PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Millstein: Brady's chances of en banc hearing dramatically improved with latest amicus filings

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that they delayed things on purpose. I imagine some horrible scenario where it's mid-Nov, yet BB still doesn't know who to give the starting reps to. Even worse, he may be thinking about his teams' chance in the postseason, with some question marks as to when a suspension may take place.

I'm half-kidding.

I think it would be fair to say that the Patriots are being somewhat (insidiously) handicapped by having the question of who will be the starting quarterback hanging over them.

At least in that Garappolo really cant be traded until the matter is settled. Possibly showcasing Garappolo might bring the Patriots more in trade capital, but so might trading him (if that is even on Belichick's radar) before week 1 too.

I can't wait we'll be able to hear Kessler **** the bed in audio form.

I think it would be fair to say that the Patriots are being somewhat (insidiously) handicapped by having the question of who will be the starting quarterback hanging over them.

At least in that Garappolo really cant be traded until the matter is settled. Possibly showcasing Garappolo might bring the Patriots more in trade capital, but so might trading him (if that is even on Belichick's radar) before week 1 too.

While I understand the gravity of the situation I think many people are overreacting in terms of "Patriots not being able to prepare". Given the "next man up" philosophy of our team and the inherent violence in the game of football, it is never fully guaranteed that your QB will be healthy for the next game so QB2 needs to be prepared either way.

In other words, I am not sure if the whole suspension saga is/will really affecting practice that much.

Well, Katzmann had promised an "expeditious" process with the original Appeal, so it's not unreasonable to assume that he is still aware of the timeline. But, the direct answer to your question is that there is no real reason the Court should care.

When athletes have criminal problems, it seems to consistently be the case that courts are sensitive to the seasonality of their employment.

Courts are also sensitive to the schedules of the lawyers.

Much is wrong with the justice system, including its ability to finish work in a timely manner. But courts consistently TRY to be courteous (no pun intended, but I wonder whether there's some common etymology) with respect to schedules and so on.

I've been following this from a Fantasy POV mostly. But just for $hits n giggles, let's say the suspension ends up being enforced. What sort of effect would it have on the Pats and division?

Week 1 @Arizona
Week 2 vs Miami
Week 3 vs Houston
Week 4 vs Buffalo

Now my best guesses if you were to poll all fans outside of NE...

With Brady:
4-0 15%
3-1 60%
2-2 20%
1-3 4%
0-4 1% (always gonna be haters)

With Garoppolo:
4-0 2%
3-1 10%
2-2 40%
1-3 38%
0-4 10%

What do you guys think? I'd guess the suspension could cause a 1 to 2 game swing. Which could affect who wins the division.

Of course it's possible Garoppolo does really well and the Pats are 4-0 or 3-1 after 4 games. But it's June, no sense in having blind faith now. Save that for Aug/Sept. Realistically there will be some drop off.

I'd say 2-2 most likely and still easily the favorite to win the division once Brady returns. Though 1-3 is probably more likely than 3-1, and if that happens, it could be a battle to the end with Buffalo or NY.

I don't think they lose the home games with Garoppolo.
Question: if he's suspended, can Brady sit in the owner's booth and watch the game from there?

And FWIW, if the NFLPA was a real union, and Brady gets suspended for this, the starting QB's for the opposing teams would get the flu for each game against the Pats.

I don't think they lose the home games with Garoppolo.

Houston and two divisional opponents?

Well it's possible to win all 3 at home for sure. But Garoppolo would have to be at least a decent QB. And that I have no clue about. Like will he be able to handle Rex's schemes or Watt in his face all day? If so, you guys are some lucky bastards. Could be set at QB once Brady hangs 'em up.

He shows all the signs of being at least an average NFL starting QB, but no one will know until it happens. Average will win us those three games.

He probably won't be around when Brady hangs 'em up, due to contract length. But again, who knows.

I've been following this from a Fantasy POV mostly. But just for $hits n giggles, let's say the suspension ends up being enforced. What sort of effect would it have on the Pats and division?

Week 1 @Arizona
Week 2 vs Miami
Week 3 vs Houston
Week 4 vs Buffalo

With Brady:
4-0 15%
3-1 60%
2-2 20%
1-3 4%

With Garoppolo:
4-0 2%
3-1 10%
2-2 40%
1-3 38%
0-4 10%

What do you guys think? I'd guess the suspension could cause a 1 to 2 game swing. Which could affect who wins the division.

Of course it's possible Garoppolo does really well and the Pats are 4-0 or 3-1 after 4 games. But it's June, no sense in having blind faith now. Save that for Aug/Sept. Realistically there will be some drop off.

I'd say 2-2 most likely and still easily the favorite to win the division once Brady returns. Though 1-3 is probably more likely than 3-1, and if that happens, it could be a battle to the end with Buffalo or NY.
Over those four games, I'd expect the Pats to perform one game worse with Garoppolo than Brady. With Brady, I think they'd go either 4-0 or 3-1. With Garoppolo, either 3-1 or 2-2. That change in QBs obviously moves the needle in any game, but it only dramatically swings my expectations against Arizona. If Garoppolo is our QB week 1, I expect the Pats to lose.

The Cardinals are an elite team, but the Dolphins and Bills look awful. Neither game's a gimme just because division games never are, but I'd expect the Pats to win both of them regardless of who's the QB. And the Texans don't scare me at all either. Historically, it's a matchup that really works in the Pats' favor, and we're lucky to be playing them early in the season before injuries have take their toll and before Osweiler (who I don't think is very good anyway) gets too comfortable in that offense. The Pats have historically done a very good job of managing Watt, and they'll play McCourty over the top of Hopkins all game. Add in that Hopkins is the type of WR that our corners tend to hold up pretty well against, and I just don't feel very threatened by Houston in general. With Brady, I think we reliably win by 2+ TDs.

Last edited:
He shows all the signs of being at least an average NFL starting QB, but no one will know until it happens. Average will win us those three games.

He probably won't be around when Brady hangs 'em up, due to contract length. But again, who knows.

Man, if Garoppolo gets you guys to 3-1 in what would be his first real action (I think), they definitely have to think about making him part of the longterm plans.

Life w/o a QB in the NFL blows. This is one area I know a lot about... trust me.

Over those four games, I'd expect the Pats to perform one game worse with Garoppolo than Brady. With Brady, I think they'd go either 4-0 or 3-1. With Garoppolo, either 3-1 or 2-2.

The Cardinals are an elite team, but the Dolphins and Bills look awful. Neither game's a gimme just because division games never are, but I'd expect the Pats to win both of them regardless of who's the QB. And the Texans don't scare me at all either. Historically, it's a matchup that really works in the Pats' favor, and we're lucky to be playing them early in the season before injuries have take their toll and before Osweiler (who I don't think is very good anyway) gets too comfortable in that offense. The Pats have historically done a very good job of managing Watt, and they'll play McCourty over the top of Hopkins all game. Add in that Hopkins is the type of WR that our corners tend to hold up pretty well against, and I just don't feel very threatened by Houston in general. With Brady, I think we reliably win by 2+ TDs.

Right. The quick break downs make sense, but it's the drop-off from Brady (a QB who's easily in the conversation for best QB ever, and definitely top 5) to an inexperienced guy we don't know much about. That's a huge wildcard. A couple INTs or just not reading or adjusting to Ds well, and there can easily be losses to teams you'd otherwise expect to easily beat with TB12.

Still want Brady to start, but watching the Pats w/o him would definitely be interesting.

Last edited:
lol hopefully the television networks pull whatever strings they have to make sure that the case is now heard because it will be a ratings bonanza.

Boy, DZ--I'd be shocked to find out that Garappolo was even being considered for a trade under any circumstance, at least this season. He's all we have behind #12 in terms of playbook knowledge. Whether Tom is suspended or not, we need to hang on to Garappolo until at least next spring (IMO).

When athletes have criminal problems, it seems to consistently be the case that courts are sensitive to the seasonality of their employment.

Courts are also sensitive to the schedules of the lawyers.

Much is wrong with the justice system, including its ability to finish work in a timely manner. But courts consistently TRY to be courteous (no pun intended, but I wonder whether there's some common etymology) with respect to schedules and so on.

what I find fascinating is the sort of progression of one idea involving the origin of words as it pertains to the following post by JetFan13245623487587 that is a definite example of entomology. For as we all know as Pats fans, the Jet fan is definitely of the order of insectiae..:D

Either way, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where the Pats are more than one game out when Brady returns. Let's not pretend as if the Bills, Jets, or Phins are going to be any better than 3-1. If Garappolo is able to hold things down with a 2-2 record, we should be in fine shape.

Either way, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where the Pats are more than one game out when Brady returns. Let's not pretend as if the Bills, Jets, or Phins are going to be any better than 3-1. If Garappolo is able to hold things down with a 2-2 record, we should be in fine shape.

Definitely. At least from the Jets perspective anyway. The whole division has a tough road this season, but our first 7 games are nuts.

Vs Cincinnati
@ Buffalo
@ KC
Vs Seattle
@ Pitt
@ Arizona
Vs Baltimore

Usually the toughest part of our schedule involves the Pats. Not this year. If the Jets are gonna have a shot, it'll most likely involve coming back in the second half of the season. If we finish those first 7 @3-4, I'd be content. 4-3 and I'll be thrilled.

Boy, DZ--I'd be shocked to find out that Garappolo was even being considered for a trade under any circumstance, at least this season. He's all we have behind #12 in terms of playbook knowledge. Whether Tom is suspended or not, we need to hang on to Garappolo until at least next spring (IMO).

Like I said, it might not even be on Belichick's radar, but what it does is limit Belichick's flexibility. He doesn't really have the option of moving Garappolo, period. I like Belichick having as many options as possible. Even if he has no plans on making use of them.

On a side note, Fitzgerald might be holding out for more money, but he also might be ready to come play for a hated rival for vet minimum right about now :)

Thats a wishful thinking joke btw.. ;)

Week 1 @Arizona
Week 2 vs Miami
Week 3 vs Houston
Week 4 vs Buffalo

With Brady:
4-0 15%
3-1 60%
2-2 20%
1-3 4%

With Garoppolo:
4-0 2%
3-1 10%
2-2 40%
1-3 38%
0-4 10%

Interesting question. I believe that any suspension of Brady is grossly unfair and simply wrong for more reasons than I could state in a few sentences, so I'll focus on your question.

Your question makes me realize that, if Brady is going to be (unfairly and wrongly) suspended, we should just get it over with. A stretch of four games, three at home, at the beginning of the season is probably as good as he could hope for.

That said, I think we Pats fans have to take the blinders off about those games. The most important thing that Garoppolo has going for him is that BB and Josh have had two seasons to observe him and he is still on the Roster...that says a lot; otherwise, he's an unknown outside of a few passes in a game setting.

His first start will be on national TV against a seasoned QB and a well-coached team playing on its home turf with a chip on its shoulder after being embarrassed by the Panthers in last year's playoffs. While I'm looking forward to the head games that Belichick will play with Palmer in the week leading up to that game: "Carson Palmer? What can I say? He's a seasoned Quarterback. We have nothing but the utmost respect for him. He's one of the best in the league. He'll be playing on his home field against a guy starting his first ever NFL game before a national audience. You've got to give Palmer a big advantage there and expect a great performance from him under those circumstances. We're going to have our work cut out for us if we're going to be able to stop him." [barf!]. He'll try to get inside his head make the story line all week be about the high expectations of Palmer and the low expectations of Garoppolo. But, unless Palmer throws up all over himself, I don't think it's realistic to expect the Pats to win that game...

Then three home games. Two against division rivals and one against a Houston team that was humiliated at home by KC in the WC round and will be looking to make a statement against the team that everybody wants to make a statement agains. Anything can happen in a Division game, even at home.

So, four tough games. Three at home. An unknown QB. It's a crap shoot.

Garoppolo could surprise us...on the upside or the downside...but he will have a lot of weapons.

We do know that the Defense is stout and that BB will have them well prepared and playing with their own chip on their shoulder.

Bottom Line: I could see them going 1--3 just as well as I could see them going 3--1 and would be delighted if Garoppolo handed a 2--2 record to a rested and angry Tom Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3