PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Announced Patriots cuts: countdown to 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Yeatman cut

Probably just for tonight... Rumor has it they are still dangling Butler on the trade market and if they add a an OG and a TE to the offense they will have to part with two defenders...

Short term our LT in waiting and Manieri were both TE conversions...

One of those guys on the field equate to 6 very large lineman.

Slater is big, strong, athletic, and has great timed speed.

I'm a Slater fan, but "big and strong"? He's 5'10 1/2" and under 200 lbs.

Last edited:
Slater is big, strong, athletic, and has great timed speed. He hasn't played WR much, but I don't think it makes sense to make definitive statements about how much he will or won't play. Just purely from a physical standpoint, there's no reason why he can't play.
Definitive statement?
There are 5 better WRs on the roster. Thats a pretty good reason to conclude the chances of him playing regularly are slim.
I think he has made some progress at the position, and gives us the added advantage that he will be active every game for s/ts so we can only activate 4 WRs and use him as the 5th of necessary, but there isn't much pt there.

I think that fits within the typical definition of "learning." It's a continuum, and 85 looks like he's still working toward mastery.

I disagree. "Learning" is "thinking" and that's precisely what he has to stop doing on the field.

I think that fits within the typical definition of "learning." It's a continuum, and 85 looks like he's still working toward mastery.
"Learning the offense" suggests he doesnt know the plays. I dont think thats the case.
He can know everything there is to know, but need reps to be comfortable with what he is seeing.
I really think he is already fine, and the lack of preseason passes to him is being overblown.

I don't know all that much about him, but special teams are a big part of it. He was working on both kick cover and return teams before he was hurt.

Apparently he was oft injured during college, and from what I've read, this is why he was not drafted.

I don't think he's a special teams only guy though, he could turn into a decent OLB.

FWIW, I'm thrilled that he made the cut (so far, anyways). About a week or two into training camp, during full team goal line work, he completely blew up Edelman to stop him about 6" out of the endzone. It was so great, I actually jumped up and screamed. Which was kind of funny since apparently I was the only person fired up about.

Here's a good overview:

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

He's fast, but undersized and potentially injury prone.

Surprising measurables:

Pro Day: 4.56 40, 37-inch vertical, 10'5" broad jump, 6.78 three-cone.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how far in the air these were, or how many yards after the catch, but..

game 1, 1 catch, 43 yards
game 2, 2 catches 11,19 yards
game 3, 1 catch, 53 yards
game 4, 1 catch 64 yards

Obviously there are 5 other guys at receiver ahead of him on the depth chart at receiver, but he's by far faster than any of them.
He isnt faster than Price. IIRC one of those was a deep pass and 2 others were catch and runs.
Regardless, the original suggestion was that we would be using Slater as our deep threat. I think its safe to say thats quite a stretch. Arguing over whether he caught 1 or 2 long passes against guys who were cut today isnt really pertinent. We know the one that just happened in game 4 was a crossing route with run after the catch, not a fly.

I said this in the cut thread, but to reiterate Reiss brought up a great point about the 3rd TE. Why keep a blocking TE now when you can have one later. Yeatman, Smith, and Crumpler all provide the same value and it's a very good chance that one of the 3 will be available during the season. Keeping in mind Crumpler has been sitting on his couch the past month.

I actually heard he bought a Bowflex and a Nordic Tread climber
He is also doing the Insanity program (it is max-interval training) from beachbody.com so he can stay in tip top shape.:p

where did you get your info from?:confused:

Reiss brought up a GREAT point about the 3rd TE spot. If it does come down to needing another TE in the future they'll have 3 players to choose from between Yeatman, Smith, and Crumpler. This had to be in BB's head when making the cuts. Even if Yeatman and Smith get picked up, Crumpler has been sitting on his couch for the past month and is not going anywhere.

Ctpatsfan77 made a good point by suggesting using Solder as the third TE and here's another one that wasn't mentioned- Steve Maneri who actually was a TE in college. Still I'm thinking Crumpler now.

:confused: Taylor Price is definitely faster than Slater.

Maybe "by far" was a bit of an overstatement, compared to Price anyways. I was thinking back to the last catch Slater made in the last game. In my head, he became "Fastest Man In The World". It's gotta be close with Price, I don't know how you can say one way or another without seeing them actually race side by side.

OBerger to IR?......... Did I miss something? I don't recall him getting injured.

Perhaps a D-linemen stepped on his foot as he was waiving him by during the Giants game, but I didn't see it.

This is actually a serious post btw.

"Learning the offense" suggests he doesnt know the plays. I dont think thats the case.
He can know everything there is to know, but need reps to be comfortable with what he is seeing.
I really think he is already fine, and the lack of preseason passes to him is being overblown.

By his own admission that is not the case. I believe he assessed himself as about 70% functional at this stage. That level of expertise can get someone killed here... He's on a steep learning curve complicated by the lockout, the fact that our terminology is totally different from the numerical system he played for a decade in, and the read and react system we employ is light years different from any scheme he's ever operated in. I think he's trying, I think he will get it and be done overthinking it after the bye but before then it could get a little ugly and if it just doesn't gel it could get really ugly unless he's a lot thicker skinned than he's sometimes appeared to be in the past...

He isnt faster than Price. IIRC one of those was a deep pass and 2 others were catch and runs.
Regardless, the original suggestion was that we would be using Slater as our deep threat. I think its safe to say thats quite a stretch. Arguing over whether he caught 1 or 2 long passes against guys who were cut today isnt really pertinent. We know the one that just happened in game 4 was a crossing route with run after the catch, not a fly.

Well said. I'm just happy the kid came to play. Despite all the hooplah surrounding the new kickoff rules many felt his job was in jeapordy. I would say he had a fantastic preseason and stepped up when he needed to most. Says alot about his character and standing with BB.

I said this in the cut thread, but to reiterate Reiss brought up a great point about the 3rd TE. Why keep a blocking TE now when you can have one later. Yeatman, Smith, and Crumpler all provide the same value and it's a very good chance that one of the 3 will be available during the season. Keeping in mind Crumpler has been sitting on his couch the past month.

I be willing to bet that Alge hasn't been exactly sitting on his couch. Looks more and more like BB told him to "wait by the phone".

OBerger to IR?......... Did I miss something? I don't recall him getting injured.

Perhaps a D-linemen stepped on his foot as he was waiving him by during the Giants game, but I didn't see it.

Idk how he was hurt or what he hurt. Perhaps his pride?
We'll pick someone up, and have them ready before they are needed. Apparently Wendell is OK, so its an inactive spot anyway.

Bring Crump back please!

Gave BB more plays to evaluate C. Butler,Smith and Yeatman with......in the end, one wll be on the PS ...that's my guess anywho ;)

Alge or another veteran will be sgned soon.......:rocker:

Well said. I'm just happy the kid came to play. Despite all the hooplah surrounding the new kickoff rules many felt his job was in jeapordy. I would say he had a fantastic preseason and stepped up when he needed to most. Says alot about his character and standing with BB.
I think he was always a lock. Playing WR or S is just a way to get a backup role out of a starting s/ter who is an allpro special teamer IMO.

By his own admission that is not the case. I believe he assessed himself as about 70% functional at this stage. That level of expertise can get someone killed here... He's on a steep learning curve complicated by the lockout, the fact that our terminology is totally different from the numerical system he played for a decade in, and the read and react system we employ is light years different from any scheme he's ever operated in. I think he's trying, I think he will get it and be done overthinking it after the bye but before then it could get a little ugly and if it just doesn't gel it could get really ugly unless he's a lot thicker skinned than he's sometimes appeared to be in the past...
Is there a link to this report? Sounds like a good read.

Someone reported he had a head injury in the Giants game, possibly a concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe