PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An unresolved question re: kickoff call(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone explain why on the "2-against-1" offsetting fouls, the Broncos got to rekick (and the Pats ended up losing 20+ yards on the redo versus the old position), while on the "1-against-1" fouls, there was no redo?

[And at least the Pats fans knew B*LLSH*T when they saw it on that one. . . .]

Because that's the rule (apparently). It sucks and worked out bad for us (as most calls did last night). However great teams can overcome things like this---and right now we are not a great team!

Last edited:
mtbykr said:
Because that's the rule (apparently).

Well, what is the rule, then?

ctpatsfan77 said:
Can someone explain why on the "2-against-1" offsetting fouls, the Broncos got to rekick (and the Pats ended up losing 20+ yards on the redo versus the old position), while on the "1-against-1" fouls, there was no redo?

[And at least the Pats fans knew B*LLSH*T when they saw it on that one. . . .]

I agree. I was caught off guard by that one - especially considering one of the fouls was a 15 yard face mask (unnecessary roughness). No good explanation has been given IMO. Madden and Michaels simply said that offsetting penalties do not have to be equal. By that equation, Denver could have grabbed Faulk's face-mask, kicked him in the nuts, and spit on him and it would still have been a re-kick on that punt.

Murphys95 said:
I agree. I was caught off guard by that one - especially considering one of the fouls was a 15 yard face mask (unnecessary roughness). No good explanation has been given IMO. Madden and Michaels simply said that offsetting penalties do not have to be equal. By that equation, Denver could have grabbed Faulk's face-mask, kicked him in the nuts, and spit on him and it would still have been a re-kick on that punt.

I understand that--but why wasn't Denver forced to do their kick over when there were offsetting penalties? [Especially since the 2 penalties were on Denver, not NE. . . .]

ctpatsfan77 said:
I understand that--but why wasn't Denver forced to do their kick over when there were offsetting penalties? [Especially since the 2 penalties were on Denver, not NE. . . .]
I'm with you. The second that happened, I began wondering why the second call was different from the first. Still wondering. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes