PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An undefeated season seemingly ended 3 times tonight, initial reactions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It reminded me of the old days of 01, 03, and 04. "IT" was riding with us last night, like it was during the SB years. It ain't over till its over. :rocker:

When the broadcast crew started up at the beginning of the game, I was ready. Once Kornholio's desire for the Patriots to lose this game for historic purposes on the last ESPN Patriots' broadcast of the season became palpable, I started playing Joe Bonamassa ( Blues Deluxe CD loud!!!) in place of the geeks on ESPN. At the beginning of the 3rd quarter when Shula came on to provide "unadulterated objectivity" through the eyes of an obsessed coach trying to will his importance into today's game, I came to the conclusion that Bonamassa is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard (saw him live in Baltimore two weeks ago), and the Patriots were not going to lose this game.

As a result, I was more in tune with this game than any previously close game like the Eagles, Colts, or Dallas. Hey, cosmic shyte happens! But the best barometer was my son returning from attending the game with the observation that in the last 7:00 minutes, it appeared that the Ravens became scared and tight. He said it was visibly obvious, as they imploded with foolish penalties, missed assignments, and the inability to play for the full sixty minutes.

Guess they blew it in the face of a team perceived to be superior . . .

and that's all it took to give up the lead and the game.

Funny how that happens with the Patriots.

This game has to rank up there with one of if not the most nail biting Pats wins ever.

Oh geez. I was swearing at Faulk for a full minute after he didn't reach out for a first down.

And zero mention of it. I mean its good to get OoB, but read forward just a little bit...

Some random thoughts:

Probably the most entertaining football game I've seen since the '04 SB. My heart was racing, I was wired, I had a hard time watching at some points but refused to give up.

The win was sweeter than the blow outs because it was uncertain until there was :00 on the clock.

The self-destruction of the Ravens was fascinating to watch, almost like a car wreck.

The Ravens girlish whining afterwards just made the victory that much sweeter.

The announcing was just stupid. Kornheiser makes me long for the Dennis Miller days.

I'm sort of conditioned never to assume an NFL play will stand. After every key play I'm looking for a flag or some ref running in. The calls last night came in quick and the TV crew did a decent enough job where I just never had enough time to think it was finally over.

In fact, on that time out I was still pacing back and forth saying "why the hell didn't Faulk dive for the first down?!?!?"

I totally agree with this, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Every time there's a big gain, touchdown or huge kickoff/punt return, I find myself waiting 5 or 10 seconds to start celebrating to make sure there's no flags negating the whole thing. (But maybe that just makes me too much of a worrier)

Last edited:
Forget about the 4th downs. How about that ball being tipped 30 feet in the air & not getting picked? :eek:

Forget about the 4th downs. How about that ball being tipped 30 feet in the air & not getting picked? :eek:

People at work were asking me if I ever thought the game was in doubt, and it never was to me EXCEPT for the 3 seconds that ball was in the air.

I thought for sure it was gonna get picked and game over for about 3 seconds. Once it hit the ground I knew we'd win.

Longest freefall for a ball.. ever. Seriously, I think every Pats fans felt like it was slow-mo.

... So my question is, how did you guys react to each apparently game ending fourth down? Not after the fact you knew we'd get a shot, but while still thinking the game was then over.
Well, it all happened so quickly each time, barely had a chance to gasp. It's not like we had a few minutes to ponder love and life after losing a chance at immortality each of those times.

So in essense, you can add the-Ravens-catching-the-ball-at-the-three-on-the-final-play-of-the-game, because for a similarly fleeting moment I feared the receiver would twist and plunge into the endzone, but it didn't happen.

My minute(s) of sheer agony was the review of Gaffney's game winning catch. I was certain the play was going to be overturned (a debate for another thread), and that the chance for an undefeated season was over. I was dying waiting for the decision.

Despite my optimism going into the game, when Baltimore took the 7-3 lead I felt very strongly that it might not be NE's night.

But for some reason when the got the ball at the 27 needing to get to 27 points I knew they were going to pull it out. Sure I wasn't in a state of meditative relaxation during the drive, but I was far more relaxed than I had been at any other point in the game, sans NE's opening drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News