PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amazon snags streaming rights to Thursday night NFL games

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Amazon has been amazingly innovative, especially in the last five years. This is not a good business move unless they have some sort of insider info with the NFL about making Thursday night games more marquee match-ups. Short of that, they're unwatchable and Amazon is going to be surprised about the amount of people who are not willing to stream those games. That said, $50M is a drop in the bucket for that company so there's very low risk involved.

How did Twitter even get it last year? Don't they make no profit?

I have Amazon prime, so I probably would throw on the game on a Thursday night. Don't have cable or the twitter

Amazon has been amazingly innovative, especially in the last five years. This is not a good business move unless they have some sort of insider info with the NFL about making Thursday night games more marquee match-ups.
I wonder if they were told a Patriots game would be in the mix ?

I hope they offer a special Prime price soon to celebrate this.
My Prime has expired, but I will sign up again.

I'd pay Amazon if they would replace DTV for out-of-market games. Hubby says no to both RCN(cable) and DTV.

I wonder if they were told a Patriots game would be in the mix ?

I hope they offer a special Prime price soon to celebrate this.
My Prime has expired, but I will sign up again.

They'd need more than the Patriots just being in the mix to make that a prudent investment. I understand there are a lot of cable cutters out there, but I doubt a significant portion of that market are going to tune in for the garbage Thursday night games. At least not on a weekly basis. But, like I said, a $50M investment isn't exactly breaking the bank for Amazon.

watched the Pats V Houston game on twitter last year. They literally streamed the same Twitter ad over and over during commercials. very annoying

I'm out of date regarding all the innovative services Amazon is providing, for me is still a online book store, and I should be ashamed of that because as an IT guy they have some cloud services that seems to be the market standard going on for years now.

Well, back to football, that doesn't make any difference for me as I still sign the gamepass and get all prime time games and some more on Sundays in the ESPN subsidiary here.

That said, I kinda like the product Thursday Night Football, but there's got to be some urgent improvements, last year it was unwatchable on all levels, it was almost like coaches and players were sabotaging the product. They need to make schedule improvements giving extra rest to teams before or after the game, maybe not having games all ****ing thursdays, maybe like 12 games so they can accommodate better the schedule and logistics for teams to travel on a short week. But they ****ing need to improve the matchups and that's were 17 games the math doesn't add up.

I don't wanna see:
Browns x Ravens
Jaguars x Titans
Steelers x Ravens
Bengals x Browns
Rams x 49ers
Rams x Seattle
Kansas City Games at all
Tampa Bay Games at all
Rams Games at all
and some more.

Of course all of that on the current context of rosters/coaching. Things can change but the games above have been stinkers for years.

Seriously, I can see the beauty on a low scoring physical game, but at least on Thursdays give me some high scoring games or I'll look for some other things to do.

I'm out of date regarding all the innovative services Amazon is providing, for me is still a online book store, and I should be ashamed of that because as an IT guy they have some cloud services that seems to be the market standard going on for years now.

Well, back to football, that doesn't make any difference for me as I still sign the gamepass and get all prime time games and some more on Sundays in the ESPN subsidiary here.

That said, I kinda like the product Thursday Night Football, but there's got to be some urgent improvements, last year it was unwatchable on all levels, it was almost like coaches and players were sabotaging the product. They need to make schedule improvements giving extra rest to teams before or after the game, maybe not having games all ****ing thursdays, maybe like 12 games so they can accommodate better the schedule and logistics for teams to travel on a short week. But they ****ing need to improve the matchups and that's were 17 games the math doesn't add up.

I don't wanna see:
Browns x Ravens
Jaguars x Titans
Steelers x Ravens
Bengals x Browns
Rams x 49ers
Rams x Seattle
Kansas City Games at all
Tampa Bay Games at all
Rams Games at all
and some more.

Of course all of that on the current context of rosters/coaching. Things can change but the games above have been stinkers for years.

Seriously, I can see the beauty on a low scoring physical game, but at least on Thursdays give me some high scoring games or I'll look for some other things to do.
They have their hands in everything now. From books to other items to music, TV, movies, and now they're opening their own grocery stores around the U.S. where Prime members can walk in with their phone in their pocket, grab stuff on the shelves, and walk out between two scanners that scan all the items they have in the basket and charge it automatically to their Prime accounts. They've been one of the more entrepreneurial companies in the world over the last decade as they've re-tooled their business models. They're an excellent case study for aspiring business men and I learned a lot about them in business school.

I thought all teams had to have at least one Thurs night game???

That's something that needs to change, otherwise you can't avoid the stinkers.

The TNF is at a stage where one stinker burn 2 or 3 good games in terms of long term sustainability.

No one (other than their fan bases) wants to see the ****ing Browns, Jaguars, Rams, or a bad Bears team (last year they had what, 3 Monday Nights and 2 Sunday Nights I think, and I remember one TNF against the Packers too, that was kind of a good game).

Actually that is valid to Sunday and Monday Nights as well, but of course kind of impossible right now, one prime time they will have to give up but seriously teams should start to be accounted for their bad performance and incompetence, those teams have been drafting in the top of the draft for years and don't make the jump. NO PRIME TIME FOR YOU FELLAS.

They'd need more than the Patriots just being in the mix to make that a prudent investment. I understand there are a lot of cable cutters out there, but I doubt a significant portion of that market are going to tune in for the garbage Thursday night games. At least not on a weekly basis. But, like I said, a $50M investment isn't exactly breaking the bank for Amazon.
It's called a loss leader

It's called a loss leader

Yep. That's what I'm thinking as well. It will be interesting to see how many sales they get for their other products due to the customers that were attracted to Amazon just because of this.

I hope Bezos enjoys that scintillating Jacksonville / Tennessee Thursday night tilt in October....

TNF could be such an easy fix if the NFL wasn't a bunch of corrupt lying pricks, droning on about player safety and integrity.

Add 1 week to the schedule, every team gets 2 bye weeks. Schedule Thursday game around one of them so teams get adequate rest. Also don't schedule the ****tiest matchup of the week for Thursday... problem fixed.

I just hate night games in general. Who wants to stay up until 11:30 watching football? Who wants to go to the game on a Thursday night? Have to take a day and a half off of work.....fight through rush hour traffic....sucks arse

I know lots of football fans fans. I don't know anybody that has any interest in watching unless their team is playing. Most of them would rather have a root canal. At least 12 Thursday night games a year are absolute trash.

I don't understand all the complaining about the Thursday Night Football matchups. If you don't like 'em, don't watch 'em. I know I sure didn't consider it "must see TV" for most of the season.

Keep things the way they are. There is a legit shortage of marquee matchups on any given weekend. I'd rather they saved the good games for late Sunday afternoon or SNF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents