PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Smith puts Rivers in TERRIBLE position...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole argument that Smith is trying to set up Rivers is a bit of a stretch.

To be clear, as the thread-starter it behooves me to say that is NOT the argument I'm making. I just think AJ Smith is putting his guy in a bad spot, not that it's intentional or nefarious.

Even if it IS "up to Rivers," they should NEVER say that. I'm continually amazed at how unbelievably BAD other organizations manage themselves.

i genuinely don't want to see the poor guy hobbling around the field injured. How's he supposed to even warm up. He can't jog, can he? I don't think the cold will be too conducive/therapuetic either. I feel bad for the guy. Biggest game of the season and he's nearly crippled.

They traded for him. He didn't really have a choice. Of course, the Titans only got a 6th round pick in return, so it isn't like this guy is a filet mignon. He's been around the block and is experienced, but he's no Philip Rivers (if he was, he'd be starting, because Rivers isn't that good). And neither of them are Peyton Manning, the alternative to who the Patriots would be facing this week. Pick your poison, I'll take a hobbled Rivers or a healthy Volek over Peyton Manning anyday.

No Phillip Rivers? What does that mean, that he isn't the prototype 6-5 QB with a laser rocket arm?:D

Seriously, when was the last time Rivers threw for over 400 yards in a game? The most Rivers has ever thrown for in a 16 game season was 3300 yards, in 10 starts Volek has 2700.

With the hits QBs take, I'm amazed at the ironmen durations of Favre and Manning and Brady. How do these guys stay in there for such long periods of time?

PatSox. Where is your source? I've searched the SD Union Tribune and can find nothing about it being up to Rivers.

No Phillip Rivers? What does that mean, that he isn't the prototype 6-5 QB with a laser rocket arm?:D

Seriously, when was the last time Rivers threw for over 400 yards in a game? The most Rivers has ever thrown for in a 16 game season was 3300 yards, in 10 starts Volek has 2700.

Volek has been decent/good in spot duty, but he's not capable of carrying the load throughout a full 16 game schedule. That's why I'd only label him as a good backup, and nothing more.

Last edited:
Volek has been decent/good in spot duty, but he's not capable of carrying the load throughout a full 16 game schedule. That's why I'd only label him as a good backup, and nothing more.

I can't disagree with that completely because he has never had a chance to play 16 games. But he did carry the load for 8 games in 2004 and his defense failed him. All in all I'm not saying he won't fold under pressure. His biggest disadvantage is that he hasn't been on the field to see the defenses live etc.. But I think he is a smarter more disciplined QB than Rivers and obvioulsy healthier. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have the measurements much like Flutie except he hasn't gone to Canada to give it a try.

Well let's see... so if Rivers doesn't go, he is a gutless wimp that might lose the faith of his teammates and managment. And if he does go, he has to overcome MCL and ACL sprains in the biggest game of the year? Sounds like a win-win for San Diego. :p

I read it one of two ways. Either Smith is hoping for a Willis Reed-esque situation to motivate his team of he's passing the buck. For those too young to remember the NY Knicks were playing in the NBA finals in 1970. Reed, an All Star center damaged his knee and was out for game six which his team lost, tying the series at 3 apiece. He returned for game 7, hobbling but hit two early jump shots before sitting down, but his team rallied to win the game and the championship.
If this is not the case, then Smith is passing on an important decision to avoid blowback later if Rivers claims he was healthy enough to play....You can envision that, can't you? If he goes in and can't play, then they put Volek in but hopefully, they've wasted time and opportunity that they can't get back....

Last edited:
The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has a partially torn ACL and a sprained MCL in his right knee, making him doubtful for Sunday’s playoff game.

According to an expert quoted in the story, it’s possible to play with a partially torn ACL. Chargers GM A.J. Smith said the final decision will rest with Rivers.

If he can’t go, backup Billy Volek would get the start.

That's great. Put it completely on the player as to whether or not he'll play in the biggest game of his life. What's Rivers supposed to do, beg out? This should be a TEAM decision. It's reckless and d!ck-ish of the Chargers organization to play it otherwise.

I was going to say this is all part of keeping the Patriots guessing and forcing them to prepare for two QBs... which it probably is... but there's got to be a way of doing that without throwing Rivers under the bus.

If he does have a partial ACL tear he shouldn't play. No further debate is necessary. He could end his career by trying.

i genuinely don't want to see the poor guy hobbling around the field injured. How's he supposed to even warm up. He can't jog, can he? I don't think the cold will be too conducive/therapuetic either. I feel bad for the guy. Biggest game of the season and he's nearly crippled.

I would also think that just missing practice is a big deal. Wouldn't they want to practice a couple of special plays they would want to put in for just this game-- like the hidden ball trick play to Welker? How can a team play in a conference championship game without their QB practicing, especially when that QB isn't Manning or Brady?

I was going to say this is all part of keeping the Patriots guessing and forcing them to prepare for two QBs... which it probably is... but there's got to be a way of doing that without throwing Rivers under the bus.

If he does have a partial ACL tear he shouldn't play. No further debate is necessary. He could end his career by trying.

No one can convince me that this team needs to prepare to face Billy Volek.

No one can convince me that this team needs to prepare to face Billy Volek.

I'm sure that is what the Colts coaching staff thought as well. :rolleyes:

I guess it is a good thing you aren't coaching then, huh?

The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has a partially torn ACL and a sprained MCL in his right knee, making him doubtful for Sunday’s playoff game.

According to an expert quoted in the story, it’s possible to play with a partially torn ACL. Chargers GM A.J. Smith said the final decision will rest with Rivers.

If he can’t go, backup Billy Volek would get the start.

That's great. Put it completely on the player as to whether or not he'll play in the biggest game of his life. What's Rivers supposed to do, beg out? This should be a TEAM decision. It's reckless and d!ck-ish of the Chargers organization to play it otherwise.

====================================

There is this Kid who played QB for the Ducks this year Dennis Dixon, anyway he had almost the same injury. He was a contender for the Heisman, but he agravated the injury in a huge game on national TV against AZ in the first quarter and that ended his season, along with Oregons hopes and Dixons chance at a Heisman.

I do not blame Oregons coach or Dixon for wanting to be in that game even though they both knew the risk of more serious injury. The stakes were high.

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back