PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Cole: Pats and Revis working on Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is probably more than enough to get McCourty re-signed.

I look at 4-6 moves that could free up $19m-$31m
$10m-$15m giving Revis an extension
$6.5m Mankins or Wilfork ($13m for both)
$1.4m Amendola
$1m Hoomanawanui
$690k Wendell

Not to mention "Gansta Paradise" $7.5m, Gregory $800k, Sopaga $1m, A-Wilson $660k coming off the book. That is a good $10m free cap.

Darrelle Revis, Pats haven't begun negotiations yet, but here's how it might look when they do | Boston Herald

Therefore, it’s easier and more practical to decline the bonus and save $20 million against the cap ($25 million cap hit minus $5 million in dead money from the prorated signing bonus) and work on a new deal from there. The franchise tag won’t be an option because the Patriots would be releasing Revis from his deal.

Let’s assume Revis continues to ascend after shoving the torn ACL into the distant past and reenters the discussion as the best cornerback in the NFL. He’ll want to be compensated like it, and he’ll have the benefit of entering the open market. Yes, that means the Pats will have competition, but Revis chose them over the rest of the league five months ago. They should feel confident they can persuade him to do the same again, so long as there’s a serious offer on the table.

Since Revis signed, though, the league’s top trio of young cornerbacks -- Richard Sherman (26 years old), Joe Haden (25), and Patrick Peterson (24) -- all signed long-term extensions with their teams. Because of their ages, Sherman, Haden and Peterson will almost certainly wind up with longer deals with more total cash than Revis, who turns 30 prior to the 2015 regular season.

But Revis will measure himself by his APY (average per year) value, which is a common measuring stick among players. Sherman initially signed for $14 million APY in new money. Six days later, Haden nearly approached him with $13.5 million APY. Last week, Peterson signed for $14.01 million APY, which was clearly no coincidence.

Based on those numbers, it’s fair to estimate Revis would want a minimum of $45 million over three years (2015-17). If the Patriots gave him a $12 million signing bonus in a three-year, $45 million contract, a contract guru formulated a deal that would call for cap hits of $8 million in 2015, $22.5 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017.​

Rather than the proposed uneven cap hits of $8,000,000 (2015), $22,500,000 (2016) and $14,500,000 (2017) listed above in Jeff Howe's column, Miguel's scenario is a bit more level, with cap numbers of $11,250,000 in 2015, and $14,750,000 in both 2016 and 2017.

Crafting a contract extension for Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots | Patriots Salary Cap | Miguel Benzan | PatsCap.com ~ PatsFans.com

Therefore, it seems reasonable to venture that a Revis extension in the $12 to $14 million per year average range would be fair for both sides and would recognize that Revis, while better than Sherman, Haden, and Peterson, is also older than the aforementioned trio. An extension will lower Revis’ 2015 $25 million cap number. Here is one example how:

Extend Revis through the 2017 season.
Give him a $14.25 million signing bonus which would be prorated over 3 years (2015/2016/2017).
Lower his salary from $7,000,000 to $1,000,000.
Eliminate the $12.5 million roster bonus.
2015 Current cap number of $25,000,000 consists of:
$7,500,000 salary
$5,000,000 signing bonus proration
$12,500,000 roster bonus paid on 4/1/2015
$500,000 46-man active roster bonus

Proposed 2015 cap number of $11,250,000 consists of:
$1,000,000 salary (fully guaranteed)
$5,000,000 existing bonus proration
$4,750,000 new signing bonus proration

Proposed 2016 cap number of $14,750,000 consists of:
$9,500,000 salary (5.25 million guaranteed for injury now; becomes fully guaranteed the 5th day after the 2016 Super Bowl)
$4,750,000 new signing bonus proration

Proposed 2017 cap number of $14,750,000 consists of:
$9,500,000 salary
$4,750,000 signing bonus proration

This deal averages 12 million per year in new money over the three extended years. That 12M APY would give Revis the 4th highest APY for a cornerback and more cash in Years 1, 2 and 3 than will Richard Sherman receive in his extension.​

- See more at: Crafting a contract extension for Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots

And why is the problem McCourty when Logan Mankin's dirty bomb of a contract is on the books?

Let's ask Miguel who has Mankins as the repeat champion, 2 YEARS IN A ROW, for the worst value contract for the New England Patriots:

Best & Worst Contracts 2014: New England Patriots

THAT is what happens when the whining fans get their way with "Cheapo Kraft, just give him what he wants!"

I think it will probably take something above Sherman's $14 million a year average to sign Revis. Trying to go lower than Sherman is probably a mistake. The Pats should be more concerned with length and protection down the road.

Ironically, the $16 million a year, year by year deal Tampa had with him wouldn't be a horrible deal for the Pats.

Darrelle Revis will want at least a $14 million APY contract, if not more.

New England Patriots unrestricted free agents for the 2015 NFL Season:

Dan Connolly
Stephen Gostkowski
Tommy Kelly
Shane Vereen
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Marcus Cannon
Patrick Chung
Danny Aiken
Chris White
D.J. Williams
James Anderson
Will Smith

No big time guys that are FAs next year...could help us keep him

Darrelle Revis will want at least a $14 million APY contract, if not more.

New England Patriots unrestricted free agents for the 2015 NFL Season:

Dan Connolly
Stephen Gostkowski
Tommy Kelly
Shane Vereen
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Marcus Cannon
Patrick Chung
Danny Aiken
Chris White
D.J. Williams
James Anderson
Will Smith

While that may appear to be an imposing number of free agents, that's actually about normal - if not below average - for an NFL team. With the vast majority of contracts ranging from one to four years, 13 free agents to be is not that many - and that's assuming everyone listed makes the 2014 club.

While that may appear to be an imposing number of free agents, that's actually about normal - if not below average - for an NFL team. With the vast majority of contracts ranging from one to four years, 13 free agents to be is not that many - and that's assuming everyone listed makes the 2014 club.

Agreed, and how many of those 13 would you really be concerned about losing, anyway?

Gostowski, Kelly and Cannon...maybe Vereen and/or Ridley.

Won't cost much. Any and all on that list can be replaced.

Ridiculous. He's one of the top safeties in the NFL AT THIS TIME. You are now bringing out mostly retired all-time greats, some from OTHER POSITIONS, to make your point??? :D :D :D

4 of those 5 players played 13+ years in the league at ONE position (Law played safety for a handful of games at the bitter end).

Revis is entering his 8th year.

McCourty has played 4 years in the NFL, and has had to learn and master a new position halfway through that time. He's made the Pro Bowl at two different positions and has 6-8 more years ahead of him.
Not sure how this happened shmessy and Ian but I never posted that response. I'm always willing to take responsibility for what I post, but that wasn't me!

Not sure how this happened shmessy and Ian but I never posted that response. I'm always willing to take responsibility for what I post, but that wasn't me!
I went back and checked and it seems that Triumph posted that, not me. Not sure how it was attributed to me. I love McCourty.

jPkUlKZ.gif

Is that dude manipulating a remote control for some sort of vibrating toy? If so, she's got a scary sex face.

Is that dude manipulating a remote control for some sort of vibrating toy? If so, she's got a scary sex face.

Maybe she had a major Ben Wa ball shift moment ..........

Pushing aside a potential (hopeful) Revis extension, if Detroit allows Suh to become available (as has been reported), should the Patriots push to sign him as a Free Agent? He's a dirty bastard on the field but also a generational talent. Would it be worth the risk?

Pushing aside a potential (hopeful) Revis extension, if Detroit allows Suh to become available (as has been reported), should the Patriots push to sign him as a Free Agent? He's a dirty bastard on the field but also a generational talent. Would it be worth the risk?

I'd have a difficult time envisioning that one, Aus.

Suh is a phenomenal talent on the field, but he will certainly demand top money on the market, and has other negatives about him. I don't think we'd pull the trigger on that one for the money it'd cost.

I'd have a difficult time envisioning that one, Aus.

Suh is a phenomenal talent on the field, but he will certainly demand top money on the market, and has other negatives about him. I don't think we'd pull the trigger on that one for the money it'd cost.
I tend to agree with you supa but it's a question worth asking given many were skeptical the Patriots could land Revis.

I tend to agree with you supa but it's a question worth asking given many were skeptical the Patriots could land Revis.

But Revis is a model citizen on and off the field..no trouble whatsoever. Suh is a ticking time bomb. Big difference

But Revis is a model citizen on and off the field..no trouble whatsoever. Suh is a ticking time bomb. Big difference
Belichick has never shunned players with perceived attitude problems if he believes there is value and the player can improve the team.

Yep. The immaturity, attitude, and off field trouble that follow Suh may be factors that could prevent Belichick from offering a major pay day.

Belichick has never shunned players with perceived attitude problems if he believes there is value and the player can improve the team.

Not sure there will be value becasue he will be top $$ with that attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots