PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alvin "Bud" Dupree Scouting Report

I'll stick with Ziggy Ansah. Ansah measured 6' 5 1/8" 271# at the Combine. Dupree is supposedly 6'4" 267# (I'll be curious to see if that holds up). Add in 4.5-4.6 40 time (Ansah was timed at 4.56) and a 40" VJ, and I think Dupree could be a 3 down lineman with multiple position versatility. I thought it was very interesting that Mark Stoops thought that Dupree could play 3-4 DE.

I think Dupree will end up shorter. He just doesn't look as long as Ansah.

I think Dupree will end up shorter. He just doesn't look as long as Ansah.

It will be interesting to see how Dupree measures. Remember Hightower being listed as 6'4" prior to the Combine? If he's truly 6'4" 267#, I think it makes him very, very interesting. We'll see.

Arm length on these defensive end prospects?

Those numbers are hard to come by until they go to an all star game or the combine.

True. But, FWIW, Rob Rang did have this to say:

The 6-foot-4, 267 pound Dupree is NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated senior defensive endand made his debut on my personal Big Board last week. Boasting long arms, a quick burst and the agility to evade cut-blocks, Dupree (pronounced Doo-prey) projects well as traditional 4-3 defensive end or in the stand-up outside linebacker role he currently stars for the Wildcats.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rio-of-nfl-hopefuls-help-uk-push-no-1-miss-st

More important to me was this observation from Rang:

Dupree, who entered the game as the SEC's reigning sacks leader with 19 career QB takedowns, was often asked to drop into coverage or flatten out his rushes in an attempt to keep Prescott from scrambling. The alignment robbed him of opportunities to rush upfield and build upon his impressive resume but helped the Wildcats apply some big hits to Prescott. Though he didn't have the opportunities to rush often, Dupree showed an explosive burst to close when he did, teaming with Smith to supply a vicious high-low hit on Prescott late in the second quarter that resulted in a wobbly thrown interception.

That kind of versatility is very, very appealing.

If Dupree blows it up at the NFL Draft Combine, it would not surprise me if Dupree is drafted in the top half of the first round. If not, I doubt he makes it past either the Bengals or Seahawks.

My hope is that he makes it to within trade up range.

Kentucky HC Mark Stoops on Dupree:

On if he puts Bud Dupree in a class with some of the best defensive ends he's coached: "Yeah, I just left Florida State and we had quite a few guys there, Bjorn (Werner) and Tank (Carradine) and Brandon Jenkins and a lot of good players, and of course going back to even some guys at Arizona we had and way back to Miami, I put Bud up there with some of the best I've been around and ever had the pleasure to coach or be on their team. I think he is just – if we were just doing what we did at Florida State and he was just putting his hand in the dirt and rushing every snap, his numbers would be through the roof. We are doing an awful lot with him right now because he is versatile.

"He drops about half the time. He rushes about half the time. So his production as far as sacks and tackles for loss aren't as high as they would be if we were just playing four down all the time. And I think that will help him at the next level. I think he's very versatile.
I think he'll be and outside backer. Really, he can do whatever they want him to do at the next level. I really believe that. I think that's why he'll be a high pick. And, just very proud of Bud. He's a pleasure to work with, he always works hard, he has a great attitude, he's talented and he picks things up very well. So, I wish I had a bunch more like him."

http://www.courier-journal.com/sports/

I am hoping for some free time to check out his games from the past couple of weeks to see him dropping into coverage. So many players, so little time.....

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back