PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC East: Closing the gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jets add Faneca and Jenkins, Bills add Stroud and Mitchell, Dolphins add Pace, Ferguson, Wilford, Torbor......Is the huge gap between the 'other three' and the Pats getting smaller? Of course, we don't know yet what the Pats will do, but they've already had one major subtraction with possibly another coming and a couple of other somewhat significant losses. I've got to think there might be a trade in the works, just a feeling.

well sure, the gap is closing. but this gap is HUGE. so to say its closing, doesnt mean these teams are close yet, just means that they are getting better. you can classify it anyway you want.

Like jumping over the Grand Canyon....

Like you all wrote, the other three teams in the AFC East have big issues to solve and the patchwork they have done so far isn't going to solve anything going into 2009 but maybe pull off a few more wins. Its all about rebuilding in Miami, the Bills are nearing the end of their rebuilding and the Jets are definitely in some sort of transition.

Chime in if you like...

Miami:

- Who is the starting QB going into 2009? Beck or a rookie? If not Beck, did they waste last years second round pick?

- Outside of Ginn, do they have any receivers worth anything? They traded Chambers and Welker last year leaving Booker. Now Booker is a free agent after being released. Not a huge deal, but they signed Ernest Wilford. He's not Moss, but he's a legitimate pickup.

- Running back? Ronnie Brown can't be the answer can he? The guy was rumored to had lost his job last year to some back-up and now he is coming off injury. He's showed promise when he's not injured. The problem is he's always injured. They could draft a RB in rounds 2 or 3 this year.

- Offensive line and Tight end don't offer too much, but they are far from the worst in the league.... easily worst in the division. Agreed

- Linebackers are in flux. The one thing the Dolphins could always count on is their defense. Now with Zach gone (not missed after being hurt last year), Taylor's future in question and the lack of quality to step in to replace them, It might very well be a sore spot on that defense. Sounds like they're just getting journeymen here for now. I see them having a fairly strong draft this year and next, and being decent after that.

Bills:

- Losman in or is he out? Trent Edwards looks like he is primed to take over and make Losman a back up, but what Edwards will have going into his second season will be in question. He could really boom or send the franchise looking for another QB. No point in keeping JP around. Losman is definitely on the way out. The QB carousel was last year. Edwards is the starter period, barring injury. Most people expect them to trade Losman and get another backup QB to mentor Edwards.

- Marshawn Lynch looked good last year. He got a bit banged up, but has Wright to back him up. Actually, Fred Jackson will back up Lynch. Wright might get a few carries next year, though. Lynch is a beast.

- Receivers had a rough season, but should come back strong with some consistancy at QB and with the offensive scheme. Career year for Lee Evans? Isn't his contract up soon? They need new receivers. They have Evans, but anyone else is a #3 at best. But it's easy enough for them to sign Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett, then draft another WR. They should improve greatly in this area next year. Evans will be in his contract year, barring an extension.

- 2007 was they year they really focused on the offensive line. They also boosted their secondary to fix the loss of Clements. I think the secondary will be strong and the 2008 signings on defense will make for a tough team. Overall the team is a sleeper with potential resting on the shoulders of Trent Edwards because I really think the defense is primed. The O-line isn't great in run blocking, but they did very well in pass protection. Their secondary could use a playmaker at CB, but they're fairly solid. They're shoring up the D-line in FA, and I expect them to draft a rotational DE as well. They didn't get any big names, but they did well at getting solid guys to fill in.

I definitely agree with your analysis in general. I don't have much to say about the Jets, haha, don't care much about them. Good job. I think Buffalo just needs to fill a few holes, given that they have zero starters leaving this year (well, they released Tripplett, but that's no big deal). They're pretty well set for this coming year and even the year after that. Only a couple key people to re-sign.

I actually think with a solid draft that we could indeed be a pretty good team next year. We've already filled our 2 biggest holes with pro-bowlers. We have some young very talented young players who will only get better (Harris, Revis, Brick, Mangold, Leon etc.)
The X-factor is the QB, whether it's Clemens or Chad they have to be solid. I think Pennington (vs That schedule) could win us 9-10 games however when he comes up against an elite defence he will struggle as he normally does. I'm not confident in Clemens at all, hopefully he can prove me wrong and light it up next year but really can't see that happening.
Our running game will be much improved with Faneca and defensively we would be very solid if we could find a pass rush (Hopefully we draft Gholston).

I wouldn't rule us out yet, The Jets have always been the sort of team that overachieve when they're expected to be bad and underachieve when we're meant to be contenders.

The Jets will do good enough to get Mangini fired LOL

The Jets will do good enough to get Mangini fired LOL

even if we went 4-12 next year Mangini would not get canned. We did not even get rid of Herm when he should of got fired instead he just left. This season is also an even numbered year so were a lock for the playoffs:D

Last edited:
I definitely agree with your analysis in general. I don't have much to say about the Jets, haha, don't care much about them. Good job. I think Buffalo just needs to fill a few holes, given that they have zero starters leaving this year (well, they released Tripplett, but that's no big deal). They're pretty well set for this coming year and even the year after that. Only a couple key people to re-sign.

Even if we assume Stroud, Mitchell, (and even Johnson) transform the Bills into a top 10 D, they still need to make huge strides on offense before they become a worry, imo.

Trent Edwards showed flashes, but not enough to suggest he'a likely to make the jump to top 10 QB next year. As it stands they still have nobody opposite Evans, and Evans himself is still wildly inconsistent.

They're on the right track, but it seems we've been saying that about Buffalo every single off-season beginning with the Drew Bledsoe trade.

Even if we assume Stroud, Mitchell, (and even Johnson) transform the Bills into a top 10 D, they still need to make huge strides on offense before they become a worry, imo.

Trent Edwards showed flashes, but not enough to suggest he'a likely to make the jump to top 10 QB next year. As it stands they still have nobody opposite Evans, and Evans himself is still wildly inconsistent.

They're on the right track, but it seems we've been saying that about Buffalo every single off-season beginning with the Drew Bledsoe trade.

Oh, Buffalo definitely needs to do something about their offense. But they are doing something. They're looking into signing Bryant Johnson (not a big deal, but he's better than what they have now), as well as a TE (Crumpler, Ben Troupe), and I can guarantee they will draft a WR in one of the first two rounds. They're also going back to the FB approach, which should help imo.

Trent Edwards has potential, and their season depends a lot on how he does. He's solid with pass protection, which the Bills' O-line can give him. He might not be top ten next year, but he may not have to be - he might only need to be a game manager.

Evans is wildly inconsistent imo because he's the only receiving threat they really have.

I didn't follow football too closely until last offseason, so I can't say how Buffalo was viewed after the Bledsoe trade. But I know fans truly believe the Bills are on the right track for the first time in a long time. The last two drafts have provided solid contributors on both sides of the ball as starters and backups. Free agency isn't being used as a complete and total solution - just to fill holes that the draft might not be able to fill. They've got a good approach now.

Buffalo won't win the AFC East or anything. But they'll be more competitive than last year, especially with certain key players coming back from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft