PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Number 2 Seed if N.E. finishes at 12-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well KC just lost to the lowly Bucs, The Broncos dodged a bullet against NO and should have lost the game. I have a feeling the Raiders will end up with the #2 seed. Don't judge the Raiders on this game alone they are a better team than what they showed tonight. Maybe not on Defense so much but they are a better offense.
Anyway we got the Ravens, Miami on the road and Denver on the road if we go 2-3 and end the season 13-3 we win HFA.

Oakland has a tougher schedule they have: panthers, Bills, Chiefs, chargers, colts, broncos

The Colts suck.

These threads are silly 6 weeks from the end of the regular season. 12-4, 13-3, 14-2 whatever. Let's worry about winning next week's game every week until we do not need to win anymore to be the #1 seed. We have no control over Oakland or KC's record, and only a little over Denver's.

Assuming the Dolphins do not run the table, and win their last 11, to end-up at 12-4:
The Patriots will root tonight for the 6-3 Houston Texans to defeat the Raiders, as NE has the tie-breaker over the Texans. This gives them the best route for the #1 Seed, as you need OAK/KC/DEN to rack-up as many losses as possible. Important also, as that would allow the Pats to lose at Denver and at Miami, to hypothetically end-up at 12-4. Houston would have to win their remaining 6 Games (unlikely) to finish at 13-3. This would leave New England as a huge favorite to be at least the No. 2 AFC Seed. Even if Oakland wins tonight (this ironically cinches NE or MIA as the No. 2 seed at an earlier point), the Raiders (7-2), Chiefs (7-3) and Broncos (7-3) have a combined 4 games each other in the their remaining games, which could result with all of the them ending at 11-5 at-best. In the event that scenario unfolds, NE could be the No. 1 Overall Seed at 12-4 (given the above low percentage chances that MIA and HOU win all their remaining games), even with losses at DEN and at MIA.

No matter what, the New England / Denver game at Mile High, will be the regular season Game-of-the-Year, which will likely give the winning team the easiest Path to SB 51>

If the Pats win all their other games then the Denver game would not matter too much unless they win all their other games also and beat us, which I don't think will happen. The AFC West like you say is going to reduce each other's records helping us. The only real threat to a New England One Seed is Oakland, and a Denver team that wins out, which I don't think will happen.

This was true last week as well. At 7-2 we were not in control of our one seed destiny either.

Yep, same story as last week.

Just more people trying to piss on the parade after a win.

Because the Pats defense is terrible. They were getting smoked by a trash Seahawks offensive line

So if your D is terrible what are the Eagles then ? What comes after terrible ?

These threads are silly 6 weeks from the end of the regular season. 12-4, 13-3, 14-2 whatever. Let's worry about winning next week's game every week until we do not need to win anymore to be the #1 seed. We have no control over Oakland or KC's record, and only a little over Denver's.

"We" have no control over anything that happens since, presumably, no one on this board is a Pats player or coach.

"We" as fans don't have to worry about overlooking today to discuss tomorrow.

If message boards only served to discuss things in the fans control it even in the team's direct control, there would be precious little to discuss.

I think anyone who follows football at all knows playoff seedings and matchups change quickly and what ends up happening in January is unlikely to match our expectations or predictions today. But, and correct me if I'm wrong here, message boards serve as a place to discuss all things, not just the things in "our" control.

Countless posts are spent discussing things outside of our control and outside of the Pats control. Most everything including injuries and offseason moves fall into that category. Hopefully you see those posts as silly too.

What I find silly is calling relevant, even if hypothetical, discussion "silly" on a discussion board.

Denver has the 'easier' schedule of all the AFC west teams. I dont see the pats or raiders winning out so lets hope we arent tied with oakland for the #1 seed and lose HFA.

The motivation should be 13-3. This will lock up home field advantage, and this in the dead of Winter.

No flight to Denver. No flight to Oakland. No flight to Kansas City.

they were 1-4, they've won their last 5 in a row.

I had no idea that the Dolphins had won 5 in a row. Least talked about winning streak in the nyjfl

I wouldn't be overly concerned if we finished in the #2 seed and had to potentially travel to KC or Oakland. Anything except another trip to Denver.

As the Giants have, to our everlasting grief, proven, it's how you're playing towards the end of the season and into January, not where you're playing in January that matters. It's not just a function of W's and L's in December, but rather the momentum a team has.

I just don't get many of the people here. They are watching one of the best teams in the league led by the GOAT QB and still prefer to get handed some gimme games in the playoffs ?

**** that I want to see greatness.
Agree 100%.

Let's not forget 2004 when they had to beat the Colts at home (OK, they destroyed them) but then play the Steelers in Pittsburg on one of the coldest nights of the year with Brady pulling an IV out of arm just to get in the game and lead them to the SB. I still remember Pal Salantonio picking against them in both games...

If we're terrified that the Pats might have to play in Denver again or anywhere else, well, we don't have the confidence in this team that we should. And, last year, after the way they closed out the Regular Season, I'll admit that my confidence wasn't off the charts for the AFCCG.

I'm not ready to put any of the remaining games in the L column, unless there's nothing to play for on New Year's Day and even then I'd rather drub the Dolphins in Miami to go into the playoffs on a rush.

I'm not as sure as you are that "no matter what" the NE/DEN game will be the game of the year. For one thing, the NE/SEA game would be hard to top, and also: Denver (7-3) plays KC (7-3) twice in its last six games. They also play the Raiders (8-2). Those are 4 very difficult games in their last 6 that could go either way, and could easily be interpreted as being more important to the 2 teams since they're in the division.

For all we know, DEN may not even make the playoffs, and if they do, it's quite possible that the loser of the NE/DEN game isn't even all that negatively affected, depending on how they perform in their other games. I'm not meaning to nitpick your point and you certainly may be right. I'm also not convinced that the Denver Broncos are the current measuring stick in 2016. Either way, it should make for some good football down the stretch run.
KC is in trouble now though. I don't expect them to win either game against Denver.

KC is in trouble now though. I don't expect them to win either game against Denver.
You don't think they can win at home in KC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents