PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Smith puts Rivers in TERRIBLE position...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know they don't? What reason do you have to think Volek is any better than Cassel?

Volek has proven he can play QB in the NFL, Cassel couldn't even play in college.

How do you know they don't? What reason do you have to think Volek is any better than Cassel?

Has Cassel ever played an entire regular season game?

In the 14 games that Volak had 15 or more attempts, 11 of them he has a passer rating of 87 or greater.

The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has a partially torn ACL and a sprained MCL in his right knee, making him doubtful for Sunday’s playoff game.
Rivers? Torn ACL? Wow, in another thread where we tried to mention this we were shouted down by CHarger trolls who said things like we didn't know what we were talking about, etc etc etc.

Guess the Charger trolls have their heads up their butts again, huh?

Frankly, were I a Patriots fan, I'd be BEGGING to see Rivers starting this game.

I honestly think Volek gives them a better chance to win regardless of Rivers health.

He could start on several teams in the league.

Last edited:
In my opinion Rivers could be risking his career playing with a partially torn ACL and a sprained MCL. What if someone falls on his leg? With an already weakened knee he could be risking tearing the PCL, and MCL. It's not a good situation, and it's not right for the team to leave the decision up to Phillip.

Rivers? Torn ACL? Wow, in another thread where we tried to mention this we were shouted down by CHarger trolls who said things like we didn't know what we were talking about, etc etc etc.

I wouldn't want to be in Rivers shoes at the moment.I know this is a big game & he wants to start.He has to think of his health long term.This game isn't that serious in a health sense

Don't all trolls have their heads up their butts? It's a requirement for the title. And anyways, this story just came out a few hours ago.

Rivers did not practice yesterday but said his knee was feeling "a lot better." I think he's going to play, and the rest is just spin.

Last edited:
Don't all trolls have their heads up their butts? It's a requirement for the title. And anyways, this story just came out a few hours ago.

Rivers did not practice yesterday but said his knee was feeling "a lot better." I think he's going to play, and the rest is just spin.

Listen, if he has a partially torn ACL his knee isn't going to feel "a lot better".

The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has a partially torn ACL and a sprained MCL in his right knee, making him doubtful for Sunday’s playoff game.

According to an expert quoted in the story, it’s possible to play with a partially torn ACL. Chargers GM A.J. Smith said the final decision will rest with Rivers.

If he can’t go, backup Billy Volek would get the start.

That's great. Put it completely on the player as to whether or not he'll play in the biggest game of his life. What's Rivers supposed to do, beg out? This should be a TEAM decision. It's reckless and d!ck-ish of the Chargers organization to play it otherwise.
it's called balls....Aj says grow some :D

I have seen Frank Reich and let me be the first to tell you that Billy Volek is no Frank Reich.

????? Because Ryan Leaf has been in this situation before? You lost me. If it's up to him I think he'll give it a go.

Leaf was the consumate wuss with the Chargers. Nobody wants to rekindle memories of his legacy....or lack thereof.

As much as every one of us thinks from an unbiased perspective that it's ludicrous to play a player this injured... every single one of us knows we wouldn't cry should he take a clean hit and land a little awkwardly on that banged up leg.

Well let's see... so if Rivers doesn't go, he is a gutless wimp that might lose the faith of his teammates and managment. And if he does go, he has to overcome MCL and ACL sprains in the biggest game of the year? Sounds like a win-win for San Diego. :p

Last edited:
I honestly think Volek gives them a better chance to win regardless of Rivers health.

He could start on several teams in the league.

I wish people would stop saying this about Volek. So he willfully took a backup role in SD rather than starting for some other team?

Volek had his chance to be a fulltime starter and was found wanting.

End of story. He is a career backup. That doesn't make him terrible. It just makes him a backup. And backups are backups for a reason.

I wish people would stop saying this about Volek. So he willfully took a backup role in SD rather than starting for some other team?

They traded for him. He didn't really have a choice. Of course, the Titans only got a 6th round pick in return, so it isn't like this guy is a filet mignon. He's been around the block and is experienced, but he's no Philip Rivers (if he was, he'd be starting, because Rivers isn't that good). And neither of them are Peyton Manning, the alternative to who the Patriots would be facing this week. Pick your poison, I'll take a hobbled Rivers or a healthy Volek over Peyton Manning anyday.

Last edited:
Frankly, were I a Patriots fan, I'd be BEGGING to see Rivers starting this game.

This is exactly how I'm looking at it. I'd rather see Rivers out there than a healthy Volek.

They traded for him. He didn't really have a choice. Of course, the Titans only got a 6th round pick in return, so it isn't like this guy is a filet mignon. He's been around the block and is experienced, but he's no Philip Rivers (if he was, he'd be starting, because Rivers isn't that good). And neither of them are Peyton Manning, the alternative to who the Patriots would be facing this week. Pick your poison, I'll take a hobbled Rivers or a healthy Volek over Peyton Manning anyday.

My bad. Forget about that bizarre early season trade the other year.

Listen, if he has a partially torn ACL his knee isn't going to feel "a lot better".

Only Rivers knows. Yesterday he said he was feeling a lot better.

Volek had his chance to be a fulltime starter and was found wanting.

End of story. He is a career backup. That doesn't make him terrible. It just makes him a backup. And backups are backups for a reason.

He didn't willfully go anywhere. He was traded to San Diego. ;)

Edit: Didn't see the posts above, this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case