PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Am I the Only Homer Who's a Little Nervous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Johnson isn't the player he once was. This shouldn't be a close game.

He had a down year last year due at least partly to his hold out. I wouldn't write him off just yet. He's 26 years old.

This is true. His YPC tells the story - in 2009, he was at 5.6, and last year he was down to 4.0. Still above average, but he doesn't rip off 40+ yard TD runs like he used to. I blame Jeff Fisher.

Yup. Fisher Eddie George'd the guy, no doubt.

He had a down year last year due at least partly to his hold out. I wouldn't write him off just yet. He's 26 years old.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he sucks. He's still effective. I just don't think he's a threat to take it to the house on every carry like he used to be.

im not Nervous at all its the first game of the season i am excited and i would love to see the pats win 17 to 14 cause that would mean the defense is geting better

59-0 would mean the same thing. And be much less stressful.

If the Patriots can contain Johnson, this should be a blowout win.
Which will be a big test if the micro DL we played in the preseason is out there.

His character needs to be added to such an equation. The guy is dumb as bricks and arrogant as hell. I don't believe he has the work ethic to ever become a 1,500+ yard back again.

Which will be a big test if the micro DL we played in the preseason is out there.

The one thing I felt was consistently good this preseason was the Patriots run defense. Whether that translates into the regular season remains to be seen, but I saw some good signs that this line can handle a good running game.

I always get reasonably nervous before any game, let alone the first game of the season..

OTOH I have a lot of faith in the Patriots Brain Trust, and the team that they field will win between 12-13 games..

Here's my feeling: I'm pretty confident the Pats will take this one, and by a good margin. That doesn't mean I'm not nervous in a normal before-a-game way. That's part of the excitement.

Beyond winning Sunday, I'm looking to compare the team on the field vs the one that played the pre-season games. Let me 'splain:

I, like a lot folks, was thinking great season, maybe 19-0, as camp opened. Now, I didn't see anything in pre-season that made me reverse that feeling. OTOH, I didn't see anything that confirmed it either. I didn't see signs of a big Brady-Lloyd connection (and I know you can say the same thing about Brady-Moss in '07 pre-season). The swarm of quality and old reliable receivers turned out to be not so much. The O-line ... hmmm. I'm very psyched to see the defense and all that new blood; I loved what I saw out of Chandler Jones in the first game and wonder if his relative invisibility after that was a matter of giving others a chance, or something else. I want to see Hightower make some noise.

Big picture is that all the key pieces of an historic offense are back (minus Waters, but plus McDaniels) and the defense that managed to make it to the Super Bowl looks greatly improved. So I am very optimistic. I just feel like I want to see some more signs of this being an elite team Sunday than I have in limited exposure so far.

Hope this makes sense!

The Titans are in the second tier of teams the Pats will play this year and playing in Tennesee could present issues. First game of the year is always a little different. It seems like every now and then a weaker team can start the season off playing above its head and it takes a few weeks for things to shake out.

Given this I would prefer the team to play a stronger opponent in the first week and playing the Titans now is not a bad thing. This season's schedule really does seem to lay out pretty well:

Texans, 49ers and Ravens - Pats should be the better team but each of those teams will be good. Pats will need "A" game to win.

Titans, Seahawks, Bills, NY, Denver - Pats need solid game to win - (Denver included out of respect for Manning; Seahawks because of cross country trip; Jets will treat Pats game as the Superbowl because that team is not that good and should have little chance to make the real one; Ditto Bills)

Indy, Jacksonville, Miami, Arizona, St Loius - Pats should win if they don't screw up to badly, but in any given week...

To be nervous is why I watch the game. Don't we all?

Not wild about the matchup. The Titans have a front that is a poor man's Giants. It's a slow field. I'm afraid of a 17-14 type game. Anyone?
I am very nervous. I have never liked opening up on the road against a team that most of the experts believe you should defeat. We are, I believe, a 6 1/2 point favorite.

There are, usually, a lot of upsets on opening day in stadium that have a loud contingent of fans and are really up for picking off a supposed better team.

It is very, very important, IMO, that the Pats come out with all barrels firing, not a conservative "try to establish the run" game and attack the Titans with what they should be doing, the passing game... and, IMO, stay the hell out of the shotgun because it telegraphs and makes it easier for the opposing defense. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT hand off the football from the shotgun. It will fail.

Yes, I am nervous, in fact I went to the "mood" button here, before I saw your post, and was looking for a "nervous" button and there wasn't one, so I used "worried" instead.

I am very nervous. I have never liked opening up on the road against a team that most of the experts believe you should defeat. We are, I believe, a 6 1/2 point favorite.

There are, usually, a lot of upsets on opening day in stadium that have a loud contingent of fans and are really up for picking off a supposed better team.

It is very, very important, IMO, that the Pats come out with all barrels firing, not a conservative "try to establish the run" game and attack the Titans with what they should be doing, the passing game... and, IMO, stay the hell out of the shotgun because it telegraphs and makes it easier for the opposing defense. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT hand off the football from the shotgun. It will fail.

Yes, I am nervous, in fact I went to the "mood" button here, before I saw your post, and was looking for a "nervous" button and there wasn't one, so I used "worried" instead.

If establishing a run game means they start practicing gap integrity instead of blowing through the OL every chance they get and attacking Brady then I'm all for it.

Whatever it takes to win is what I want to see happen on Sunday.

With a revamped offensive line,the average fan should be nervous.

I think one of two things will happen.....Brady will get mauled and the Titans get some turnovers to win a close game,or Brady will escape without a scratch and the Pats win handily.

I don't understand. If you don't like the shotgun because it telegraphs the pass, why wouldn't that open up the run?

I am always nervous on opening day of game...but usually the better teams win..and the pats are the better team...by far

With a revamped offensive line,the average fan should be nervous.

I think one of two things will happen.....Brady will get mauled and the Titans get some turnovers to win a close game,or Brady will escape without a scratch and the Pats win handily.

Not exactly comforting . . .

Not exactly comforting . . .

I am with you QB12.

I am much more concerned about it for several reasons:

--lack of chemistry to this current point in the offense

--some concern with the offensive line talent/depth

--Wimbley + the rest of the front 7 have looked good this preseason, and will likely pose a challenge

--opening day is different, not to mention it being on the road

The spread is down to 6 right now, and I am envisioning a game right around that area. If we played them later in the year I would probably feel a little bit differently.

Think we'll beat them but probably one of those games that for a third of the time seems to be in doubt.

Hoping for a Branch and Waters announcement by 8 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back