PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fox to Broadcast Thursday Night Football and NFL Draft for Next Five Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. It is the Whatever keeps more eyeballs on the games doctrine. More teams in the playoffs means a higher chance of meaningful games late in the regular season.. also increases the chances of the big markets to make it..

No matter how your personal feelings towards all of this is it really feels inevitable..

It's not as inevitable as my leaving the NYFL behind.

It's not as inevitable as my leaving the NYFL behind.

Sounds like what many people are saying.. It is not directed at you so dont take it personally but I wonder how many will actually follow through with it..

• Agree
Reactions: jah
the players get 47% of all revenues, so getting rid of TNF means $52m/year less for them. maybe the NFLPA could negotiate to get a larger share of TNF revenues, but getting rid of it altogether? i don't see it.
By my calculations, it raises the salary cap by roughly $1 million per team per year. They should demand a large concession because getting rid of it just won’t have a huge impact for them.

Sure. It is the Whatever keeps more eyeballs on the games doctrine. More teams in the playoffs means a higher chance of meaningful games late in the regular season..
6-8 teams shouldn’t be playing meaningful games in late December

6-8 teams shouldn’t be playing meaningful games in late December

What is the point of the regular season if half the league goes into the playoffs anyway ? Especially when it seems like a third of the teams is just flat awful or tanking.

Just in case there was anyone left here who doesn't view the league with the most cynical of eyes now we get this gem. With more players each year declining to be free reality TV performers for them the league is going to bring the HS coaches of draft invitees to the draft as 'guests.'

NFL sweetens the pot for draft invitees, a little

So, does this mean Rodney Harrison is out of a gig?
the players get 47% of all revenues, so getting rid of TNF means $52m/year less for them. maybe the NFLPA could negotiate to get a larger share of TNF revenues, but getting rid of it altogether? i don't see it.
That's the target, but it only gets reached if all the teams spent to the cap, which has never happened.

Sounds like what many people are saying.. It is not directed at you so dont take it personally but I wonder how many will actually follow through with it..

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been patiently waiting for Brady to end his career so I can dump the NYFL. He's not cooperating though. :)

Literally every network was bidding millions for Thursday Night. It's not going away.

For myself and everyone I know except my octogenarian inlaws, football is the only programming left on network TV. Maybe award shows, parades and political debates/speeches. Network has to die.

By my calculations, it raises the salary cap by roughly $1 million per team per year. They should demand a large concession because getting rid of it just won’t have a huge impact for them.
well, $52m/32 teams is about $1.6m of extra spending per team. it doesn't seem like a lot for the guys at the top end of the roster, but for the guys at the bottom end making the minimum (for 2018, that ranges from ~$480k - $1.015m per year depending on a player's credited seasons), that can be a decent boost in pay. you could pay 16 players an extra $100k/year, or a few players $500k+ more a year. that amount is nothing to tom brady, but it's meaningful to a minimum salary player.

well, $52m/32 teams is about $1.6m of extra spending per team. it doesn't seem like a lot for the guys at the top end of the roster, but for the guys at the bottom end making the minimum (for 2018, that ranges from ~$480k - $1.015m per year depending on a player's credited seasons), that can be a decent boost in pay. you could pay 16 players an extra $100k/year, or a few players $500k+ more a year. that amount is nothing to tom brady, but it's meaningful to a minimum salary player.
Except in the real world it doesn’t remotely work like that. When the cap goes up, they don’t say “hey let’s give the bottom 16 guys and extra hundred thousand each!!” Cap increases get spread out the same way the overall cap does: in an extremely top-heavy manner.

Except in the real world it doesn’t remotely work like that. When the cap goes up, they don’t say “hey let’s give the bottom 16 guys and extra hundred thousand each!!” Cap increases get spread out the same way the overall cap does: in an extremely top-heavy manner.

i'm not sure one can make a definitive statement like that. some teams may choose to allocate all of that increase to the top end of the roster, whereas other teams that value depth (like the patriots) will distribute that increase to the middle or bottom end.

my example of 16 players getting $100k extra each wasn't meant to illustrate what actually happens for all teams, but to show how a player at the bottom of the roster could potentially be affected financially in a meaningful way.

That's the target, but it only gets reached if all the teams spent to the cap, which has never happened.

the 47% number is actually the Player Cost Amount, which is a calculation of the players' share of revenue. the salary cap is the PCA less projected benefits (pensions, insurance, travel expenses and per diems, post-season play, performance pay, etc.).

based on 2011 numbers, projected benefits are about 15% of the PCA, leaving 85% for the salary cap.

all teams are required to spend 89% of the salary cap (per team) or 95% of the salary cap (league-wide), whichever number is greater. at the end of each of the four-year periods from 2013-16 and 2017-20, any shortfall will be paid directly to players on the teams' rosters as directed by the NFLPA.

so players are guaranteed to get at least 89% of the salary cap on a team-wide basis, and at least 95% of the salary cap on a league-wide basis. if the 85:15 salary cap-to-benefits ratio holds, then players as a whole are contractually guaranteed to receive at a minimum 0.95 * 0.85 + 0.15 of the 47%, or about 45% of league revenues.

Let's just have every team in the playoffs. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe