PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ABC News: Did Divine Intervention Help Tom Brady Sunday Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the exact same way about those that just blindly follow the pack while no one in the history of ever has even once provided one shred of anything resembling proof that any of it was real. It's estimated there are 4200 religions on earth so even if there was a god, chances are slim that whoever's parents selected the correct god for them.

It's not the fault of others that you either don't understand what "one shred of anything resembling proof" actually means, or you post that knowing that you're being disingenuous. There's plenty of proof that God exists. What you really mean is that you find the current proof insufficient for you.

There's plenty of proof that God exists.
2383228-9090959116-wtf-d.jpg

My theory is that we're just a bunch of bald talking monkies who like to think we know a lot more than we really do. I also think that using a platform that holds the cumulative knowledge of our species, affords global simultaneous collaboration, and something that truly is our greatest advent to debate beliefs over whose version of Odin is better kinda confirms this. We're naturally curious little buggers and intrinsically desire to have all the answers. Really, I think finding as many answers and solutions as possible is really the point of life. I also think that assuming they're all contained in scrolls written on animal skins by cavemen two thousand years ago kinda defeats the purpose. There's probably truth in both sides of the spectrum and the only valid standpoint is to acknowledge that it's truly impossible to know for certain. What I do know is that for 100% certain anyone who does claim to have all the answers is full of ****. In the meantime, let's all just be cool to each other and not call the pious western versions of Sharia Law supporters and not call atheists know-it-all neckbeards.

So how bout them Bills huh? :)

Why dont you religious people just offer up some proof your brand of god actually exists and put an end to this argument?

{In a calm tone}

You must know that question will go nowhere?

I could respond: "Prove to me God does not exist anywhere in the Universe." Even Richard Dawkins says he can't answer that question.

Faith, belief, creed, whatever you want to call it....none of us have all the answers, so we have a belief on the things we don't have courtroom type proof of.

I don't get bent out of shape everytime someone declares everything was created without a being or some kind of intelligence, so what's the big deal on this Brady story?

Faith, belief, creed, whatever you want to call it....none of us have all the answers, so we have a belief on the things we don't have courtroom type proof of.

Exactly. My metaphysics are more complicated than a simple label (like Marx, Nietschze, post-theists, and deconstructive religionists I reject the dichotomy between religion and atheism) but the probabilistic nature of the scientific method means that you cannot disprove the existence of something, only state with a given certainty the likelihood that a phenomenon does not exist within a given context.

Ultimately, in my mind, less important than the content or extent of your exact metaphysical beliefs are the actions you take as a result of said beliefs. New Atheists like Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Bill Maher (whose pop-philosophy metaphysics are frankly as lacking in nuance and intellectual rigor as those of their opponents) act as bigoted as many of their fundamentalist religious opponents.

Dinosaurs.

Exactly. My metaphysics are more complicated than a simple label (like Marx, Nietschze, post-theists, and deconstructive religionists I reject the dichotomy between religion and atheism) but the probabilistic nature of the scientific method means that you cannot disprove the existence of something, only state with a given certainty the likelihood that a phenomenon does not exist within a given context.

Ultimately, in my mind, less important than the content or extent of your exact metaphysical beliefs are the actions you take as a result of said beliefs. New Atheists like Dawkins,

Dawkins gives atheists a bad name. There's thousands of scientists, a disproportionate (relative to society) amount are agnostic or atheists, and then there's a few A-Holes like Dawkins. I wish he were not associated with atheism.

FWIW, I wouldn't describe myself as an atheist either. My views are best described by a good Richard Feynman quote:

Feyman: I don't have to prove it. I only say: "Look, I don't know that there is a God; I just don't think there is one."

Q: That makes you an agnostic.

Feynman: No, no, no, no, no....That's too refined. There's always an edge. What I mean is this: the probability that the theory of God, the ordinary theory, is right, to my mind is extremely low. That's all. That's the way I look at it.

Since I've adopted this view, I've found the world to make a lot more sense, and feel much more connected to the rest of our species that took the same wild 14 billion year journey from inanimate particles to cognizant beings.

Atheism/agnosticism does not need to devolve into nihilism. Whether there was design to the universe or not (debatable, and science can weigh in on that matter), and whether we were its purpose (this I would say is a no), we can see our lives have meaning to ourselves and those around us. Science provides reason to feel the same sense of wonder over existence, bond to fellow man/woman, and a sense of our place in the universe, that religion is supposed - but often fails - to achieve. I agree that none of us know all the answers. But there's a field that's been stockpiling answers as best they can, and working towards getting more and more, and it's called science. Then there's the notion that human intuition was able to provide the answer thousands of years ago. A lot of religion falls into the latter.

Unfortunately - as far as I'm concerned - the more rational and level-headed atheist/agnostic scientists tend to stay quieter on these issues, unless prompted. The ones that want to take down religion (Dawkins) fall into the same traps as a devotee of one religion trying to do away with another.

My theory is that we're just a bunch of bald talking monkies who like to think we know a lot more than we really do. I also think that using a platform that holds the cumulative knowledge of our species, affords global simultaneous collaboration, and something that truly is our greatest advent to debate beliefs over whose version of Odin is better kinda confirms this. We're naturally curious little buggers and intrinsically desire to have all the answers. Really, I think finding as many answers and solutions as possible is really the point of life. I also think that assuming they're all contained in scrolls written on animal skins by cavemen two thousand years ago kinda defeats the purpose. There's probably truth in both sides of the spectrum and the only valid standpoint is to acknowledge that it's truly impossible to know for certain. What I do know is that for 100% certain anyone who does claim to have all the answers is full of ****. In the meantime, let's all just be cool to each other and not call the pious western versions of Sharia Law supporters and not call atheists know-it-all neckbeards.
Dumbfounded-gif.gif

How on Earth did I miss your post?!

Welcome back buddy. Hope all is well.

Forces of evil in a bozo nightmare
Banned all the music with a phony gas chamber
'Cuz one's got a weasel
And the other's got a flag
One's on the pole, shove the other in a bag
With the rerun shows
And the cocaine nose-job
The daytime crap of the folksinger slop
He hung himself with a guitar string
Slap the turkey-neck
And it's hanging' from a pigeon wing
You can't write if you can't relate
Trade the cash for the beef
For the body for the hate
And my time is a piece of wax
Falling' on a termite
Who's choking' on the splinters

:D;)

Great!

Let's also talk abortion and gay marriage while we're at it. I'm sure we can hash these out and come up with some kind of consensus that makes everyone here feel good.

We're mostly all American's right? We should be able to talk politics here on the main forum without getting out of control?

Have you seen how.. scary the Political Discussion subforum is? Do you really want to unlock Harry Boy's padded room and have him out here posting in our football forums?

My point is not that talking religion and politics is a bad thing, but there is a time and place to do so.

I'm sure that we agree this isn't the place for talking religion, but it's difficult to separate that from football in this case. The story is about Brady and Divine Intervention.

I don't visit the political forum any more, but I always liked Harry's posts.

My point is not that talking religion and politics is a bad thing, but there is a time and place to do so.

My experience with that automotive forum, a few ONLY ranted on those hot topics and a "invitation only" forum was set up as it was too upsetting...some were making sure the thread titles were provocative. Interestingly, once their ranting was shielding from most members, many of them dropped out. Just to say there will be a few that discuss only religion, politics or both and don't tolerate much those that don't agree with them, which is often the vast majority of the world. At that point, a thin line separates them from trollers - maybe they are trollers.

Red flags go up in my mind when any individual is OCD on one topic.

Last edited:
He probably shouldn't have attended that satanic Black Mass before the KC game. Glad Father Flanagan could straighten everything out.

so, the guy with no arms working as a bell ringer in the tower of the local monastery falls to his death one afternoon...a crowd gathers and a cop, Sgt. Flynn Flanagan, shows up and asks the abbott..

aye, father...and would ye happen to know the name of this poor wee lad?...

Father Further thinks about it for a minute and replies.

..I'm sorry,officer Flanagan...I do not....BUT...his face rings a bell....(rim shot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News