PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Hernandez as the big physical WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is NOTHING PHYSICAL about Hernandez see ] last Ravens game.:mad:

We all saw what Anquan Boldin did in the playoffs, and it suggests that the Pats sure could use a big and physical WR. Instead of spending big $$ getting one, however, perhaps Aaron Hernandez could fill that role. We know he's a gifted receiver and a tremendous athlete. But here are his measurables compared to other big receivers (all data from: 2013 NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com):

Name - Height - Weight - best 40 time
A. Hernandez - 6'3" - 245 lbs - 4.53
A. Boldin - 6'1" - 216 lbs - 4.72
L. Fitzgerald - 6'3" - 225 lbs - 4.42
M. Colston - 6'5" - 224 lbs - 4.50
C. Johnson - 6'5" - 239 lbs - 4.32
V. Jackson - 6'5" - 241 lbs - 4.46
P. Burress - 6'6" - 231 lbs - 4.59
B. Marshall - 6'5" - 229 lbs - 4.52
A. Johnson - 6'2" - 230 lbs - 4.40
AJ Green - 6'4" - 211 lbs - 4.48
D. Bowe - 6'2" - 221 lbs - 4.49
J. Jones - 6'3" - 220 lbs - 4.32
J. Nelson - 6'3" - 217 lbs - 4.45
H. Nicks - 6'1" - 212 lbs - 4.42

He would not have average speed for a big WR, but he wouldn't be the slowest of this group, either. And this is a list of excellent WRs. He's not a great blocker for a TE, but for a WR, he'd immediately jump to the top of this list. A lineup of Amendola and Hernandez wide, and Gronk and Ballard as TEs would give the Pats tremendous blocking with effectively 3 TEs (one blocking on a DB), and it would give the Pats a big outside target in Hernandez.

Holy crap, Boldin isn't exactly fast.

You have a point.

There is NOTHING PHYSICAL about Hernandez see ] last Ravens game.:mad:

At least you didn't bother to try and claim Pitta is better this time. I guess that counts as improvement.

A lineup of Amendola and Hernandez wide, and Gronk and Ballard as TEs would give the Pats tremendous blocking with effectively 3 TEs (one blocking on a DB), and it would give the Pats a big outside target in Hernandez.

So we're going to take our slot receiver and our TE and line them up wide outside? That doesn't sound too good to me.

I think you have a point in saying that Hernandez already switches around a bit, and that both he and Amendola will likely see some differing routes of variation and try for some unpredictability at times, but I certainly don't see both of them lining up wide outside which would weaken 2 positions and take away from their strengths.

Belichick is a master of playing to a player's strengths, not taking away from them. On top of that Hernandez is hardly what I'd call a "physical" receiver. If anything that's a major weakness that we saw, particularly last season.

We will have to seek an outside WR in the draft, and add another one via free agency. We may also retain Llyod, we'll know in the next day or two. On top of that we may re-sign Edelman and use him lined up outside again, as ineffective as he's been he is still a developmental receiver for sure.

So we're going to take our slot receiver and our TE and line them up wide outside? That doesn't sound too good to me.

I think you have a point in saying that Hernandez already switches around a bit, and that both he and Amendola will likely see some differing routes of variation and try for some unpredictability at times, but I certainly don't see both of them lining up wide outside which would weaken 2 positions and take away from their strengths.

Belichick is a master of playing to a player's strengths, not taking away from them. On top of that Hernandez is hardly what I'd call a "physical" receiver. If anything that's a major weakness that we saw, particularly last season.

We will have to seek an outside WR in the draft, and add another one via free agency. We may also retain Llyod, we'll know in the next day or two. On top of that we may re-sign Edelman and use him lined up outside again, as ineffective as he's been he is still a developmental receiver for sure.

Edelman and Amendola on the field at the same time would be an interesting proposition. Durability jokes aside, if they play to their potential it would be a very annoying, very flexible, very quick lineup.

Still prefer a true #1

Edelman and Amendola on the field at the same time would be an interesting proposition. Durability jokes aside, if they play to their potential it would be a very annoying, very flexible, very quick lineup.

Still prefer a true #1

I really liked what Edelman was doing around Thanksgiving last year, but then he did what we may as well know him best for at this point, got hurt.

IF both these guys can stay healthy (assuming we sign edelman), it will give us some flexibilty we didn't have, but to this point, neither has done that and we're all banking on guys labled with "potential".

I really liked what Edelman was doing around Thanksgiving last year, but then he did what we may as well know him best for at this point, got hurt.

IF both these guys can stay healthy (assuming we sign edelman), it will give us some flexibilty we didn't have, but to this point, neither has done that and we're all banking on guys labled with "potential".

I think Edelman will turn it around this year if he comes back. He definitely 'got it' this year as a WR, just unfortunately was injured. If he kept up his play I don't think Lloyd would have kept his #2 stop for long.

I'm not sure why the offense stalled when Edelman was playing early in the season, but I think that was more on Hernandez not playing Welker's routes well, since Edelman was more on the outside.

I love the idea of retaining Edelman myself. Not only does it allow him to see some different routes maybe, but it also allows him to continue developing as a receiver. Remember that he and Brady worked extensively last spring out in California. On top of that, I really want BOTH Amendola and Edelman on the roster as potential slot guys, just in case Amendola goes down for a few games. That isn't even bringing up his obvious contributions on ST. I truly believe that we have a stud punt returner who is capable of bringing at least one punt to the house every single year.

Off topic--I know you said you were in Kuwait, so thanks again for keeping idiots like myself safe who don't have the balls to do what you're doing (hey, just being honest and poking some fun at myself in the meantime). God Bless and return home safely.

I love the idea of retaining Edelman myself. Not only does it allow him to see some different routes maybe, but it also allows him to continue developing as a receiver. Remember that he and Brady worked extensively last spring out in California. On top of that, I really want BOTH Amendola and Edelman on the roster as potential slot guys, just in case Amendola goes down for a few games. That isn't even bringing up his obvious contributions on ST. I truly believe that we have a stud punt returner who is capable of bringing at least one punt to the house every single year.

Off topic--I know you said you were in Kuwait, so thanks again for keeping idiots like myself safe who don't have the balls to do what you're doing (hey, just being honest and poking some fun at myself in the meantime). God Bless and return home safely.

Haha, it doesn't take a lot to do what our mission is in Kuwait, the only difficulty in it is being away from friends and family, otherwise it's more like a buisiness trip. I appreciate the kind words none-the-less.

Back on topic - I absolutely agree on Edelman as a backup for Amendola in addition to his punt returning, as has been stated many times he is one of the best punt returners in the NFL, him and Washington would be a nice 1-2 punch in the return game we've been lacking.

Seems like addressing the issue by depleting another strength rather than bolstering the position with a true WR. I agree with splitting him out at times but have become disabused of the notion of trying to make him into a WR and losing his explosiveness at TE.

At least you didn't bother to try and claim Pitta is better this time. I guess that counts as improvement.

ct I hope you got over your Welker fix lol.

Very true...

Hernandez is NOT a boundary player.

He is not particularly fast, nor particularly physical. His extremely quick.

In the middle of the field, where the defender doesn't have "leverage" and he can go either left or right, he is a terror. Give the defender a sideline to work with and he'll be pretty useless.

So no.

Agree.

I think AH will be the slot and DA will be a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back