4th for us and we took a backup center. Take a guy like that in the first or second round? With this team not worth the risk but in the fourth? I was hoping we would have taken him. Would I give him a second contract? No, probably not, unless he does a lot of maturing but you get 3-4 years of solid play at tackle and let someone else pay him big money and become their headache while you get a third round comp pick in return. That would have been the Bill chess v checkers game but I think Bill has forgotten which chess pieces go where at this point.

Looks kinda dumb now..
Tough to say - it would have been him instead of Jake Andrews, and I don't disagree that Jones would have been a good move. But Ryland has worked out, Sow has been promising, and Andrews has seen snaps so far, so they seem to have at least hit on guys who can play, which is, fortunately, one solace we can take away.

Otherwise, while it would have been nice, hindsight is always 20/20, and it's unfortunate that tackle remains such a big area of need.

He didn't like the clam chowder in Boston.

Offensive Tackle was a NEED going in that was known but BB prefer other positions early.
???

I definitely wouldn't go that far.

2019 3rd rounder
2018 1st rounder
2017 3rd rounder
2014 4th rounder
2011 1st rounder
2009 2nd rounder
2005 3rd rounder
2001 2nd rounder
2001 4th rounder
2000 4th rounder

That's 10 picks taken around where Jones was taken or higher. History shows the Patriots will draft a tackle pretty high in the draft.

I firmly believe they wanted a tackle in 2022 but when all of them were surprisingly taken before the Patriots pick, they traded out because they had no other value there.

Last edited:
Or you can just not draft a backup center.

This is David Andrews 9th season with the team... of the previous 8 years he's played a full slate of games 3 times...

So considering the injury history of David Andrews I have zero issues with us drafting a back up center... in fact, after having James Ferentz start 3 games at center last year, it was a move long overdue...

But that's just me... maybe you like Ferentz and want him on the field more when things go sideways in the middle of the line

Looks kinda dumb now..
Sure, just ignore the fact that almost every team in the league passed on him multiple times.

1. Using the retrospectoscope in order to criticize BB and the player personnel department is always a fan favorite here. In other words, it’s easy to look smart when you already have the answers to the test.

2. Given the widespread need for quality OTs in the NFL, it is a good bet that the concerns were not frivolous in nature.

3. He has started three games in the NFL. Let’s not put him in the HOF just yet. He still has ample opportunity to eat himself out of the league or for his knees to say “no mas”. Becton looked like a future All-Pro as a rookie before his knees started revolting.

4. Beware of PFF stats. They wrote that he had a clean sheet against Pitt also.

Sure looks like a clear loss against Watt to me. His feet also look slow, IMO. We aren’t talking about Trent Brown 2.0.

This is David Andrews 9th season with the team... of the previous 8 years he's played a full slate of games 3 times...

So considering the injury history of David Andrews I have zero issues with us drafting a back up center... in fact, after having James Ferentz start 3 games at center last year, it was a move long overdue...

But that's just me... maybe you like Ferentz and want him on the field more when things go sideways in the middle of the line
So Bill finally decided to plan ahead and it’s at the expense of an immediate need at tackle.

So Bill finally decided to plan ahead and it’s at the expense of an immediate need at tackle.
Yeah that about sums it up... it's not like the Pats didn't bring in two tackles a solid month before the draft... oh wait they did, didn't they...

I get it though, you just wanna ***** about BB. Have at it... done with you.

Yeah that about sums it up... it's not like the Pats didn't bring in two tackles a solid month before the draft... oh wait they did, didn't they...

I get it though, you just wanna ***** about BB. Have at it... done with you.
And one became a guard 5 minutes into camp and the other was out all summer with an illness.

I get it though, you’ll defend Bill no matter what he does. Have fun.

Yeah, hindsight is a *****. 31 other teams passing on the projected 2nd round talent multiple times. Kind of a small sample of some 6th round QB that 31 other teams passed on 198 times. But nobody else can have late round steals in the draft. Just the Patriots.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back