PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any "One" player you want in the 1st round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
calvin johnson WILL NOT fall to 20....ill put all my money on it

To me, that's an early sign that the talent dropoff in the first round is pretty moderate. A bunch of good players that will last into the 40s, but few sure-fire, must have players.

True. Very few blue-chippers in that top 10.

So, why pin our hopes on one guy near the top of the draft, when the quality may not be that much lower in the 20s, where the Seattle pick will be, or in the early 30s where (hopefully) we'll be?
No one player is worth it when we can fill a couple of needs with what seems to be players of equal value/talent.

A lot of mocks have us taking LaMarr Woodley from Michigan with one of our # 1 picks.
Is he worth it for us?

I would, most certainly, use a 2 or 3 on Leonard. I wouldn't be surprised if some desperate team used a one on him. Now, he's not as dynamic as LT, but he does seem to have better abilities than Larry Centers. Which should tell you something.

IIRC, Leonard is Rutgers' all-time leading scorer and receiver.

Agree... underrated running skills from junior year, as well. Showed the willingness and ability to block, demonstrating a selfless attitude. My only reservation is that Peter King is in love with the kid, and love from King is like the kiss of death (i'm only half serious).

Rutgers was touting him as a potential Heisman candidate over the summer, and then Ray Rice took over as their main star, so to speak; Leonard handled it about as well as you could possibly expect. In my mind, it's pretty easy to picture him with Flying Elvis on his helmet. :rocker:

Seriously, though, the Pats are going to have to replace some of their current RB stable in the next couple of years (Dillon's tank may not be empty, but it's certainly less than half-full), and Leonard would, I think, go a long way in doing that, enough so that I can say I would have no problem with the Pats using a first for him, if that's what it would take.

IIRC, Leonard is Rutgers' all-time leading scorer and receiver.

Rutgers was touting him as a potential Heisman candidate over the summer, and then Ray Rice took over as their main star, so to speak; Leonard handled it about as well as you could possibly expect. In my mind, it's pretty easy to picture him with Flying Elvis on his helmet. :rocker:

Seriously, though, the Pats are going to have to replace some of their current RB stable in the next couple of years (Dillon's tank may not be empty, but it's certainly less than half-full), and Leonard would, I think, go a long way in doing that, enough so that I can say I would have no problem with the Pats using a first for him, if that's what it would take.

use a first and forget the defense and WR position? sweet....

A lot of mocks have us taking LaMarr Woodley from Michigan with one of our # 1 picks.
Is he worth it for us?

Someone(I believe Rook) has watched him a lot this year. And, doesn't
think he has the speed to pressure the qb from the edge. Will depend on his workout. A.Spencer -Purdue could move himself up to that area. Could solve our lb needs in free-agency. Sign A.Thomas and start him alongside Bruschi. Keep TBC as top backup at olb. Doubt if either happens. Probably keep Seau and draft an olb. If that's the case, we really do need to get younger at ilb. I haven't sat down and watched Ole Miss play. But, P.Willis might be one of our firsts.

Back to topic. L.Landry from LSU. Only way that could probably happen is if Seattle loses out and misses the playoffs.

use a first and forget the defense and WR position? sweet....

:rolleyes:

I didn't say I would trade both first rounders, nor did I say that I would just blindly use a first either. But don't forget that a good O would help keep the D off the field, which would help them.

Besides, as has been stated many times before, Belioli draft for value, not need. At this point, as long as they don't draft a QB or a K or a P in the first round, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

:rolleyes:

I didn't say I would trade both first rounders, nor did I say that I would just blindly use a first either. But don't forget that a good O would help keep the D off the field, which would help them.

Besides, as has been stated many times before, Belioli draft for value, not need. At this point, as long as they don't draft a QB or a K or a P in the first round, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

lets not be like the Colts..offense we need an LT or a WR and TE if Graham leaves. simple as that.

we have a good offense..will get better with consistentcy and experience. build a better D. look @ Ravens..crazy D decent O. they are doing welll..Chargers have 2 offensive weapons really..the WRs arent that good..Gates and LT and a young line.

we have Watson-Maroney and a young line but defensivly they have speed at LB ..fast 3-4 group. their secondary doesnt stand out but their front 7 does the work and makes everyone in secondary look better. so we need speed @ LB..a DB for depth and future starter would be nice too.

in first round..i would really want
Johnson
Adams
but they are out of reach

so Nelson, Landry, Willis, Hall would be great for me

South Carolina redshirt soph Sidney Rice is a stud WR. If he comes out this year he will likely go late in first round. If he stays he will probably be top 10 in 2008. I hate to take a WR in first, but this kid may be as good as Johnson - big, fast, good hands, good route runner.......Another South Carolina player to watch is junior MLB Jasper Brinkley - this kid is a PLAYER!!! ALL-SEC in first year with SC. He'll probably stay in school, but if he does come out, I would take him as early as round two or three....

My vote is for Patrick Willis, the ILB. This guy can come in and play a bit, while also learning from Tedy, Vrabel, etc.

Michael Griffin or Woodley would also be nice pieces to add to this D.

A WR can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rd., as well as a RB to eventually team with 39.

I WANT LaMarr Woodley. I think he'll go too high, and it's not like they have a pressing need.

well woodley would be an olb for us
and would possibly allow us to keep vrabel on the inside

well woodley would be an olb for us
and would possibly allow us to keep vrabel on the inside

i disagree...i dont think Woodley is quick enough for OLB..in a 3-4 he might be better off inside

Any player? Joe Thomas, without question

More realistically, I like Willis and McCauley

Obviously declarations will influence our #22 pick -- the more the merrier. :)

Value is the bottom line -- no exceptions.

The #22 slot represents a future starter (according to BB when we were selecting @ 21). The expected time frame to start would be year two or three.

That said, my best guess at this early stage...our first pick will be one of these 12. And yes, the list needs weeding out (plenty of time left to do so -- after the declarations and workouts):

CB
Leon Hall
Marcus McCauley
Daymeion Hughes
A.J. Davis
*Antoine Cason
*Darrelle Revis

S
LaRon Landry
*Reggie Nelson

DE
Victor Abiamiri
Anthony Spencer

TE
*Zach Miller
*Greg Olsen

Note:

If Graham remains on board -- scratch the TE position.

My preference for our first pick is to add a playmaker to our secondary. Prefer Nelson or one of the 6 CBs.

Fill the WR need at 1B or later.

*Juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3