PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All's right in Dr. Z's world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not really care about Dr. Z's rankings. But his logic is absolutley hilarious. The Patriots need to play better...but then he says to forget about Dallas' meltdown and no biggie...what exactly is he a Dr. of???

Colts should be #1 until someone rated near them beats them simple as that. They are the champs so end of story.

Oh and be ready to see Randy in motion all game long out of the slot. Williams can't get the big hit if he can't catch him.

I am not sure that I understand the "they are the champs, so they must be #1 argument". Power polls are generally given as a ranking of how good teams are at a given point in time. What does last year's superbowl victory have to do with how good a team is right now? Let's imagine that there was a bus accident, and half of the colts' offensive players (including Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and half the offensive line) were injured and unable to play. Would you still insist that the colts "should be #1" in a poll ranking teams right now?

As I've said for years, there's no worse football analyst than "Dr. Z". Well, maybe Easterbrook.

This thread is as serious as a heart attack. We was robbed!

One of the things I like about Dr. Z is he doesn't take his polls so seriously.

This thread is as serious as a heart attack. We was robbed!

One of the things I like about Dr. Z is he doesn't take his polls so seriously.

He could have the Pats at #38 for all I care. It's the logic that bugs me.

(in reference to Dr Z referring to multiple wide sets) - I wonder when we'll see a 4-wide set like we saw employed in last season's Vikings game. There hasn't really been a game plan that needed it and I don't think the Cowboys does either, but I am just curious if that's something we'll see from the Pats this season.

Steelers game.

Anybody who uses the "defending champs" reasoning for the top spot shouldn't even put out a power ranking. The fact that he can only use that reason for putting the Colts #1 just proves how good the Pats are :)

Can't really fault him for saying the Pats needed to play better, since many of us here were saying the same thing. I guess the logic re: the Cowboys is a bit convoluted in that context, but I could care less where they rank. Besides, it makes this weekend's matchup look a little juicier; No. 2 vs. No. 3 is more interesting than No. 1 vs. No. 4, or whatever...

I would argue that the Browns are better than the Bucs, but really, I could care less so "it is what it is."

In some ways the Pats playing the Browns was kind of like a division game given how well Crennel knows the Pats personnel, coaching, and tendencies. Division games are always tougher.

its a weekly ranking of who HE thought was more impressive in victory.

NO IT'S NOT. I don't think you should post if you don't understand what the list is actually about. And by the way, I'm no fan of Brad Childress but your previous post makes it sound as though Wade Phillips is some great HC. He's not.

NO IT'S NOT. I don't think you should post if you don't understand what the list is actually about. And by the way, I'm no fan of Brad Childress but your previous post makes it sound as though Wade Phillips is some great HC. He's not.

alright sir , i will post when i understand when i understand what the weekly power ranking list is all about.
Thanks

They WERE the champs. Last year. Different players. Different team. This is a poll for THIS YEAR. The past shouldnt matter when ranking teams.

Hey, someone with a brain actually chimes in. The whole point is to rank how teams are doing right now, not what they did last year (even if they did win a very tainted and suspect championship, as is the case with the Dolts). It's the same reason teams hold on to veteran players too long, people can't let go of the past.

Who is more comfortable with the Patriots assuming the role of underdog for as long as possible? I know I am.

Only one power ranking counts...the last one.

Amen, brutha!

Who cares what Dr. Z or Pee-dah King or Pete Crisco or anybody else thinks?

All that matters is what Dr. BB thinks.

Focus on Dallas. One week at a time.

Last edited:
Did he actually say he thinks Dallas is going to have Roy Williams as the safety over the top of Moss all day? The guy who is one of the worst safeties in coverage in the sport? The guy who can't track deep balls in the air to save his life, always takes the wrong angle, and tends to knock his CB over more often than the knocking the ball away?

The Colts are the CURRENT CHAMPIONS. not last years champs, they won the superbowl THIS YEAR. They are the REIGNING champions THIS YEAR. Anyone else need a more detailed explanation??? Saying that them being the defending champs has nothing to do with this season is 100% ridiculous

If the Colts team plane flew into a large mountain.....and Polian had to replace the team with a bunch of scrubs....should the Colts still be ranked #1 just because the won the SB last year?

I just never understood the logic of ranking a team based on there accomplishments of last season. It makes 0 sense to me!

With that said....I could care less about power rankings....especially this early in the season.

Last edited:
its a weekly ranking of who HE thought was more impressive in victory. Pats won by more points and colts had more starters out against a better team in tampa which was big for him. I can see his point.

Dr. Z is making the same mistakes most pollmakers make - ranking the previous game way too high instead of considering the full season. Whatever. It's just food for thought; it doesn't really mean anything.

But I will throw in my thought (again) that last year's results are not meaningful in this year's rankings except as an indicator of how good a team is. The belief that last year's champion should be ranked as #1 until they lose is foolishness, IMO. (And, yes, I have freely shared this opinion over the last 6 years...)

Last edited:
The Colts are the CURRENT CHAMPIONS. not last years champs, they won the superbowl THIS YEAR. They are the REIGNING champions THIS YEAR. Anyone else need a more detailed explanation??? Saying that them being the defending champs has nothing to do with this season is 100% ridiculous

Count me as being 100% ridiculous then.

As far as being in 2007, you're right.

As far as being part of the current football season (which is what we're talking about), you're dead wrong.

It's amazing to me how much attention power rankings get. They're just fun, fer crissakes. Don't get so worked up.

I do have a random memory of Dr. Z's rankings after 2 weeks in 2001, the first Super Bowl season. Pats were 0-2, Bledsoe was out, and the Pats were LAST in the rankings. Not sure what number that was--there were 30 teams then, right? But anyway, there you go. That year ended up pretty well. As far as keeping the SB winner on top, he obviously doesn't stick to that, but leans toward it as a general principle. Hey, what the hell! A fun perk for fans of the SB winner. You don't like it, have your team win the damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3