PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any "One" player you want in the 1st round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We have 2 picks in the first. Is there any one player you really want us to grab if he is on the board? I don't watch many collage games to say but want a LB or DB with one of the picks. Wr wouldn't hurt either.
Who is that can't miss guy that would look good in a Pats uniform to you?

We have 2 picks in the first. Is there any one player you really want us to grab if he is on the board? I don't watch many collage games to say but want a LB or DB with one of the picks. Wr wouldn't hurt either.
Who is that can't miss guy that would look good in a Pats uniform to you?

No one player for me, too many spots that need help. CB, LB, WR, maybe TE and O line, Safety...

I like Nelson a lot, my gut says he'll go pretty high though and I don't want to trade up for him. In fact I don't want to trade up (unless we're talking about a #4 to move up 3 spots) for anyone.

So my answer to the thread, for now, is no. No-one has freaked me out as a guy we've got to have.

With that pick in the 28-32 range I would love Eric Weddle from Utah.

I'm convinced BB will turn the first rounders into nice additions to the team. However the one player from this draft class that I would want on my team is Leonard the FB from Rutgers. This guy is versatile, a team player and (depending on how he runs) has talent.

I WANT LaMarr Woodley. I think he'll go too high, and it's not like they have a pressing need.

I'm convinced BB will turn the first rounders into nice additions to the team. However the one player from this draft class that I would want on my team is Leonard the FB from Rutgers. This guy is versatile, a team player and (depending on how he runs) has talent.

we have pass whos versatile..Leonard isnt that good of a blocker..hes a mike alsott..carry ball-catch type of guy.we dont need a RB early

i want LaRon Landry or Nelson or Gaines Adam but i dont think any are in reach :(

Wow. You'd be willing to spend a first rounder on a FB?

He didn't say he'd use a first rounder on him - although Kiper has Leonard in the early round 2 range right now. He's more than a FB - but I'm not saying I'd use a #1 on him either :)

It would take a very special athlete for me to use a first rounder on someone that is not a three down player.

He didn't say he'd use a first rounder on him - although Kiper has Leonard in the early round 2 range right now. He's more than a FB - but I'm not saying I'd use a #1 on him either :)

i wouldnt even use a 4 on him

WR Calvin Johnson, without question.

My bad. What is he if he's more than an FB? An RB or TE?

I'd use a first rounder on THAT fullback. Leonard is a great kid and a real team player. Power back with agility, soft hands... great complement to Moroney. I'm a big fan, and hope he breaks into the first round. If our own pick is in the 30s, I dont think it's a reach at all.

WR Calvin Johnson, without question.

Wouldn't he be out of reach, even if we bundled picks? How about Ginn, the new Twig? Nice to pair up with Chad.

Wouldn't he be out of reach, even if we bundled picks? How about Ginn, the new Twig? Nice to pair up with Chad.

Yes, completely out of reach. If the question is, who is the one player I want that the team has a reasonable chance of acquiring, that's a whole different story...:)

i wouldnt even use a 4 on him

You wouldn't use a 4 on Brian Leonard? WOW. This kid is special. He is a RB in a FBs body. Not to mention self-less. He can block, catch and run effectively. I believe he runs in the 4.4 range.

I would, most certainly, use a 2 or 3 on Leonard. I wouldn't be surprised if some desperate team used a one on him. Now, he's not as dynamic as LT, but he does seem to have better abilities than Larry Centers. Which should tell you something.

You wouldn't use a 4 on Brian Leonard? WOW. This kid is special. He is a RB in a FBs body. Not to mention self-less. He can block, catch and run effectively. I believe he runs in the 4.4 range.

I would, most certainly, use a 2 or 3 on Leonard. I wouldn't be surprised if some desperate team used a one on him. Now, he's not as dynamic as LT, but he does seem to have better abilities than Larry Centers. Which should tell you something.

Agree... underrated running skills from junior year, as well. Showed the willingness and ability to block, demonstrating a selfless attitude. My only reservation is that Peter King is in love with the kid, and love from King is like the kiss of death (i'm only half serious).

Here's the thing with the first round this year: usually, there is a consensus top-5 or at least top-3 picks.

This year, there are only two players that are consensus top-5 picks: Quinn and Thomas. The rest swap in and out. Players that some pick at #3 on one mock draft dont get picked until #20 in another. Players that dont even make the first round in some drafts get taken in the top-10.

To me, that's an early sign that the talent dropoff in the first round is pretty moderate. A bunch of good players that will last into the 40s, but few sure-fire, must have players.

So, why pin our hopes on one guy near the top of the draft, when the quality may not be that much lower in the 20s, where the Seattle pick will be, or in the early 30s where (hopefully) we'll be? There is no way picking Ginn or Johnson could ever beat taking a pair of players like Woodley and Leonard.

Of if you dont think Woodley will fall to us, then Posluszny, Smardzija... someone IS going to fall. In every mock that I've seen, there is quality available at #21 that fits our needs and draft profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes