PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All the throws from Tyrod Taylor in Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a nobody for one reason, he sat behind a guy who never missed a start. Not saying he will be great, but no one knew how good ARod was gonna be either-He rode the pine.

I assume you are talking about Rodgers? He was a first round pick. Teams will request trades for players they deem worthy, backups or not as well. Stop using bad examples to try and make the Bills QB situation seem to be better than it is.

Stop the run and keep everything in front of you will be a priority.

One of our guys on the bills forums does this every week. As you guys get set for the game, you can see what our young QB did in his first NFL start Sunday.

Enjoy!

Thank you. Feeling much better about the game after watching this.

Kid looked pretty good the first couple series. I'm sure they we're scripted though. Then he starts running I gotta think it's because the scripted plays ran out; then he had to think on his feet and it didn't go so well. He didn't look good when the blitz was on either.

Pats will not let him run on them. They will contain. They wil blitz up the middle with stunts and the kid will get hammered.

He was a nobody for one reason, he sat behind a guy who never missed a start. Not saying he will be great, but no one knew how good ARod was gonna be either-He rode the pine.

So Tyrod Taylor is Aaron Rodgers, who just never got a shot?

He was cut by the Ravens twice. Clearly they didn't think THAT highly of him.

Tyrod Taylor is exactly the guy you remember from Ohio State. A wildcat QB.

Thanks, foreboding. Good stuff.

He needs to put some touch on the short stuff (those passes frequently pop in the air for interceptions), but he can throw and move. That 50-yarder was sweet. I suspect the Pats will be beating the 'contain' drum this week, after Williams burned them several times around the ends. He should get to throw. Hopefully, the front 7 can give him something to think about rather than letting him sit back looking for an open receiver.

The Patriots will be a better challenge than the Colts, but the Bills will be a better challenge than the Steelers. We face a revamped Bills team on the road in a stadium that's calling for Brady's head seven days before the game starts. They were already in the top of the league in sacks last year, and that was before they brought Rex Ryan in as HC. They have one of the highest paid defensive lines in all of football, and our rookie center will be tested.

Taylor could have another game without turnovers against our defense. He doesn't seem to force the ball like Roethlisberger sometimes, and while our defensive backfield isn't running 10yd cushions like some teams we've fielded, we're nowhere near the defensive backfields we've had with Talib, Browner, or Revis. Plus our defensive line is still in transition from the loss of Wilfork. It'll be up to Belichick to work some magic with the zone schemes and taking the Watkins-Harvin deep balls away with McCourty while keeping the linebackers disciplined enough to stop the predictable Rex Ryan run game.

Tom Brady vs the Bills defense will be boom or bust. Live by the blitz or die by the blitz, and if the Bills get pressure without blitzing then we're not likely to win anyway. But there's no reason to doubt our offensive line yet, and Brady tends to beat the blitz more often than not, so I suspect Brady and the offense will ultimately outscore the Bills-- even if the Bills play mistake free football.

May the best team win.

Your facts are way off... he played for V Tech, where he won multiple bowl games and broke eery Vick record. He was never cut either.

Good take ...
not like the Ravens do not understand personnel ... they are a top team year after year for a reason.
They brought in Matt Schaub to can Tyrod ... that says a lot.

I only saw one pass from Taylor in the 10-15 yard range...I think it was a sideline out to Woods. Otherwise it was all really short passes or bombs. I'm not sure if that's the gameplan or not, but I have to say I know less about him than before, since there are almost no examples of the 3rd and 10 throws. Seems like that type of pass is most indicative of long term failure or success.

The Packers certainly did know how good Rodgers would be, since they moved on from Favre in favor of him...and that when Favre was still very good and the biggest icon in the city. Let's stop acting like the Packers had zero clue about Rodgers...years of practices, preseason games, reps with the first team. In general, word gets around when there is a marquee backup QB. Rodgers was hot trade bait and many were certain he would be a superstar.

Don't mean to throw cold water over Tyrod Taylor, but it is silly to think he has some kind of unknown ceiling because he hasn't started enough games yet. He may turn out to be a very good decision maker and play better in games than in practice, but I think most NFL coaches pretty much know where his talent level ends.

Your facts are way off... he played for V Tech, where he won multiple bowl games and broke eery Vick record. He was never cut either.

Virginia Tech's defense was one of the best in the country.

Michael Vick left after his Junior Season and played all of 2 seasons as a starter. Tyrod Taylor stayed for four years. Crapbag QB Logan Thomas now owns all of VA Tech's passing records. Although he's a backup too, so he's probably the next Aaron Rodgers. Oh, wait, we actually saw him play.

Taylor was the ACC Player of the year in 2010. In 2011, it was David Wilson, Taylor's RB. Never heard of him? You're not alone. But it wasn't glorified Wildcat or anything.

Michael Vick was 3rd in the Heisman voting in 1999. 6th in 2000. Taylor never received a Heisman vote. Vick played in a National Championship game. Taylor played 4 bowl games. He was 2-2 in those bowl games, losing to Kansas his Freshman year, and and epic win against 7-6 Tennessee in the Chick fil-A bowl.. Vick's two seasons as starter, VA Tech finished 2nd and 6th in the country. Taylor? 9th, 15th, 10th, 16th. That's about what Brian Randall did the four years previous. The year after Taylor left? They slid so far...ALL THE WAY...to 21st. From 16th.

Vick was a game changer, Taylor was a game manager. That's why Vick went 1st overall, and Taylor went in the 6th round and that's only because he could run.

Also, if Taylor is a poor man's Michael Vick, as you're trying to intimate - how would that make him Aaron Rodgers (who also went in the first round, for a reason)?

He looked good last week, but this wont be the first time Tyrod Taylor has played against New England. In 2013, he came in for a gimpy Joe Flacco during a embarrassing 41-7 blowout loss IN BALTIMORE to the Patriots. On his very first snap, Gino Gradkowski snapped it too far to the right, and was recovered by New England for a touchdown. He finished completing 1 of 4 passes for 2 yards and an interception returned for a touchdown. LOL

He looked good last week, but this wont be the first time Tyrod Taylor has played against New England. In 2013, he came in for a gimpy Joe Flacco during a embarrassing 41-7 blowout loss IN BALTIMORE to the Patriots. On his very first snap, Gino Gradkowski snapped it too far to the right, and was recovered by New England for a touchdown. He finished completing 1 of 4 passes for 2 yards and an interception returned for a touchdown. LOL

Tavon Wilson, no less.

Virginia Tech.

You may be thinking of Terrelle Pryor. He played for OSU.

EDIT: Sorry, see that it's been addressed already.

One of our guys on the bills forums does this every week. As you guys get set for the game, you can see what our young QB did in his first NFL start Sunday.

Enjoy!

Hey, despite the fact that we dislike each others' rooting interests, thanks for sharing a useful post. We always welcome opposing fans, as long as they are respectful. It sucks to see you eat so much **** being excited about your team, but it takes awhile to get recognized as something other than a troll. Those are the rules of the internet ;)

Believe it or not, we have tons of respect for some of our opposing members--even from the Jets and Steelers. I think we can all understand the hype and excitement surrounding next week's game, and hey--if Taylor proves himself to be a competitive QB, you have a team who should be a tough out in the majority of their games, which should include a battle for a postseason spot.

I think we all expected BUF to have a strong defense this year, but I'm sure you can understand the apprehension of Tyrod Taylor being a solid NFL quarterback after just one start. That said, you probably don't need a world beater QB to go 9-7 or even 10-6 this season with that defense. We've seen that formula work before when teams have tough "D's."

Taylor was a lot more competent than I had imagined. It's only one week and a pretty simple game plan, but then again, every young QB starts out simple.

I can see him as a poor man's Kaepernick, and with Roman around, that's not a bad thing at all. Kaep gave us all sorts of problems, and I could see Taylor doing the same if he can make all the throws. He showed pretty good touch on some of those short passes and pretty good accuracy.

BB is going to take away those dump-offs and deep passes and make him throw the 10-15 yarders. He'll have to make consistently tough reads and accurate throws into coverage. Probably take away Watkins with safety help and force Taylor into putting together long drives without making mistakes.

It should be a good game.

Lets see how he plays in late October / November when there is more tape available. It doesn't matter how good he looks now if teams are able to figure him out based on tape. Case Keenum had two very big & nice games for the Texans two years ago until teams figured him out.

Correct. Taylor as at VT. I was forced to watch VT games due to circumstances out of my control :).

Not to take away from Taylor -- when you win much more than you lose it is to be highlighted -- but VT was far from a passing oriented offense. VT was a defense + STs + running + pass. Which is not to say Taylor's passing sucked but he was using his legs to make many things happen with a fair amount of jump ball throws.
IMHO VT was good enough with Taylor and the D to almost win the championship. Just didn't think Beamer knew how to use the parts right. But in no way did I watch VT/Taylor and come away thinking this kid can kill it from the air (except on rare occasions). It doesn't mean he hasn't taken his game to a new level in the NFL but he was not showing much 'big time passing QB' in his VT days. I will be surprised, though, if he isn't running a lot to try and move the Bill's offense (eventually). But we will see...

Some constructive posts here, some not. Glad you all enjoyed the video.

As far as TT being the next Aaron Rodgers, that is hardly what I meant lol- That would be a bit premature. Bills fans do have hope though. Shoot, you guys know something about an unheralded guy making good in the NFL. Rare, but it does happen.

One game is hardly a good sample size. The guy can play though, former teammates gush about his skill set.

For the record he was NOT cut in favor of Schaub. He played his contract out and then chose not to re-sign with the Ravens, though they wanted him. The reason is that he wanted a chance to start, this year. That is also why he turned down a contract offer for more money with the Bronco's. Some one on here mixed him up with OSU's Pryor, he is black and athletic...but not the same guy...

Time will tell if he is going to be a long term answer, but the reason he is here is that Rex and Roman wanted him specifically and for one week at least he proved them right.

Should be an exciting game Sunday.

Lets see how he plays in late October / November when there is more tape available. It doesn't matter how good he looks now if teams are able to figure him out based on tape. Case Keenum had two very big & nice games for the Texans two years ago until teams figured him out.
No doubt- only many more games will show us what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes