PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: Not realistic for Gronk to be ready week 1

Word was that he got the day off. Not injury related. A rest day.

Oh, so in your opinion it isn't related to the potential concussion?

Either way it doesn't sound too bad.

I think he can practice on pup just not with team. So he can work out etc.

I think he can practice on pup just not with team. So he can work out etc.

Well, he's been working out...but that's entirely different than getting into football shape and actually practicing with the team.

He cannot take part in anything other than working out, so the ability to run actual routes and get back into football shape with pads etc is enormous.

Well, he's been working out...but that's entirely different than getting into football shape and actually practicing with the team.

He cannot take part in anything other than working out, so the ability to run actual routes and get back into football shape with pads etc is enormous.

Even if he did go on PUP...i don't see an issue with getting in shape with him. He is a beast. Knows the system ect but i know what you mean

Just read a report on the home page saying that Gronk could be ready by week 3.

Even if he did go on PUP...i don't see an issue with getting in shape with him. He is a beast. Knows the system ect but i know what you mean

I think the main thing we should be looking at is the practicing factor. I don't want to have to wait 2 1/2 months from today to see Gronk practice and put the pads on.

The second factor would obviously be: "Is he actually going to need to miss 6+ games?"

The third would be Belichick's personal feelings as to whether or not we can afford to keep him on the active roster, but all reports are that he's progressing enough to where he should be able to practice within the next 2-3 weeks.

Just read a report on the home page saying that Gronk could be ready by week 3.

I think part of that is that he's obviously not going to be ready for week #1 since he hasn't even been able to practice yet, and the other part is that our first two games are within 4 days of each other--which kind of rules out the second game right off the bat.

Game #3 is a realistic expectation since it doesn't occur until Sept.22nd and is also at home.

I'm thinking Bill Needs to talk to you on how to properly bring Gronk back in the most efficient manner for optimum team impact.. :cool:

Can you help?

No need to rush him back until the stretch run.

Karen Guregian is reporting that her sources are saying he is on schedule for a mid-September return to the field and it appears the Pats are targeting week three or four for Gronk's return barring setback:

According to a source, Gronk is doing very well in his rehabilliation from back and forearm surgeries performed in May and June. He's "right on schedule" for a mid-September return. In fact, he's healed and advanced to the point where he would be close to playing Week 1 in Buffalo, the source said.

However, the more realistic time frame for him to be ready and in "football shape" would be shortly after, right around Game 3 against Tampa Bay assuming there are no setbacks. Now, if that's the case, it would seem unlikely the Pats would keep the tight end on the physically unable to perform list, which is currently where he resides. Having him stay on PUP would guarantee he misses the first six games. Given the timetable laid out, unless the Pats go the overly-cautious route, it would appear they'd take him off the PUP list, with thoughts of having him as early as Game 3, or perhaps Game 4 in Atlanta.

- See more at: The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

Really don't see why you would want to rush Gronk. Its not how soon he comes back that matters; its his availability in good health in December/January. I say he starts on PUP-- and spends time getting to full strength.

Really don't see why you would want to rush Gronk. Its not how soon he comes back that matters; its his availability in good health in December/January. I say he starts on PUP-- and spends time getting to full strength.

What does rushing him back have to do with the pup?

How can someone get into full strength (which we all know means football strength) if he cant play football?

I'm thinking Bill Needs to talk to you on how to properly bring Gronk back in the most efficient manner for optimum team impact.. :cool:

Can you help?

So you'd think that putting him on PUP where he wouldn't be able to practice with the team for another 9-10 weeks would be a proper move then?

Why would that be when all reports state that he should be practicing in another couple weeks? Why keep him out for 6 games plus when he should be just fine playing by the end of September, therefore only missing 2-3?

I stated a fully acceptable level of reasoning. If you don't understand that staying on PUP means that you are not able to practice with the team, then I'm not sure what to tell you? This isn't about just missing games, it's about not being able to practice and get used to being in pads, taking hits, etc.

What does rushing him back have to do with the pup?

How can someone get into full strength (which we all know means football strength) if he cant play football?

People seem to want to take an overly cautious approach to Gronk for some reason, when they don't seem to fully remember that the recent arm surgery took place quite awhile ago and has certainly fully healed by now. Hasn't it been another almost 3 months or so?

This is about his back, and if he's able to practice and only miss a couple/few games then it's an obvious no-brainer. We don't have a problem with roster spots in relation to Rob Gronkowski.

From what all of the reports state, they've already been pretty damn cautious with him already, so hopefully he'll be back practicing within the next 2 weeks and then be able to play in about 5 weeks on Sept.22nd. Five more weeks is a pretty long time. It's not like anyone's talking about "rushing" him back.

BB will not PUP him he will be on injury report as questionable every week until he's ready to play

PUP would be better for Gronk and the team. If there is one thing that is predictable about the Patriots is that they brings guys back too soon from injury; these players spend the rest of the season as part of the walking wounded with a lingering injury. You don't hear about it until the end of the season, but it happens a lot.

Schefter over playing it once again. This isn't a tough decision for me. He's either going to be ready or he isn't. There have been conflicting reports which state he could be ready for the first game or even the third...what do you choose to believe?

If there's the remotest chance he comes back in six weeks you keep him on the roster. No brainer.

PUP is not necessarily the 'best' option as some like to put it. Whenever he comes back, he will need to get back to game fitness. Whether that be week seven or onwards after he has been placed on PUP or after weeks one through to six, he will be in the same boat.

I'd sooner have him available than not.

Just throwing him on PUP to have him ready for the stretch run is only logically sound if there wasn't a chance of him getting injured after he's off PUP. But, this is football. There's always a chance of injury. If he can practice, let him practice with the team to get back in game shape and just hold him out of game action until you get the all clear. If he's not healthy enough to even practice for six weeks or less, then PUP him.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back