PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alonzo Highsmith hired to front office

Before the beginning of the 2024 season, I think we will hear that its become official...
I tend to agree. Maybe before the draft?

Before the beginning of the 2024 season, I think we will hear that its become official...
Not sure about that. You have to earn it according to the de-facto Owner.

Who knew college football teams had GMs?
I guess since NIL, the money distributors have come out of the shadows and routing numbers have replaced stuffed envelopes

General Manager of Football Operations is a position I never heard of before; usually football operations at the college level is given to a very young guy; one of the greenest positions. It sounds like they added the GM part to accompany a person of Highsmith's age and stature.

But I wonder what the true nature of the position is. Not personnel, not a GM, not a scout, not a coach, not game planning. Could this be a culture type of hire? For young players? Jack Easterby but not an idiot?

From a Sports Illustrated article:

"Highsmith is returning to his roots. He was working in various NFL front offices from 1999 up until he took the GM job at Miami. He began with the Green Bay Packers as a college scout in 1999 and was promoted in 2012 to senior personnel executive. He later worked in the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks front offices."

Wikipedia says he was a Senior Personnel Executive for Green Bay from 2012 to 2018. In 2018, he went to the Browns as their Vice President of Player Personnel. Not sure for how long that went, but it also says his next role was in 2020 for Seattle as a "personnel executive".

General Manager of Football Operations is a position I never heard of before; usually football operations at the college level is given to a very young guy; one of the greenest positions. It sounds like they added the GM part to accompany a person of Highsmith's age and stature.

But I wonder what the true nature of the position is. Not personnel, not a GM, not a scout, not a coach, not game planning. Could this be a culture type of hire? For young players? Jack Easterby but not an idiot?
The BC coach said he left for an NFL OC position because he acted more as a GM with NIL and the transfer portal than a coach. I'd guess Miami split the role of GM and coach

Some moves are starting to be made. Especially moves that no one has seen coming. Are they finally starting to plug the leaks or have the leaks left the building? It will be interesting if we get clarification on Highsmiths role beyond “executive.”

Who knew college football teams had GMs?
I guess since NIL, the money distributors have come out of the shadows and routing numbers have replaced stuffed envelopes
I was thinking the same thing!:rofl:

I’m sure his title was “senior school administrator” or something to that effect…not GM. But who knows, I could be wrong. I just haven’t heard this title before when referring to college football teams.

I'm in the "Groh should go" Club.
At this point Groh must see the writing on the wall, similar to Steve Belichick. I think it's more typical to move front office guys after the draft, though, rather than before, like you do with coaches.

At this point Groh must see the writing on the wall, similar to Steve Belichick. I think it's more typical to move front office guys after the draft, though, rather than before, like you do with coaches.
Agree.

If you let him go before the draft he could provide intel on you to another team.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back