PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All out attack on the media

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's probably too late to do very much now. opinions have been formed, both in the general public and in the media.

the people who all along have had the deep pockets and the motivation to defend themselves are the Krafts. there are media consultants who make fortunes "getting out the story" for companies and institutions who, fairly or unfairly, have been the subject of one-sided or biased media coverage. the best are very effective, even when we don't like their methods. so far, the krafts have not engaged this kind of help. or, if they have, they have hired the wrong help.

on the day that spygate broke in september, before it was even getting much attention out here, i posted that the story "had legs" and that the Krafts should get ahead of it in the media before it took on a life of its own. i was flamed for "taking spygate seriously" because it would "go away."

Kraft's only challenge is that he would have to open secrets the NFL may not want aired. So how does he continue to an owner in good standing and defend his coach & team by revealing the truth?

Okay, a couple of things:

Regardless, the only way to get media access is to contact someone in media, with a non-hyperbolic offer of something of value to them, in the way of information (what they are supposed to trade in.)

Little hint: you probably won't get sympathetic coverage when the thread title is "all out attack on the media."

PFnV

WAITAMINNIT, I just had a positive epiphany.... here's a bunch of fans saying "Organize Us!" and I'm being a wanker pessimist. You guys are an organizer's dream.

If anybody has more experience and savvy, please, please take the reins. If not, I'll throw a few ideas into the hat (have had some experience in the arena but not vast extensive experience.) What the hell, my uncle has a barn, let's put on a show!

Good point in bold...Mods, can you change the thread title to "A Message to the Media"?

I don't agree at all. I realize there is a very, very small contingent of Pats fans who want to just blame Belichik, but I would appreciate if you could keep those comments to an appropriate thread. And this is not that thread.

Huh? How is this the wrong thread? Look, I am on the same team as you folks...I just want the orchestrator on the problem to be more involved with the media. The whole "it is what it is" was cute for most of the season, but now it's just ridiculous.

One more thing...everytime we say "the Patriots didn't do anything the rest of the league hasn't done" is a poor, poor, poor defense. My kids say the same thing when they get busted for doing something they weren't supposed to. The best the the fans can do is NOT add to the media fire. The more attention they get the more they write.

Last edited:
The Patriots should have started it back in September. If they didn’t want to do it publicly, then do it behind the scenes. Reporters are always given background off the record. Instead, to this day, we are fed misinformation.

That there is so much still misunderstood is the Patriots’ fault. People on a message board shouldn’t be the ones educating the national media and by extention the nation, but that seems the case .

If the NFL told the Patriots not to try to spin anything in their favor other than the quick apology, then the NFL is to blame that national hysteria continues.

Last edited:
Huh? How is this the wrong thread? Look, I am on the same team as you folks...I just want the orchestrator on the problem to be more involved with the media. The whole "it is what it is" was cute for most of the season, but now it's just ridiculous.

One more thing...everytime we say "the Patriots didn't do anything the rest of the league hasn't done" is a poor, poor, poor defense. My kids say the same thing when they get busted for doing something they weren't supposed to. The best the the fans can do is NOT add to the media fire. The more attention they get the more they write.

I do not want spygate debated in this thread. You're right, "everyone does it" is a poor excuse. but that doesn't change the fact that what they did never was a big deal. If it was, the entire league would have to be investigated.

That is the end of that discussion.

Equating your kids with grown men working professionally and involved in a multimillion dollar business is completely moronic.

Teams have used video tape forever in this league...the whole imbroglio stems from the PLACEMENT of the camera...hardly deserving of your rather demonstrative "poor poor poor" adjectival reference.

If there's one thing we have come to learn on this board this season, it's when someone POSTS "You know, I'm a Patriot fan just like you guys!", that is the DEFINITE EARMARK of the T-R-O-L-L.

Equating your kids with grown men working professionally and involved in a multimillion dollar business is completely moronic.

Teams have used video tape forever in this league...the whole imbroglio stems from the PLACEMENT of the camera...hardly deserving of your rather demonstrative "poor poor poor" adjectival reference.

If there's one thing we have come to learn on this board this season, it's when someone POSTS "You know, I'm a Patriot fan just like you guys!", that is the DEFINITE EARMARK of the T-R-O-L-L.

lol...you're right. never thought of that!

I understand of BB avoided comment to have spygate motivate his team. But, the season is over and all that's left is Spygate. This is the big offseason media conversation. Not sure if another story will trump it.

I apologize if I come off as a blasphemous troll, because trust me I am completely against them and do not add to their BS. I am also anti-media...but with that said, I think it doesn't make sense to add to the fire. The organization needs to defend it's own practices. The letter went out from the commissioner...taping on the filed persisted (without a roof, which would have made it permissible)...and BB was called out. Where is the gray area?

Okay, here are some givens:

1) BB did not want to exaccerbate the problem during the season, either entirely for the reason he gave (distraction factor) or for that plus any other reasons. I am okay with that.

2) Since the season, BB has given more explanation, but has been customarily succinct.

3) BB has a strategy in re: the media. It appears to be very much echoed by the Pats' front office: we can not control the press we generate. We can best control promotions and the like. The team is very, very tightly controlled when it comes to "policy" through press release. Press releases will tell you the Pats picked up a new backup lineman or something, but will seldom react in great depth to media allegations.

Conclusion: It may be fun, but it is not productive, to postulate a world in which the Pats FO and BB seize on press opportunities to tell their side of the story.

Corollary: They must use this approach for a reason. We are no more privy to that reason than the various media outlets, although we have our guesses.

Corollary 2: The official Pats' position, which can be pinned on the Pats' organization, will air its point of view at the single most advantageous point in time.

Corollary 3: Fans, however, pursuing an organized agenda, are not hamstrung by any official tie to the team.

Corollary 4: Fans are also almost guaranteed to be too scattered, amateurish, and inconsistent to have any cumulative effect on the "war of ideas" out there.

To the extent that such fans are organized, and to the extent that they thoughtfully apply a PR mindset, those fans may be marginally heard.

You guys for real? It's a lot of work for a marginal voice. And one of you guys would have to go out there with your real name (I personally refuse to.)

But I'm up for an organized attempt to get a viewpoint heard. Who here's for real?

PFnV

I understand of BB avoided comment to have spygate motivate his team. But, the season is over and all that's left is Spygate. This is the big offseason media conversation. Not sure if another story will trump it.

i don't hear anyone talking cameragate. all i hear and see is that liar/cheater clemens and congress make complete as*es of themselves.

i don't hear anyone talking cameragate. all i hear and see is that liar/cheater clemens and congress make complete as*es of themselves.

Now that is one dude that should have just kept quiet...and prayed it went away. His defense is really starting to crumble. "I was never at Canseco's party"...Oh really? Well please explain this picture of you at the party you say you didn't attend.

SOMEBODY has to lead the charge. So why not us? When you think about it, how has the media avoided all the facts & stories of cheating in the NFL? Why do they choose NOT to write about these facts? Why are they purposefully TRYING to paint the Patriots as Cheaters when cheating has been part of the game for decades?

Why, why, why....do so many in the media seem like they are trying to take the Patriots down? I am so F***ING sick & tired of this farce. Isn't there a Patsfan.com member who has a contact in the media who can tell us once & for all why the media has chosen to report on the Patriots rule violations and not written one iota about how widespread all of this has been?

Why are they investigating an a** like Walsh and not investigating the facts behind espionage in the NFL? If there is a purposeful effort to destroy BB & the Patriots as they are today, that MUST be a conspiracy. And here we sit doing nothing about it. Shame on us!

Can someone please suggest a way to FORCE the media to do this? I for one am ready & willing for an all out attack on the media. We just need someone to help us focus & organize our efforts.

I would donate $$ to such a cause if that is what is necessary.

You don't need to FORCE the media to do anything. Look at the PFT story about how extensive other teams cheating are.

All of the sources cited by Florio - who is well read among all football personnel and players - originated here.

Pats1 seems to have a good line of communication with Florio and I've not been shy about sending him my links as well.

Persevere and eventually what we know will be known by all.

You don't need to FORCE the media to do anything. Look at the PFT story about how extensive other teams cheating are.

All of the sources cited by Florio - who is well read among all football personnel and players - originated here.

Pats1 seems to have a good line of communication with Florio and I've not been shy about sending him my links as well.

Persevere and eventually what we know will be known by all.

Forcing the media was just wishful thinking on my part. I wish it was possible, but I realize it isn't. My biggest gripe with them is that they have no right to try to attack BB and bring him down...and they are attempting to do just that.

That individual would have to be someone that could handle a lot of egg in the face if Spygate goes as deep as some expect. It's bad enough each Pats fan has to deal with their team being called a cheater because of a few minutes of game film...but if there is some credibility to the Walsh story, it could get even uglier. Yes the Patriots are taking a hit, but lets be honest...it is Bill's fault this happened. He needs to confront the media, not any of us. I love the Pats and I constantly defend the organization and their achievements...but c'mon, Bill needs to put this to bed not us.
Wow. Not much spin there. I have to hand it to you.

Forcing the media was just wishful thinking on my part. I wish it was possible, but I realize it isn't. My biggest gripe with them is that they have no right to try to attack BB and bring him down...and they are attempting to do just that.
Holeeeee Smokesssss.....

I don't visit any hack media websites anymore .. the less traffic they have then the less they can charge for advertising. It's not much but if site like the Herald's visits go way down they lose escarol...;)

I, like some, have tried to address people in the media or in the internet world. My suggestion is to take it one idea at a time.

I will not focus on all the below points, but just what the mediaperson or internet warrior specifically has addressed. It's best to knock down someone's misconception one at a time.

Here's a list of my talking points or Message to the Media Toolkit (and others)
As you will see I like to use references. I have gotten responses along the lines of "Ok, I didn't know that, but..." which I take as a victory. Then on to the next battle.

Message to the Media Toolkit Use as needed.

1) Misconception that stealing signs is illegal. I guote Clayton and Shanahan.
I add an excerpt from the Dolphins/Patriot audiblegate article.
Links:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/01/09/life_of_reilly/

2) Misconception that taping is illegal. Teams tape. I quote Greg Aiello's comments on the Jets taping. I ask if this overrides p105 of Operations Manual, Anderson's memo or the Constitution and By-Laws.

Links:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12132007/sports/jets/tape_that_pats__256096.htm
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=2789205

3) No spying. You can't spy on something out in the open. Goodell noted that on a tape an opposing coach waved at the camera. Not secret. Your cameraphone can capture coaches on the sidelines.

I'll add what spying really is and add a quote about the Broncos.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-historynflcheating&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

But the NFL thought that was a "team issue." ( Kind of like changing signals?)

4) Misconception that the taping of coaches signals automatically means you know the signals or get them correct or use them correctly. The Jet's tape showed three different coaches giving different sets of signals. Watch that tape once and it won't tell you much. You would have do a fair amount of tape-watching to get it right, if you do get it right. But some people like that sort of thing.

5) I quote the Consitution and by-laws and give an example of non-in game use. For example, Teams can't look at game tape during the game, they can look on Friday and Saturday, but not on Sunday during the game. The prohibition of looking at tape during a game been long-standing and established.

6) At some point the practice was deemed ok. Not "that everyone does it" but to show that it seems to have been standard practice for some. It's unclear when it was deemed not ok. I note that Anderson's memo talks about taping from certain locations.

Link:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...23/jimmy-johnson-thinks-spygate-is-overblown/

(Sorry Herald boycotters, it's the best link I have)

7) I note how Goodell is backtracking. He is now talking about how teams are always interested in other teams signs. He talks about it's the team's responsibility to change signs. He is no longer using the language he used last September. I say that I suspect that Goodell and his staff know they overdid it. I suspect he got a lot of flack from team staff along the lines of "Did you need to blow that up?"

I suspect that if Goodell had a time machine, he'd do things much differently.

8) I will say the Patriots broke a rule that appears to be the same rule against having a cameraman on the sidelines taping cheerleaders or taping Ed Hochuli flexing his musles or picking his nose.

Recently, I (through email) I got a radio host to know that the Patriots lost the Tampa Bay game mentioned in the NY Times article and that stealing signs is ok. You will get people to respond "Oh, I know that stealing signs is not against the rules" but they really didn't and you got that off the table. Then I focus on the taping aspect bringing up other talking points.

Kraft's only challenge is that he would have to open secrets the NFL may not want aired. So how does he continue to an owner in good standing and defend his coach & team by revealing the truth?

you're right. the patriots options were limited. putting that aside, the major problem is that the patriots allowed this to be characterized as "cheating" from the very beginning, so the discussion was always framed in terms of how badly the pats had "cheated."

even though they alone knew all the facts, the patriots never controlled the story. in fact, the media firestorm allowed the story to take on a life of its own.

even though we don't know all the facts about what the patriots might or might not have said, nonetheless, a more effectivet response would have included the following. (while there's no guarantee how effective this approach might have been, and while there certainly would have been some bad moments, the overall outcome would have been at least a little better for the pats and certainly couldn't have been any worse than it turned out.

the development and communication of a clear "Patriots position" on all aspects of taping, from which there would be no deviation unless the facts demanded it. as far as i know, the only thing that the pats have ever said about spygate is that they apologized to their fans and recognized the league's right to fine them.

a full press avail for Belichick at the beginning in which he stayed seated until he had answered everyone's questions. then, no further word from bb. becasue he remained silent, except for his statement on the night of the fines, the media has been able to paint him any way they want and never in a flattering light.

the immediate designation of one patriots spokesperson, probably jonathan kraft, who would handle media questions, be available to the talk shows, etc. this would have been a very tough job, but silence proved to be worse.

daily or regular "talking points" e-mailed to all members of the media and pats supporters putting out the patriots side of the story.

the creation of an informal network of senior advisors/supporters who would be available to the media to defend the pats at all times. maybe jim brown, coach johnson and two or three others.

selective off the record, "deep background" interviews given to members of the media who were neutral or well-disposed to the patriots.

I, like some, have tried to address people in the media or in the internet world. My suggestion is to take it one idea at a time.

I will not focus on all the below points, but just what the mediaperson or internet warrior specifically has addressed. It's best to knock down someone's misconception one at a time.

Here's a list of my talking points or Message to the Media Toolkit (and others)
As you will see I like to use references. I have gotten responses along the lines of "Ok, I didn't know that, but..." which I take as a victory. Then on to the next battle.

Message to the Media Toolkit Use as needed.

1) Misconception that stealing signs is illegal. I guote Clayton and Shanahan.
I add an excerpt from the Dolphins/Patriot audiblegate article.
Links:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/01/09/life_of_reilly/

2) Misconception that taping is illegal. Teams tape. I quote Greg Aiello's comments on the Jets taping. I ask if this overrides p105 of Operations Manual, Anderson's memo or the Constitution and By-Laws.

Links:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12132007/sports/jets/tape_that_pats__256096.htm
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=2789205

3) No spying. You can't spy on something out in the open. Goodell noted that on a tape an opposing coach waved at the camera. Not secret. Your cameraphone can capture coaches on the sidelines.

I'll add what spying really is and add a quote about the Broncos.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-historynflcheating&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

But the NFL thought that was a "team issue." ( Kind of like changing signals?)

4) Misconception that the taping of coaches signals automatically means you know the signals or get them correct or use them correctly. The Jet's tape showed three different coaches giving different sets of signals. Watch that tape once and it won't tell you much. You would have do a fair amount of tape-watching to get it right, if you do get it right. But some people like that sort of thing.

5) I quote the Consitution and by-laws and give an example of non-in game use. For example, Teams can't look at game tape during the game, they can look on Friday and Saturday, but not on Sunday during the game. The prohibition of looking at tape during a game been long-standing and established.

6) At some point the practice was deemed ok. Not "that everyone does it" but to show that it seems to have been standard practice for some. It's unclear when it was deemed not ok. I note that Anderson's memo talks about taping from certain locations.

Link:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...23/jimmy-johnson-thinks-spygate-is-overblown/

(Sorry Herald boycotters, it's the best link I have)

7) I note how Goodell is backtracking. He is now talking about how teams are always interested in other teams signs. He talks about it's the team's responsibility to change signs. He is no longer using the language he used last September. I say that I suspect that Goodell and his staff know they overdid it. I suspect he got a lot of flack from team staff along the lines of "Did you need to blow that up?"

I suspect that if Goodell had a time machine, he'd do things much differently.

8) I will say the Patriots broke a rule that appears to be the same rule against having a cameraman on the sidelines taping cheerleaders or taping Ed Hochuli flexing his musles or picking his nose.

Recently, I (through email) I got a radio host to know that the Patriots lost the Tampa Bay game mentioned in the NY Times article and that stealing signs is ok. You will get people to respond "Oh, I know that stealing signs is not against the rules" but they really didn't and you got that off the table. Then I focus on the taping aspect bringing up other talking points.

Very much on the right track. Talking points look to be tailored to counter any points of contention from specific time periods - you have some success strories, so I am loathe to critique, but PM if you would like to discuss specific targeting, "next steps," etc.

If not, looks to me like you're doing just fine :)

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back