PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alrerraun Verner: Pats are a "definite possibilty" & Jason McCourty told him to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alrerraun Verner: Pats are a "definite possibilty" & Jason McCourty told him to g

I was a math major at UCLA once, long before this guy was born. :)

Seriously, kudos to him for completing his math major at a pretty good school!!

Re: Alrerraun Verner: Pats are a "definite possibilty" & Jason McCourty told him to g

Verner for $7m a year? Yes please!

I find the following quote the most interesting, and based on it, lead me to believe he is definitely a possibility:

"I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn’t one of the highest-paid players on the team.”

Alterraun Verner expects to sign quickly, calls Patriots a ?possibility? | ProFootballTalk

In other words, I'd like to be on a team that has a lot of good players, not a handful of good ones stacked at the top.

For Talib is interesting to get a deal done ASAP otherwise his stock market will decrease day by day as many people will start to question his ability to stay healthy and how/why BB didn't sign him yet...

So If they didn't reach a deal yet, I think Talib will get the first offer on the table. I think BB already moved on from him in the last AFC game, although it was not his fault, he got assaulted by that punk welker.

Good chunk of money to spend on the position but how about both Verner and Talib? Then chose from Dennard and Ryan and team one with McCourty at safety.

all of the mid level to good CB's are getting 7 million plus, the way I see it if the pats don't sign Talib they wont sign any other CB in that price range

A team that starts two 5'10 CBs is asking for it in today's NFL.

I just don't see Verner as that good a fit for the Pats. He's not a great press-man CB, and he lacks the size to be a true #1 CB. He's very good in a zone scheme, but I don't really want to run that, personally. I'd rather have Talib, and get a solid backup so that we don't throw everything out when he gets dinged up.

But I'm hoping this does put some pressure on Talib to think about the Pats' offer. That window may be closing.

For Talib is interesting to get a deal done ASAP otherwise his stock market will decrease day by day as many people will start to question his ability to stay healthy and how/why BB didn't sign him yet...

So If they didn't reach a deal yet, I think Talib will get the first offer on the table. I think BB already moved on from him in the last AFC game, although it was not his fault, he got assaulted by that punk welker.

As much as I'd like for that to be true, I think the opposite is likely to happen. Last year, we saw the market for players soften as free agency progressed, and that was mostly because of the flat cap. There were more players looking to get paid than there were teams with the cap space and need to pay them. That's why guys like Talib took their one-year deals. When there are more players looking for a deal than deals available, each deal signed tips the ratio further in favor of the teams.

They took those deals so that they could be on the market again for an offseason like this one. Thanks to the larger-than-expected cap increase, we now have a bunch of teams with money burning a hole in their pockets, compared to the number of players worth spending on. This means that the opposite effect should be observed as signings happen: each contract tips the ratio of players available versus team contract needs further in favor of the players.

In short, every time another corner signs, it creates more competition among the teams that are left with a need at corner for the fewer and fewer corners left. At that point, it's guaranteed that whoever's left will be overpaid.

Good chunk of money to spend on the position but how about both Verner and Talib? Then chose from Dennard and Ryan and team one with McCourty at safety.

I'd rather go Verner, Browner on a one year deal, Dennard to the nickel, and draft a bigger SS with movement (Bucannon, Exum, McGill, etc.). You've improved the size, physicality, speed, and durability of the back end of the defense in one offseason with players who all compliment one another perfectly.

A team that starts two 5'10 CBs is asking for it in today's NFL.

And signing an injury prone 6'1 CB to a $9-$10+ million dollar a year deal is asking for it too.

I'd rather go Verner, Browner on a one year deal, Dennard to the nickel, and draft a bigger SS with movement (Bucannon, Exum, McGill, etc.). You've improved the size, physicality, speed, and durability of the back end of the defense in one offseason with players who all compliment one another perfectly.

Yes. This.

Only thing is Bill wouldn't do it because it would mean his $3.6 million cap hit for the year CB would be the 4th or 5th CB.

I just don't see Verner as that good a fit for the Pats. He's not a great press-man CB, and he lacks the size to be a true #1 CB. He's very good in a zone scheme, but I don't really want to run that, personally. I'd rather have Talib, and get a solid backup so that we don't throw everything out when he gets dinged up.

But I'm hoping this does put some pressure on Talib to think about the Pats' offer. That window may be closing.

I agree. I think Verner will get 7 million and I think the pats can get Talib for 8 or 8.5 I don't think its worth letting Talib go to save 1.5 million on a guy that is not any better then Ryan or Dennard

And signing an injury prone 6'1 CB to a $9-$10+ million dollar a year deal is asking for it too.

Agreed. The most I would go for Talib is 9 million a season. I'd rather Browner at 3-4 million a year than Verner at 7. He fits our scheme better and he has the size as well.

My main FA secondary rooting interest at the moment is Browner + Whitner.

Yes. This.

But the only thing is Bill wouldn't do it because it would mean his $3.6 million cap hit for the year CB would be the 4th or 5th CB.

He needs to just admit his mistake on that atrocious contract and suck it up. The secondary will be all the better for it.

He needs to just admit his mistake on that atrocious contract and suck it up. The secondary will be all the better for it.

Ya he really does.

Verner-Browner-Dennard-Arrington-Ryan would be one of the better CB corps in Belichick's tenure.

Add that with one of the best FS in the league and pair him with someone like Exum and having two LB that can adequately drop back in Mayo and Collins and the pass defense would be top 10/top 5 in the league

Brady's window is closing, gotta do something and it's gotta be on defense.

Plus this

welker-original-10-14-12.gif

Ya he really does.

Verner-Browner-Dennard-Arrington-Ryan would be one of the better CB corps in Belichick's tenure.

Add that with one of the best FS in the league and pair him with someone like Exum and having two LB's that can adequately drop back in Mayo and Collins and the pass defense would be top 10/top 5 in the league

Brady's window is closing, gotta do something and it's gotta be on defense.

Plus this

welker-original-10-14-12.gif

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Those kinds of hits change the tone of games. Don't believe me? Ask Demaryius Thomas.

Agreed. The most I would go for Talib is 9 million a season. I'd rather Browner at 3-4 million a year than Verner at 7. He fits our scheme better and he has the size as well.

My main FA secondary rooting interest at the moment is Browner + Whitner.

Give me Browner and Ward. Whitner is eh...

Not to mention Verner is just really overrated in general. He's going to be overpaid big-time, hopefully not by us.

Give me Browner and Ward. Whitner is eh...

If we got Browner and Ward, I would be making the same face that Commodus is making in my avatar every single game when they begin destroying people in the defensive backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes