PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC East is Best Division in Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - Here is the Pats schedule for next year. After the killer schedules in 2003 and 2004, the NFL TRIED to give the Pats a break THIS season, but it is clear from what you see below that the one year break IS OVER !!! The only good news is that the rest of the division is going have to play virtually the same schedule.

Miami 2x
New York J 2x
Buffalo 2x
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Indianapolis
San Diego
Dallas
Philadelphia
New York G
Washington

Just a couple of quick comments on the obviouis reasons why the division SHOULD get a lot better this off season

Jets- The jets will be better because their OL will get better, they have 2 very good rookies who WILL improve an already decent OL. They will be in their 2nd year with their defense. We all know that the Pats 3-4 is the most complex defense to learn and install. DRob who was a bust at DT seems to be more impactful as a NT.

Bills - It looks like Losman is finally "getting it". If he plays even decently with MaGahee and Evens the Bills will finally have a decent offense to go with their already very good defense and excellent special teams.

Dolphins - I don't know who will show up, the team that lost to Houston or the one who crushed us a couple of weeks ago. They will shore up the OL and RB slots in FA and the draft. IF they come up with a decent QB next season they could be all of the things people thought they would be this season.

BTW - I also think the Pats will be much improved next season. They will fix the WR situation. They will add size and speed to the secondary and speed and youth to the LB corp between the draft and FA. I think we will have more money under the cap than any team in the division, so I believe we WILL sign at least one Colvin type FA for the defense, most likely 2, AND keep Graham and Samuel

Bottom line This is a hellacious schedule and anything over 10 wins will be a really fine season for anyone in the division. JMHO ;)

I disagree about the Jets' prospects next season. The pitfalls of success are more difficult for a young coach/team to deal with. Pennington going 2 full seasons injury-free seems unlikely. If the team decides to go with Kellen Clemens, it will take a step back due to the fact it is Pennington's intelligence and savvy that is largely responsible for the team's offensive success. Combined with the tougher schedule due to a higher finish in the division this year, and the fact they will no longer be a surprise team, IMO this year smacks of a one year wonder project similar to Saban's miracle touch of '05. As for Miami, Saban may still leave for Alabama. If he stays, his QB situation is still so unsettled that it seems unlikely a breakout season is in the works. As for Buffalo, the sudden Losman praise is premature. His greatest success comes when he throws as seldom as possible, never the ideal formula for a franchise QB.

I disagree about the Jets' prospects next season. The pitfalls of success are more difficult for a young coach/team to deal with. Pennington going 2 full seasons injury-free seems unlikely. If the team decides to go with Kellen Clemens, it will take a step back due to the fact it is Pennington's intelligence and savvy that is largely responsible for the team's offensive success. Combined with the tougher schedule due to a higher finish in the division this year, and the fact they will no longer be a surprise team, IMO this year smacks of a one year wonder project similar to Saban's miracle touch of '05. As for Miami, Saban may still leave for Alabama. If he stays, his QB situation is still so unsettled that it seems unlikely a breakout season is in the works. As for Buffalo, the sudden Losman praise is premature. His greatest success comes when he throws as seldom as possible, never the ideal formula for a franchise QB.

I wouldn't be suprised at all either if the Jets turn out to be a one year wonder and come back down to Earth next season. Pennington is not the long term answer.

The AFC East can rightfully be called the toughest division for a number of reasons, both quantified and anecdotal.

AFC East-

has the highest number of wins by the last place team - 6
has the fewest collective losses - 25
and (obviously) the most collective wins - 31

The last place team beat the 12-2 Bears in Chicago and beat KC
The third place team beat two likely playoff teams, Jax and the Jets, while losing to SD and Indy by a combined 4 points.

Has THREE teams in the top SEVEN in total defense (points/game) in the NFL, the Jets are 13th

Has three teams in the top eight in total sacks

I wouldn't be suprised at all either if the Jets turn out to be a one year wonder and come back down to Earth next season. Pennington is not the long term answer.
Yup, like the Dolphins looked so promising last year under Saban and then came crashing down to earth this year. Happens a lot, another example being the Panthers under Dom Capers, going from 12 - 4 in 1996 to 7 - 9 in 1997. Tampa Bay under Gruden is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News