Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone a member of FoxSports? This guy needs a reality check!!!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Va_Pats_Fan, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +121 / 3 / -2

#95 Jersey

2. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I also predict NE will be the only team in the AFC East to decline.

Which of these predictions do you find outlandish...

Patriots will not go 16-0.
    Bills will win 7 or more games
    Jets will win 4 or more games
    Dolphins will win at least one game

3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,583 / 20 / -10

#3 Jersey

Put another way: all the JEST and 'lphins have to do to improve is to suck less, :) while the Patriots merely have to go 17-(-1) in the regular season. :D

4. dhamz

dhamz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't agree with that one.

5. BrianPat

BrianPat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wow, a blogger thinks the Pats are in decline, stop the presses !

Who cares, I can remember reading and listening to the media talk about the Pats defense being an issue before the start of the season last year, in the end it was ranked 4th in the league. Assante might be missed, but personally, I doubt it. Capers is the consistent forgotten part of the equation, I suspect the defense the Patriots field this year will be the biggest surprise of the NFL. From everything I've learned, we drafted well and if these rookies are as smart as everyone is saying, people will be saying "Assante who ?"

Stop worrying about what anyone says expect Belichick until the playing starts, that's the only time we'll know for sure and even then, it'll take a few games to get all the wrinkles ironed out.

One last thing, the blogger failed to realize that Gaffney replaced Stallworth in the rotation ! He seems to think Gaffney's not much, but all I remember the super clutch finger tip catch in the end zone at the end of the Ravens game ! Nobody wants to see the Patriots dominate again, so it's really nothing more then wishful thinking. Relax, your a Patriots fan, you have nothing to worry about !

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,138 / 43 / -16

Didn't the world say the Pats were too old and their window had shut after the 2002 season? Hasn't virtually every year for the last half decade people predicted that the margin between the Pats and the other teams in the AFC East have diminished and that one or more of the other teams was ready to overtake the Pats?

Until we actually see these things happen, I won't hold my breath.

BTW, to talk about a 31 year old Brady as if he is Brett Favre's age, is crazy. Brady is still in his prime and should be for the next 3-5 years.

Also, if you want to talk about Moss' age (31), why not Terrell Owens (34) or Marvin Harrison (35)? Moss should still have another 2-3 years of high production as long as injuries don't get in the way.

As for the o-line "aging rapidly", what a mistatement. Light will be 30 when the season starts and Neal is 31, but everyone else is under 30. Besides, the Patriots have been successful at rotating in just average linemen and getting the most out of them for years (Andruzzi, Compton, Ashworth, Hochstein, etc.).

7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Haven't we "been on the decline" for the last three years now?

8. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +806 / 1 / -3

People have been hearing the "old, slowing down, in decline" opinion so often that they just accept it as fact. It's yet another case of somebody wanting something to be true, so they present opinions as truths without checking out the facts. It's nothing new and we should all be used to it by now, but I'll admit that it does still bother me when such mis-information is spread around and accepted as gospel.

9. ScottieC

ScottieC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

yes, last year was a rebuilding year for us. :rolleyes:

10. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My message to this idiotic Cowboys fan:

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  11. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Talk about overexaggerating. So much bull sh!t in that blog it became rather funny :D

Getting a little too excited me thinks..

12. PatsFanJess

PatsFanJess Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Dear Cowboys fan,

Marc Colombo
    Greg Ellis
    Terry Glenn
    Andre Gurode
    Kyle Kozier
    Terrence Newman
    Terrell Owens
    Tony Romo ( at 28, apparently he only has 2/3 more years left...better start hoping your coach can win a playoff game )

Love, PatsFanJess

13. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

This is the part that baffles me as well.
    • AD is one year removed from being the top overall FA on the market. Did people expect him to play on a 1-year contract and then be replaced?
    • Vrabel is on the backside of his career but is still highly productive (All-Pro level) and has a top 100 pick being groomed behind him.
    • Bruschi isn't a full-time player, splitting minutes with a top 10 pick.
    • Harrison isn't a full-time player, splitting minutes with a 1st round pick.

Then he goes on to say:
    TEN Kearse 32
    TEN Bullock 31
    TEN Harper 34
    JAX Peterson 32
    JAX Spicer 33
    JAX Meier 31
    CLE McGinest 36
    CLE Smith 31
    CLE Baxter 30
    BUF Schobel 31
    BUF Stroud 30
    BUF Denney 31

I imagine you would find a similar number of over-30 players on every defense in the league. As you say, that is just good balance between experience and youth.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,000 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

15. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It's his 'Fantasy Report'. The author is Number 22. How pathetic is that.?

16. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Didin't you guys know, if the Pats go 15-1, their in a decline :rolleyes:.

Losing Samuel may hurt, but it wasn't as bad when Ty Law went down with a season ending injury. I like Samuel but he isn't Ty Law. Gay on the other hand, I'm glad he is gone. Ignorant people will think Gay was a signifigant loss just because he was on a 16-0 team. Gay was torched on a regular basis by the likes of Greg Lewis for 2 td's and Steve Smith catching first down after first down in the superbowl. I'm positive that Wheatley will be an upgrade at nickel if he isn't in the starting lineup. I'm also excited about Fernando Bryant getting a chance to start as well. This defense needs new blood and better athletes.

Actually, Mayo's stock skyrocketed the night before the draft because teams were revealing who they wanted. The Lions really wanted Mayo at 19 and the draft was so weak that the Pats couldn't trade out again. Wasn't Mankins a reach too? :rolleyes:

That is why they drafted Kevin O'Connell in the third round. Their recievers aren't that old. Welker and Gaffney are 3 years from 30 and Chad Jackson is 23. Maroney has yet to impress you? Watch the playoffs again. Look at his yards per carry during the season. He didn't get many touches but he made the most of them. Regarding Stallworth, I'm a big fan of his and he seems like a guy you want in your locker room. However, Chad Jackson should be able to fill his roll. Lastly, their O-line isn't that old.

In the end, I can't believe this person would actually waste their time writing this article. There are flaws in every arguement they make. I might be wrong, but the Pats will be a better team next season. They have more youth and speed with their LB's and secondary. Mayo is that sideline to sideline LB that the Pats desperately needed and may make a Patrick Willis type impact. Hobson provides more speed and Bruschi should benefit from that as well. Merriweather is in his second season and I believe he will contribute a lot more to the defense. I like the additions of Bryant, Webster (if he can stay healthy), Tank Williams (if he can stay healthy) and the drafting of Wheatley and Whilite. That sounds a hell of a lot better than relying on Randall Gay in the slot (who was average at best) and Asante Samuel who had his lapses like everyone else. On offense, I believe the Pats won't change a thing and won't miss a beat that Stallworth is gone. Watson will come back healthy, Gaffney knows the offense very well, Welker is a beast in the slot, David Thomas will be an excellent backup TE and Chad Jackson will have a great season. Although some of the Pats backup RB's may be aging, Maroney is a stud in the making and the Pats may be able to sign Kevin Jones.

The Pats will finish 13-3 to 14-2, win the AFC East and win the AFC once again. Do you really think that the Bills, Titans and Browns are a threat to the Colts, Chargers and Patriots? Don't get me wrong, I like what the Browns are doing and their on their way up, but they don't stand a chance against the three best teams I listed above.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  17. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

This is absolutely hilarious. The guy responded to the message I sent him (see above):

My response back:

18. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +806 / 1 / -3

Consider the source. I checked the author's previous posts. Apparently he had not written for about football for a while because he has been busy on another site reviewing video games. He also writes fantasy football advice - after finishing last season with an 8-9 record.

One good thing about the internet is that everybody has an opportunity to voice their opinion. One bad thing about the internet is that so many poorly formed opinions are accepted as fact.

Edit: It just occured to me that there is probably a link between the FoxSports author's fixation with the unresearched myth that the Pats are old and video games. He also writes elsewhere that he is a big gamer, writing reviews of video games. I recall a post a few months back where somebody said that the Pats needed to draft a QB because Tom Brady was over the hill and would be done in a couple of years, leading to the end of the Patriots' dynasty. Eventually it came out that the person writing that opinion was basing that opinion on the Madden video game, where player's talents drop off dramatically after age 30.

For every Mike Reiss and Shalise Manza Young, the internet also provides us with folks unable to make the distinction between the NFL, fantasy football, and Madden '08.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.