PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After the minibye changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan Ryan has been more solid as CB these last two games

Perhaps I should have worded this differently....Logan Ryan has been a more consistent CB...but as others have mentioned, Butler's assignment is harder.... so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt

Perhaps I should have worded this differently....Logan Ryan has been a more consistent CB...but as others have mentioned, Butler's assignment is harder.... so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt
With the exception being Decker, Butler has been matched up with pretty much every team's #1 receiver all year long.

If you believe in the saying, "you become the best by playing the best", he certainly is on his way to being the best. :D

I don't expect a lot other than the normal "add ons" to the gameplans that always happen as the year progresses. I do expect Stork to become the starting Center, though. If they can ever get healthy I envision a middle of the OL as Kline, Stork, Mason. That gives us by far the best run blocking OL combination.

Although he was considered for a guard position, Cannon did play LT his senior year after three at RT at TCU.

If healthy, that gives me a little comfort, though i don't think quick feet is his strong point.

If we can't find a reasonable OT by the trade deadline this afternoon, is there any chance Michael Williams gets "cross-trained" at OT during the mini-bye week given his prior experience and our ever-dwindling supply of OT's? I know that the Pats like to continuously evaluate available talent, but perhaps our recent evaluation of Cam Clear (or any other available TE's that fill a need) and is the "break glass in case of emergency" scenario. He is 6'5" and 277 pounds. He is strictly a blocking TE and we could stick him on the Practice Squad. If the injury-situation does not improve, we would have a replacement option for a large blocking tight end for goal line and short yardage situations.

Mike Reiss provides an excellent summation of Williams' background here: Michael Williams' football journey leads him to New England Patriots

Logan Ryan has been more solid as CB these last two games
Oh boy could we stop debate about Ryan being better and butler not number 1 CB.
In past two games Ryan was solid, but he had safety help especially in Jets game, so Fitz probably didnt target him cause of that. It seems that Decker torched Butler but even after Decker made some catch, Butler tackles him. Butler is not Revis for sure, but he is solid CB, front 7 should create pressure.

I liked idea of Butler, Darrly Roberts and Tarrel Brown in preseason and i still think that would be top5 secondary, with Tarell and Roberts out, i like addition of Coleman and Melvin, they just need time to get into it. We ll see how BB rank them if there will be no trade for CB.

As for Ryan i still have some images of him burn in my brains, last year Packers game and SB game.

He is strictly a blocking TE and we could stick him on the Practice Squad.

I dont think he is eligible for the PS. Even if he was (is) he would still have to clear waivers.

Oh boy could we stop debate about Ryan being better and butler not number 1 CB.
In past two games Ryan was solid, but he had safety help especially in Jets game, so Fitz probably didnt target him cause of that. It seems that Decker torched Butler but even after Decker made some catch, Butler tackles him. Butler is not Revis for sure, but he is solid CB, front 7 should create pressure.

I liked idea of Butler, Darrly Roberts and Tarrel Brown in preseason and i still think that would be top5 secondary, with Tarell and Roberts out, i like addition of Coleman and Melvin, they just need time to get into it. We ll see how BB rank them if there will be no trade for CB.

As for Ryan i still have some images of him burn in my brains, last year Packers game and SB game.

Look, I'm not saying Butler is a liability. But there's a reason why he's our most targeted cornerback. Quarterbacks are trying to take advantage of his inexperience.... and I don't think he would intimidate an elite quarterback or wide receiver.

Malcolm is doing what he can to succeed... it's up to the coaching staff to determine whether he's being used effectively, and diagnose his limitations.

That's all I meant to say by "re-evaluate" and working on consistency

That's all I'll say about Butler... lest I get accused of trolling :oops:

Look, I'm not saying Butler is a liability. But there's a reason why he's our most targeted cornerback. Quarterbacks are trying to take advantage of his inexperience.... and I don't think he would intimidate an elite quarterback or wide receiver.

Malcolm is doing what he can to succeed... it's up to the coaching staff to determine whether he's being used effectively, and diagnose his limitations.

That's all I meant to say by "re-evaluate" and working on consistency
Malcolm is learning. He has whole season to learn. Why? Because we face no QB this year. So Melvin and Coleman ha plenty of time to re-evaluate.

Do u think Ryan would be better as CB1?
Do u think, Jason Mccourty, Sean Smith or Alterraun verner would be better than Malcolm.

Malcolm is learning. He has whole season to learn. Why? Because we face no QB this year. So Melvin and Coleman ha plenty of time to re-evaluate.

Do u think Ryan would be better as CB1?
Do u think, Jason Mccourty, Sean Smith or Alterraun verner would be better than Malcolm.

No and no. We all know Malcom is perfectly serviceable and competent. No one can dispute that. And I never meant to question his traits as a competitor. I am, after all, a huge fan of his (I mean, who isn't?:)) But that's what makes it painful to see him give up TDs or critical down situations.... the same way it would hurt to see Dion Lewis commit a fumble. So yeah, I'll always hope and expect the best out of Malcolm - because my expectations are really that high!

He can do better.. and with a little extra coaching and experience, I'm certain he will

Lafell did work between his first and second game, he caught some really pretty catches vs the fins.

I also think the right move would to be to allow Andrews to keep the C job and work Stork back slowly in the G rotation.
I agree. The old adage, if it works don't fix it, applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST