PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ABC News: Did Divine Intervention Help Tom Brady Sunday Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the words of the famous comedian Artie Lange "Waaaaaahh". Wow your jimmies are easily rustled and it's hilarious.
You take yourself and your interneting way too seriously. WE'RE HERE! WE'RE QUEER!" GET USED TO IT!" no homo haha Not going to argue with a zealot. Should have just mocked religion like 20 the posts without quoting you and you wouldnt have been able to jump on your soap box.

Tim Tebow is not on the team any longer.
Good luck. It's been real.

I'm going to take the advice of the forum know it all and put this thread on ignore.
I am very well aware Tebow is not on the team anymore. Matthew Slater is a Christian and he's on the Patriots still. Tom Brady is a catholic and is still on the Patriots. Regardless we root for whatever teams we want to.

Although Tebow isn't in the NFL anymore. He's not the only Christian who is either a former or current player in the NFL. Every team in the NFL team has at least one player who is Christian, so I am not sure what your point in brining up that Tebow's not on the team anymore. There are plenty of catholics and Christians in the NFL still. http://www.cbn.com/tv/1424555920001

Of corse there are plenty of atheists in the NFL and that fine too.

I like different sports, different players, and I have varying interests in different things as you probably do as well.

Last edited:
To me I see that as religous intelorence

I don't approve of the way larryo is going about his debate with you.

But I have to jump in here and try to explain what otherwise would be an atheist/materialist/agnostic viewpoint, because I don't think larryo is doing it justice, and I think you'll probably get a bunch of likes for that post without people really thinking it through. What you have to understand is that there's nothing an atheist can say about your religion or anyone else's that won't come off as intolerant or disrespectful. It's why I tend to refrain from jumping in these debates, because I have nothing to offer without offending someone.

The natural response is then probably - if you don't have something nice to say, why say it? Most often, I don't. But unfortunately, religious belief - generally motivated by something good - ends up having far less innocuous ramifications. So, generally I do think more criticism of religion would be a good thing - and that it should not be beyond reproach, gently protected under the unassailable category "personal beliefs". In fact, I think one of the most important things mankind needs to do going forward should it want to continue its existence is to detach itself from the religious mindset and moving towards a scientific one. The inability to truly see our place in the scope of the cosmos is probably a main factor in how easy it was for us to start polluting our planet and not giving a crap. People who so-called wage-war against religion, specifically in the name of science, are not doing it to just hear themselves talk. They do it because they think its important for the progress of humankind.

And if you are going to go into every thread and at some point attribute the outcome of some event of the natural world to a supernatural God and praise that God, there are going to be people who criticize that (at times, I will probably be one of them depending upon whether I feel like self-indulgently taking a break from work). And you should expect that. And maybe you shouldn't care, but it's going to happen. And it happens in a lot of threads you go into. I guess what I'm getting at, if you can't help from bringing religion into nearly every football post you have, you really shouldn't be incredulous at the thread getting derailed. Because if you have a right to bring Christianity to a thread, an atheist has the right to bring atheism to the thread. It would not be fair for it to be a one-sided discussion.

To me, if we want to talk football, let's just talk football and not bring up religion at all.

I don't approve of the way larryo is going about his debate with you.

But I have to jump in here and try to explain what otherwise would be an atheist/materialist/agnostic viewpoint, because I don't think larryo is doing it justice, and I think you'll probably get a bunch of likes for that post without people really thinking it through. What you have to understand is that there's nothing an atheist can say about your religion or anyone else's that won't come off as intolerant or disrespectful. It's why I tend to refrain from jumping in these debates, because I have nothing to offer without offending someone.

The natural response is then probably - if you don't have something nice to say, why say it? Most often, I don't. But unfortunately, religious belief - generally motivated by something good - ends up having far less innocuous ramifications. So, generally I do think more criticism of religion would be a good thing - and that it should not be beyond reproach, gently protected under the unassailable category "personal beliefs". In fact, I think one of the most important things mankind needs to do going forward should it want to continue its existence is to detach itself from the religious mindset and moving towards a scientific one. The inability to truly see our place in the scope of the cosmos is probably a main factor in how easy it was for us to start polluting our planet and not giving a crap. People who so-called wage-war against religion, specifically in the name of science, are not doing it to just hear themselves talk. They do it because they think its important for the progress of humankind.

And if you are going to go into every thread and at some point attribute the outcome of some event of the natural world to a supernatural God and praise that God, there are going to be people who criticize that (at times, I will probably be one of them depending upon whether I feel like self-indulgently taking a break from work). And you should expect that. And maybe you shouldn't care, but it's going to happen. And it happens in almost every thread you go into. I guess what I'm getting at, if you can't help from bringing religion into nearly every football post you have, you really shouldn't be incredulous at the thread getting derailed. Because if you have a right to bring Christianity to a thread, an atheist has the right to bring atheism to the thread. It would not be fair for it to be a one-sided discussion.

To me, if we want to talk football, let's just talk football and not bring up religion at all.
I am sure that there are plenty of atheists on the boards who don't go around putting down those who are religous. Just like their are plenty of poster on the board who are religous who don't put down atheists.

Also there are plenty of ways atheists can post in threads like this without attacking someone of a different set of beliefs and vice versa.

If someone like myself wants to post about about divine intervention and my personal beliefs on the issue that is fine as I am not personally attacking anyone. Just like atheists could post about how such and such is not due to Devine intervention as long as they aren't attacking anyone

Last edited:
...People who so-called wage-war against religion, specifically in the name of science, are not doing it to just hear themselves talk. They do it because they think its important for the progress of humankind...

They do it because they're sick twists.

They do it because they're sick twists.

DI, that really couldn't be farther from the truth.

Certainly there are A-Hole atheists who go around trashing religion for the sake of doing it, just as there are A-Hole Christians who go around trashing Judaism and Islam. It all comes from the same place.

But likewise there are a lot of thoughtful and insightful criticisms of religion, and if you are going to ignore them all, now that would be intolerance.

DI, that really couldn't be farther from the truth.

Certainly there are A-Hole atheists who go around trashing religion for the sake of doing it, just as there are A-Hole Christians who go around trashing Judaism and Islam. It all comes from the same place.

But likewise there are a lot of thoughtful and insightful criticisms of religion, and if you are going to ignore them all, now that would be intolerance.

No, it really is the truth, and your last sentence is not what I responded to, so you're trying to set up a false defense. Waging war against religion is a far cry from mild criticisms, after all.

No, it really is the truth.

So, you are saying there are a grand total of 0 people in the world right now capable of spreading a scientific mindset over a religious one for any reason other than self-indulgence? Come on, DI, be reasonable.

I agree that a football forum is not a place to attack a religion, but it's also not really a place to constantly enshrine it in the heart of all one's posts.

I hear you.

I think most hear know where I am on religion with only an occasional mention. And I'm fine that other fine members have different beliefs.

So, you are saying there are a grand total of 0 people in the world right now capable of spreading a scientific mindset over a religious one for any reason other than self-indulgence? Come on, DI, be reasonable.

I'm saying that the atheists who "wage war" against religion are sick twists.

BTW, if we're going to pretend that you were basing your comment in science, let's note that studies have found a link between atheism and disorders along the autism spectrum (i.e. Asperger's).

What's sad is that none of this discussion needed to happen. The bitter atheists could have just put the thread on ignore, and this thread could just have been left to die after Larry's earlier idiotic post.

I suggest we move on.

I'm saying that the atheists who "wage war" against religion are sick twists.

BTW, if we're going to pretend that you were basing your comment in science, let's note that studies have found a link between atheism and disorders along the autism spectrum (i.e. Asperger's).

That's ridiculous. Yes, all atheists are autistic. Yes, Stephen Hawking, Sean Carroll, Steven Weinberg and the like are just dummies.

That's ridiculous. Yes, all atheists are autistic. Yes, Stephen Hawking, Sean Carroll, Steven Weinberg and the like are just dummies.

Ok, since you can't just let this die:

Where did I say ALL atheists are autistic?

When you find that I didn't say that, I want an apology from you for deliberately falsifying my position.

I suggest we move on.

Very well. I just hope that people - whether you want to be one of them or not - realize not all atheists are just trolling, and that there is a reason to promote it at the expense of religion. There is something at stake.

Ok, since you can't just let this die:

Where did I say ALL atheists are autistic?

When you find that I didn't say that, I want an apology from you for deliberately falsifying my position.

Well, I am sorry - I did not intend to falsify your position. I intended to use rather obvious hyperbole. If that wasn't obvious, my mistake. You cited a study that I think has zero bearing on the conversation, so I responded with something that didn't take it seriously.

Well, I am sorry - I did not intend to falsify your position. I intended to use rather obvious hyperbole. If that wasn't obvious, my mistake. You cited a study that I think has zero bearing on the conversation, so I responded with something that didn't take it seriously.

No, you weren't just using hyperbole. You were trying to take a non-issue and turn it into one by deliberately misstating my position.

And of course the study has bearing on the conversation. That's not even debatable, since you were denying my "sick twist" comment.

No, you weren't just using hyperbole. You were trying to take a non-issue and turn it into one by deliberately misstating my position.

And of course the study has bearing on the conversation. That's not even debatable, since you were denying my "sick twist" comment.

Suffice it to say, I don't think that study undermines atheism, and I think it's a stretch for someone to use it do so.

Suffice it to say, I don't think that study undermines atheism, and I think it's a stretch for someone to use it do so.

And, yet again, you try to mislead about what I wrote. Where did I say that the study undermines atheism?

That's now two deliberate lies you've made about my position.

Let it go.

And, yet again, you try to mislead about what I wrote. Where did I say that the study undermines atheism?

Very well, I only assumed. I'm sorry. Why did you think it relevant then?

Just like a poster in this thread earlier misstated my position by trying to say that I knew where Catholics were headed to. Even though I never said anything about where Catholics were headed to. Matter fact I never said a negative thing about Catholics. Yet certain posters clamored to give that posts likes because it was belittling, mocking, and misrepresenting the stance of the Christian viewpoint from a poster like myself.

Last edited:
Very well, I only assumed. I'm sorry. Why did you think it relevant then?

You didn't assume. You lied.

Huge difference.

Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back