PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Patriots Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm giving this a bump. A really great read found by a respected poster that hasn't generated the discussion I believe it could.

I get a kick out of the fact he refers to Philly as "down there" already.

Stallworth's good people, and we NE fans will soon learn that.

Brain Westbrook was on NFL network last night and he said (paraphrasing) that he would really miss Stallworth and that he really helped their offense and would be missed. I like Westbrook a lot and I think he would fit on the Patriots well and is a great team guy so that made me feel better about Stallworth since he wasn't asked about him but came forward with it on his own unprompted.

Pires does a nice job. Bump-worthy, for sure.

Although it invariably comes out sounding like a back handed insult when you say these things, I was impressed with how well-spoken Stallworth is.

I'm assuming Pires wasn't taking too much liberties with his "transcript", but even if he were, the types of insights and consideration to the answers to his questions show that Stallworth is much more than just a fast WR.

If he were a dumb, fast, skilled guy I'd still be happy to have him - but the fact that this guy actually has a brain, unlike a lot of pro athletes, is a huge bonus for us.

Also, I think its clear he really wasn't slamming Philly for not bringing him back. Frankly he probably realizes that they have another, cheaper deep threat on the team now - although I do wonder to what extent having Stallworth on one side of the field helps other WRs improve their stats.

For that reason alone I think having him and the deep threat he provides is going to have the net result of raising everyone's yards after the catch, improve RB stats, and ease pressure on Brady. It will be difficult to draw a direct line between his play and the improved play of others, but I expect it will happen - if he can stay healthy.

Last edited:
A portion of the blog from Reiss:

Stallworth transcript
A transcript of today's media conference call with new Patriots receiver Donte' Stallworth, courtesy of the Patriots:

Q: I heard that when you and Kelley Washington were together at Tennessee, you guys had a little bit of an intense rivalry and competed against each other. Do you feel like that maybe pushed both of you to be better players?

DS: The competitiveness between both of us was strictly business. There was a situation where we went skydiving together and he tried to hide my parachute from me when we were jumping off the plane at 30,000 feet. I'm just playing. [Laughter] He's a competitive guy and I'm a competitive guy. We got along fine. When he first got there, he was just trying to get acclimated to everything and once we started communicating more, that competitiveness between us made us better and it was all better for the team.

Q: Can you just outline the whole draft situation with Kelley? I know it’s been pretty well documented.

DS: He and I talked during the draft [process]. He was trying to decide if he was going to leave school or not. I had pretty much made up my mind. I felt like I was ready to play in the NFL and we pretty much talked throughout the whole process. He basically came to me asking me for advice on what I would do if I were in his shoes. I told him that I thought he ought to stay in school. He ended up staying, which I thought was a good decision for him, but he ended up getting hurt. During that whole process, things got really overblown with the fact that… I don't remember exactly what the story was, but the bottom line was things got overblown and there is no rivalry between he and I. I was hanging out with him a few months ago down here in Miami. He’s an ex-teammate of mine. We've hung out. There's definitely no problem. We communicate every so often, and obviously we will be doing a lot more communicating now that we are teammates again.

This is old news

Sounds like Superbowl talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes